NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cookyman

A short rant from a gaming veteran

Please tell me I'm not the oldest on here theres got to be more oldies like me here!

:

welcome to the club

My "consoles" so far:

Some Pong thing in the 70's

Phillips G7000

Commodore 64

Amiga 500

My first and only PC in 1993

Nintendo 64 (in 1999 I think it was)

Dreamcast

GameCube

Ps2

xbox

So... im quite the old lad my self here.. 36 too!

welcome to the club

My "consoles" so far:

Some Pong thing in the 70's

Phillips G7000

Commodore 64

Amiga 500

My first and only PC in 1993

Nintendo 64 (in 1999 I think it was)

Dreamcast

GameCube

Ps2

xbox

So... im quite the old lad my self here.. 36 too!

I'm old-ish too!!

Commodore Vic 20 FTW!!!!

Amstrad 6128k!!

386 PC

SNES

Game Boy

Game Cube

DS

I think we were all expecting Wii to be cheaper, I was hoping for £150, so it's not that much more. Personally I still think it's a good price compared to the 360, which lets be honest is not worth buying unless you get the full thing which is about £300. As for the PS3, that's gonna be silly money.

However, I can see people's point of view when they say you get far more in terms of graphical power, HD and DVD playback etc with the other two. I also can see why people think that it is a lot for a console which is only about 1.5 times the power of the gamecube - a 5 year old system.

But at the same time technological advances can not just be measured in terms of graphical power and CPU speed. The Wii in a lot of ways offers far greater technical advances than the 360 and PS3 put together, Nintendo have dropped out of the graphics race and have tried to redefine home gaming.

I think Nintendo's price overall will be a hit with the public, more likely it will be the gaming community that will rebel over it.

Well I'm only 20 so I was born when the NES was released (yet never got it) and have had:

Amiga 500

Master System

SNES

Megadrive

Saturn

N64

Playstation

Dreamcast

Playstation 2

Gamecube

And in handhelds I had all the Gameboys through to the SP and then I bought DS and then DS Lite.

I don't think I'll ever stop gaming. It's what I was brought up on.

Right well I'm 36 and I feel like a right old git with all you young guys on here.

Not the only one, 36 too; shall we all start comparing birthdays? ;)

Anyway:

Binatone game system /w tennis, football, squash and squash practice

Atari VCS/2600

Sinclair Spectrum 48K

Sinclair Spectrum 128K +2

Commodore Amiga 500

Commodore Amiga 4000 EC030

Sony PlayStation

PC

Nintendo GameCube /w GBA, GBA SP, DS & DS Lite

Wii (though begrudge the extra £10, over the € price, and the extra £25 over the US price + VAT)

I used to play on an Atari STF when i was young. I literally took about 10 minutes to load some games lol. Though i remember the spectrum being even worse due to those cassette tapes.

Not the only one, 36 too; shall we all start comparing birthdays? ;)

Yes! thanks goodness some other wrinklies on here too - thats better! :yay:

I'll add my name to the list of oldies - 43

Systems owned:-

Binatone Pong game

Atari VCS

Commodore Vic 20

Atari Lynx

Atari ST

Yamaha MSX

Toshiba MSX

Gameboy

N64

Gameboy Advance

GameCube

2 original DS's

1 DS lite

Binatone Pong game

Sorry to go off topic here, but all this talk of Binatone systems reminded me of something. Did any of you try moving the game mode slider so that it was resting between tennis and football - then you got tennis with two controllable bats instead of one? Man, how cool was that? ;)

I'll add my name to the list of oldies - 43

Systems owned:-

Binatone Pong game

Atari VCS

Commodore Vic 20

Atari Lynx

Atari ST

Yamaha MSX

Toshiba MSX

N64

GameCube

The man's got class!! I though I was teh only one... Mmmmm 20 minutes of tape loading to play that helicopter game!!

The man's got class!! I though I was teh only one... Mmmmm 20 minutes of tape loading to play that helicopter game!!

My uncle had one, and I was always jealous of his Icicle Works and Treasure Island games that wouldn't work on my Commodore 16. *Grumble*

Vic 20 - Standard memory 3.5K. Boy did programmers have to write decent code in those days, Jeff Minter being one of the best.

Although I did manage to upgrade it to a massive 32K !!!

The worst game I had for loading times was The Hobbit - 30 minutes and it didn't always load correctly the first time. Kids these days don't know how lucky they are! :indeed:

Vic 20 - Standard memory 3.5K. Boy did programmers have to write decent code in those days, Jeff Minter being one of the best.

Although I did manage to upgrade it to a massive 32K !!!

The worst game I had for loading times was The Hobbit - 30 minutes and it didn't always load correctly the first time. Kids these days don't know how lucky they are! :indeed:

Yeah Jeff Minter - well just think we might get some of his C64 games on the VC - revenge of the mutant camels springs to mind or how about sheep in space?

Sign in to follow this