NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Kev4000

Wii region limitations

Hello! I haven't been here since 2002 now. Anyone remember me? (same name). Anyway, since 2003 I've moved back to Canada from Europe. And I was wondering about the region limitations on the wii. Such as will an NTSC Wii be able to play off pal gamecube games? I got a bunch of gamecube games, but I can't play them on anything but the small screen that attaches to the back of it :sad:

Freeloader compatability not confirmed, Wii not region free, not looking out for the needs of consumers once again...

the freeloader boots but does not seem to work yet with the wii judging by a post on neogaf.

Yeah, there was this one guy who tried to boot Naruto 4 with Freeloader. Game booted successfully, but crashed on the title menu. Of course this moron didn't try Naruto again or test other games. But this is actually pretty promising, as it means Nintendo hasn't intentionally tried to block Freeloader. Furthermore, if the Freeloader at least boots correctly, Datel should be able to do new Freeloader for the Wii.

Yeah, there was this one guy who tried to boot Naruto 4 with Freeloader. Game booted successfully, but crashed on the title menu. Of course this moron didn't try Naruto again or test other games. But this is actually pretty promising, as it means Nintendo hasn't intentionally tried to block Freeloader. Furthermore, if the Freeloader at least boots correctly, Datel should be able to do new Freeloader for the Wii.

:yay: Good news. I Half of my Cube collection are NTSC games.

Freeloader compatability not confirmed, Wii not region free, not looking out for the needs of consumers once again...

Games companies make a lot of money from region-restrictions on games. I think you're confusing a need with a want.

Less nerdy casual gamers don't give two shits about importing the new Super Shuttlecock Senshi game from Japan, so it's hardly a need. Region free would be nice, but surely you understand why such restrictions are in place. Money.

Games companies make a lot of money from region-restrictions on games. I think you're confusing a need with a want.

Less nerdy casual gamers don't give two shits about importing the new Super Shuttlecock Senshi game from Japan, so it's hardly a need. Region free would be nice, but surely you understand why such restrictions are in place. Money.

I don't get how it gets them THAT much more money. I think regions are stupid, If they didn't region lock things they'd get money from games bought by other regions (I mean, the figures of Naruto GNT would have lost quite a few numbers without importers)

Because the electronics exchange rate is not directionally proportional to the currency exchange rate.

When you consider that Japan is very close to the Sony factory (in Japan) then you will realise that the cost of shipping the consoles half way around the world is gone. Thus Japan saves a lot of money on electronics.

There are other factors, but region free has worked well for Nintendo DS.. and it seems silly to not support it again.

Whilst I am a big importer, myself, I do understand why regions exist; admittedly, I wish Nintendo would give developers/publishers the option to release games without region checks. There are two main reasons for continued inclusion of region locks:

1. A developer can "sell" a game to several publishers, especially so if a particular publisher only works in one geographical region. It helps with deal-making if a developer can show to a publisher, in one region, that they're not going to end up selling against copies freely imported from another region. The problem comes when a developer doesn't make the effort to find a publisher in a region, or is simply unable to find one if they do make the effort.

2. Content in games, i.e. third party music tracks, special appearances of celebrities, etc, might possibly be only available for licensing in one particular geographical region, or it might be that their appeal is extremely limited in another region. This is very common in the case of music tracks, where different regions will have different track listings.

Sign in to follow this