NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
christophicus

Broadband via a usb cable.

Ok i have my broadband connected via my usb cable, im just wondering if my connection might be bottlenecked because of the usb connection.

My broadband srevice is NTl 6Mb

My PC is as follows

800mhz P3

512 MB ram

30 GB hdd's

integrated graphics.

creative sound card.

I would recon that i have USB 1.1 What kind of USb support do you think apc that old would have?

USB 1.1 only goes at 1.5 Mbps, so you'll lose out on a quarter of your connection. Can't you do it by ethernet?

NTL do 6mbit? What a weird speed... and Moria is right. You'll seriously need to use an etherhet cable for anything above 2mbit.

My NTL broadband box is shit and by the sound of things im gonna need to have an ethernet port fitted into my computer to not lose any of that precious speed when I get Sky due to me not having USB 2.0 ports.

Damn my lack of technical know-how..

your much beater of using the ethernet port anyway for not just speed but security reasons as well.

usb 1.1 there is two speeds 1.5Mbps & 12Mbps if the modem is marked as fullspeed usb 1.1 it has a maximum speed of 12mbps, low end mice, keyboards normaly just use 1.5mbps.

My NTL broadband box is shit and by the sound of things im gonna need to have an ethernet port fitted into my computer to not lose any of that precious speed when I get Sky due to me not having USB 2.0 ports.

Damn my lack of technical know-how..

Let me sum up what you have to do.

1.Get an ethernet card.

2.Open PC case.

3.Find a free PCI slot. (it's the white one usually)

Put the card in the slot and install the screw that keeps it in place. (It's a good idea to touch the metal casing of the PC as you install the card. To prevent frying some components by static electricity)

4.Close PC case.

5.Install drivers if needed.

And I second that what ndreamer said. Can't remember if it was high or full speed that is used in some places. Other is basically 480MBps as USB2 and the other is the 12MBps.

And at the very least I can say that cable broadband sucks. I'm paying for 3MBps yet I haven't ever reached that kind of speed. Plus there's constant packet loss.

Let me sum up what you have to do.

1.Get an ethernet card.

2.Open PC case.

3.Find a free PCI slot. (it's the white one usually)

Put the card in the slot and install the screw that keeps it in place. (It's a good idea to touch the metal casing of the PC as you install the card. To prevent frying some components by static electricity)

4.Close PC case.

5.Install drivers if needed.

And I second that what ndreamer said. Can't remember if it was high or full speed that is used in some places. Other is basically 480MBps as USB2 and the other is the 12MBps.

And at the very least I can say that cable broadband sucks. I'm paying for 3MBps yet I haven't ever reached that kind of speed. Plus there's constant packet loss.

I'm not gonna assume you don't know this, but you might not. But you do know that having 3Mbs will net you around 300kb/s actual download right? I say this because my mate always did this, and wondered why 56k would only get him 5kb/s on KaZaA :/

I'm not gonna assume you don't know this, but you might not. But you do know that having 3Mbs will net you around 300kb/s actual download right? I say this because my mate always did this, and wondered why 56k would only get him 5kb/s on KaZaA :/

Yes I understand what you are saying and while a haven't made the calculations (8bit = 1byte etc) I can say that it should dl stuff at a constant rate. And while other connection that my family has (512KBps) downloads usually 60-70Kb/s (b=bytes) . So same basic math mean this should get 6 times as much on ideal conditions. Thus far the speed has varied between 20kb/s and ~ 380kb/s. But usually is less than 200kb/s. But that's because the cable connection is shared between everyone in this block of flats.

Still feels like I'm paying for more that I'm getting. And the packet loss is annoying in internet games.

USB 1.1 only goes at 1.5 Mbps, so you'll lose out on a quarter of your connection. Can't you do it by ethernet?

Ok well i have been getting more then 1.5 Mb/s before( even though that is around what im getting now). The highest speed i have had has been 4Mb/s but that was when NTL had the line open to a 10 Mb/s speed. Now that they have pulled it back to a 6Mb line the top speed has been around 250KB/s.

I suppose i could buy an ethernet card but monay as always is very tight.

Yeah Jordan i am in Ireland and NTl here do a 6Mb line . It is their fastest line availible here.

My 2 megabit lets me download at 2 megabits a second. Which works out to be around 200 kilobytes / second.

People always get confused/mixed up with the bits and bytes.

Sign in to follow this