Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mac Thread

Charlie

There is really no need for a wireless keyboard for a laptop, nor a stand for it. Sorry - you're spending money like you just don't care.

Here's a question: do regular macbooks (not the pros) do synchronised display if you connect another screen, or can you work on both screens? I work on a cracked iBook with a screeen thats 1500x1024, and that's great - but do macbooks have this function from the word go or don't they and can you only work synchronicly with it?

i got the stand because it gets obscenly hot when i'm playing WoW so it'll keep it cool as well as giving me a better viewing angle. got the wireless as opposed to wired ones because i had a bit of money and at the worst i'll give them to my mom for her mac mini media center type set up she's getting this summer, so i'll save a bit of money then as i used my student discount.

the macbook can mirror to a display but can't do dual screen like the pro can i believe.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes they for sure can but if they have the same ports as an iBook you will need and adapter

The port hasn't got shit to do with it - Apple locked the function of multiple diplays on it's consumers electronics, the iBook. I've cracked that, but the software officialy isn't capable of pulling that off on an iBook. So, does the MacBook have the same software restriction, or can you dual-screen within your, uncracked, warranty?

There is really no need for a wireless keyboard for a laptop, nor a stand for it. Sorry - you're spending money like you just don't care.

Wrong again.

Wireless Mouse and Keyboard are ace, they save you wearing away you Laptop one especially if it's your main PC and will be getting used all the time. After all what would you rather replace, a £30 keyboard or take your laptop for repair.

Also the stand is awsome, gives your Macbook eye level view like a monitor and keep's it cool. (Macbook's get veryy very hot).

Wrong again.

Wireless Mouse and Keyboard are ace, they save you wearing away you Laptop one especially if it's your main PC and will be getting used all the time. After all what would you rather replace, a £30 keyboard or take your laptop for repair.

Also the stand is awsome, gives your Macbook eye level view like a monitor and keep's it cool. (Macbook's get veryy very hot).

They get very hot, indeed, though I still don't see the need for a wireless keyboard as long as your laptop one works, and mine still works fine after two years. I do'nt see the hassle of buying one this early on in it's life except if you're rich and want to properly switch everything to 'apple' and spend 200£ more, only because it's Apple-branding and design and actually something you don't use. ANd let me give you this advice: next time, get your wired mighty mouse, since the wireless drains nbatteries.

I'm really sorry, I just don't see the need for another keyboard except maybe to posh. And show chicks that you've got money. The stand, okay, that I can understand.

But I still don't have the answer to my question: can regular iBook do seperate double-screen display or is it mirrorring double-screen display?

I totally agree with getting the mouse, I'll probably buy one soon, but I don't understand why you'd buy a keyboard for a laptop either.

As for the heat thing, I use a Macbook all the time, and it gets warm but I don't think it's that hot. Certainly nothing compared to the Sony Vaios.

Tak, the mouse good then? Is it the bluetooth laser one?

I totally agree with getting the mouse, I'll probably buy one soon, but I don't understand why you'd buy a keyboard for a laptop either.

As for the heat thing, I use a Macbook all the time, and it gets warm but I don't think it's that hot. Certainly nothing compared to the Sony Vaios.

Tak, the mouse good then? Is it the bluetooth laser one?

the need is because the laptop is now on a stand its not very easy to access the built in keyboard, so an external one is a necessity. The wireless mouse was due to snagging annoying me in games, and thw wireless keyboard i admit was ezsessive but only cost £20 more, and since i have an army of rechargable AAs it battery life doesnt bother me too mych, esp for the keyboard. Another reason is that my mom will be getting a mac mini for the living room to act as her main PC, so i thought i'd get the wireless ones, try them out and tell her what i think. i have 7 days returns and a year of warrenty and so far i love both.

The mouse is solid, apart from the scroll ball, which isn't to my taste atm, its great. Yep its the bluetooth one, i like the weight of it a lot, makes it feel expensive, which to be fair it is but it feels so smooth and yummy. i already had a USB optical mouse but i much prefer the Apple one for both aesthetics and for joy of using it.

how do you rename your photos? and can you do it in iphoto?

you just need to keep laptops on hard surfaces

trust me, the macbook pro gets too hot for you to have it comfortable on your lap, on a table etc it gets even hotter, which isnt especially good, so the stand helps get rid of some of the heat.

how do you rename your photos? and can you do it in iphoto?

