N-Europe

Graphics card query...

Phube

Whatever you do, get a DirectX 10 level card, (GeForce 8 series or Radeon X2 series) because they are far more future proof. I can't say which is the better manufacturer though, depends on your price catagory.

Also, it's ATI/AMD that's the manufacturer, the Radeon is just their PC graphics brand.

I wouldn't recommend dx10 card yet, unless you have a near infinite budget for the pc. Currently the 8800GTX or GTS(can't be arsed to find out what's the difference) is the fastest, but they are the first dx10 cards. They require a lot of power as well. And you'd basically need a core 2 extreme processor to get the most out of the cards.

I don't know enough to buid one so my price for the whole thing is £1000ish (with monitor). And I'm not really a PC gamer. But I will buy the latest GTA (as with the previous') as I'm obviously a Nintendo person I can't play them on my home console. I only have a Geforce 5300 at the mo' and even GTAIII doesn't run very well on it... :(

I wouldn't recommend dx10 card yet, unless you have a near infinite budget for the pc. Currently the 8800GTX or GTS(can't be arsed to find out what's the difference) is the fastest, but they are the first dx10 cards. They require a lot of power as well. And you'd basically need a core 2 extreme processor to get the most out of the cards.

This men speaks the truth, and for you're budget a 8800 would limit the rest of the computer. Maybe only by the end of the year will DX10 be standard.

I think that the last of dx9 cards are getting reasonably priced nowadays. That means radeon x1900xt or GT(the earlier version), x1950 Pro Geforce 7900 GS or 7950 GT.

For 10000£ you should be able to get a reasonably powerful machine.