NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Stocka

CD-I

I was wondering if anyone else here has a Phillips CD-I?

When I was young my dad had one and got tons of games cheap for it as some part of a deal or something, so I played quite a fair bit.

The console has been mainly well know for the failure it was and the critcism it gets, especially the Zelda games for it. Well although I agree they are bad compared to the proper Zelda games, I didn't find them so shitty that they are totally unplayable. They were just... odd is the word(heck practically every game on the console is ODD). And certain parts (especially cut scenes) were painful. If anyone has any questions please fire away.

Here's a list of all the games I think we have

The 7th Guest

The Apprentice

Battleship

Burn: Cycle

Caesar's World of Boxing

Caesar's World of Gambling

Chaos Control

Defender of the Crown

Flashback: The quest for identity

Hotel Mario

International Tennis Open

Lemmings

Link: The Faces of Evil

Lost Eden

Micro Machines

Myst

Pinball

Space Ace

Tetris

Zelda's Adventure

Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon

The unfinished Mario game on it looked OK. Basically SMB with photo backgrounds

I never had one myself, but I had a friend who had one. My experience with it is limited though. I've played some Hotel Mario and Space Ace (that's the interactive sci-fi cartoon right?). I don't really think of it as a console.. Sure, games were a big part of it, but can't remember it being really marketed as a console at the time. In retro-spective I can conclude I didn't really miss out on anything (I really wanted one back then), I guess it has some collectors value now though.

Smeagol, I played Space Ace on the SNES... and found it sucked quite a bit!

I wouldnt mind owning a CD-I but I doubt I could get much enjoyment out o one considering all the slagging it gets. Whats Hotel Mario like though? Sounds quite interesting.

The Apprentice

AHHHH!!!! BEST. GAME. EVER!

I would pay £50 for a CD-I just to play that FANTASTIC game. I want, I want...

Anyway, our school had a CD-I and all we really played was The Apprentice and some western game with swearing in it. We also had Lemmings but for some reason no one played it... oh well.

Smeagol, I played Space Ace on the SNES... and found it sucked quite a bit!

I wouldnt mind owning a CD-I but I doubt I could get much enjoyment out o one considering all the slagging it gets. Whats Hotel Mario like though? Sounds quite interesting.

I didn't know there was a SNES version, but we're talking about CD-i here. The SNES game looks like a platformer. The CD-i game, wasn't really a game though, more an interactive cartoon. "gameplay" was very limited. And not really the thing you'd see on the SNES (certainly not with those graphics).

So if you're expecting a game, then yeah, you'll be very disappointed. You could enjoy it for the animation I guess.

Hotel Mario.. I really don't know what the objective was anymore. The levels were 1 screen, you had to open doors, I believe you collected coins, but don't know any more than that. It was more a puzzle game I think.. There's no platform action.

It's kind of a platfomer in that you can jump like normal.

I really like Hotel Mario, its got a really clever concept and the level design is great.

The cutscenes are pretty painful but memorable :heh:

"Mario: You know what they say, all toasters toast toast!"

One of my favourite places was the hardbrick hotel.

hardbrick-23.jpg

And of course the place with the Elvis goombas

blitz_snarlton-20.jpg

Like emasher said, would it be possible for Nintendo to acquire the rights to put the Mario and Zelda games on the Virtual Console? Considering it's their own property and I know a lot of Mario and Zelda fans would buy these to complete their collections.

I didn't know there was a SNES version, but we're talking about CD-i here. The SNES game looks like a platformer. The CD-i game, wasn't really a game though, more an interactive cartoon. "gameplay" was very limited. And not really the thing you'd see on the SNES (certainly not with those graphics).

So if you're expecting a game, then yeah, you'll be very disappointed. You could enjoy it for the animation I guess.

So are we talking the 'real' version of Space Ace here ?

I have to admit to being able to complete that in the arcade, enjoyed it plenty even though it amounted to no further than tapping the correct direction at the right time...(Eeh when I was a lad, laserdisc gaming etc)

seeing as phillips is out of the gaming market (unlike rare) it shouldn't be too hard and ninty do own the franchises.

how big our the games (in tearms of MB not disk size)

Sign in to follow this