Your filename? Go to finder. To catalogue them, you'de use iPhoto, but I personally think it's an incredibly slow program to boot and using finder to organize and use your pictures is just a simple and won't bother with the clutter of loads of photo albums on your side and digital photoshoots in your mainscreen. And iPhoto is incredibly slow. And here's a hint: if you're a photoshop-utilizer, get to the photobooter (whatever it's called in english) and set the booter for photocamera's to photobootger itself. It's an incredmentaly simple program to import the photo from your digital camera, without using the heavy loading times of iPhoto. It's also bgetter for your RAM if you're running photoshop and quickly want to import some photos.

I'm really sorry, but the keyboard, really, really is unnecessary for a laptop. There's nothing that convinces me otherwise and, yes, macbook can get very hot - so do iBooks - but they cool enough on a flat, hard surface without the need for a stand. It doesn't cool more because it's a stand, Takeo. Both things, in my opinion, are quite useless.

And the mighty ball mouseball is great as long as it works - but it's really a breeze if you're a veteran Adobe user.

Your filename? Go to finder. To catalogue them, you'de use iPhoto, but I personally think it's an incredibly slow program to boot and using finder to organize and use your pictures is just a simple and won't bother with the clutter of loads of photo albums on your side and digital photoshoots in your mainscreen. And iPhoto is incredibly slow. And here's a hint: if you're a photoshop-utilizer, get to the photobooter (whatever it's called in english) and set the booter for photocamera's to photobootger itself. It's an incredmentaly simple program to import the photo from your digital camera, without using the heavy loading times of iPhoto. It's also bgetter for your RAM if you're running photoshop and quickly want to import some photos.

I'm really sorry, but the keyboard, really, really is unnecessary for a laptop. There's nothing that convinces me otherwise and, yes, macbook can get very hot - so do iBooks - but they cool enough on a flat, hard surface without the need for a stand. It doesn't cool more because it's a stand, Takeo. Both things, in my opinion, are quite useless.

And the mighty ball mouseball is great as long as it works - but it's really a breeze if you're a veteran Adobe user.

Thanks for the help, like i said, i dont want my expensive new macbook getting all hot and bothered and having air flowing both ontop and under it keeps it much cooler. and the apple keyboard is an improvement on the standard keyboard, and the viewing angle really helps as i use my laptop mostly on a desk.

i dont really use spotlight since i don't have that many files on my mac yet, and i know where most of the files i need are.

but wow! i just typed in apple and even my mails from apple came up :D impressive!

You can use it to launch programmes too which is pretty good. When you get lots of programmes that you use regularly you'll run out of space on your dock and it comes in handy then. :heh:

i tried quicksilver a while ago and i really didn't like it as i keep track of my files and when i need to find something i lost its more conveniant to use spotlight.

but if you keep your files in random places around the computer...

Well, my laptop apparently contracted 17 viruses so I exchanged at PC World and got a Mac Mini :)

oooo sexy =P my mom shall be getting one soon to stick in the living room and act as her main computer.

happy happy joy joy! :yay:

why do you use fire fox, safari is alot faster

Even though Safari is a more than capable browser , I find that it is always worth having a second browser just for those difficult pages , and I don't think I am alone on this.

Personally I dont use Firefox myself but I do have Camino (from the Mozilla bods also) installed and I find that to be lightening quick , although it can have a problem with imbedded media.

Ryan , you may also want to consider Adium instead of the MSN client (unless you rely on webcams).

I don't use iTunes at all right now since I don't have an iPod. I'm using Firefox because I have been for a few years so far and it's familiar to me, same with MSN. I tried AdiumX but I only use Yahoo and MSN so Messenger does the job.

That picture is a model my friend did for his mini-series called 'Bright-spark'. Going to sell it to Pixar and make millions..

Thanks for the feedback, any way ;)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!