N-Europe

Wii GameCube play

Sabre

Do you think, or hope, the Wii will have some kind of "Force Progressive Scan" option or setting so PAL Cube games can be played in Progressive scan on HDTV's?

Im assuming that the progressive options are hidden and not entirely removed on PAL games as there are modchips that can force progressive scan. Of course for NTSC games It won't matter...

Even if there is no progressive mode though the games will still look better than RGB with the component cable.

Even if it's not the case i doubt it's too hard to force progressive scan. After all it does not have to do with the game code. I think the Wii, through hardware can force the Progressive Scan. Mmm, maybe i'm not right because if that was the case, then every game would output in PG without a problem. Pedro, give us some light here please.

Are you sure about this? I think this isn't the case at all.

Games are rendered progressively, then the image is interlaced when it's sent to the TV. There's no reason why there isn't an option in the GameCube's system menu to constantly output in 480P - the Xbox has the option to, if you've got component cables attached. I reckon Nintendo will probably offer the option this time round though - more people have 480P compatible TVs now than when the GameCube launched.

Games are rendered progressively, then the image is interlaced when it's sent to the TV. There's no reason why there isn't an option in the GameCube's system menu to constantly output in 480P - the Xbox has the option to, if you've got component cables attached. I reckon Nintendo will probably offer the option this time round though - more people have 480P compatible TVs now than when the GameCube launched.

Then why doesn't every game support 480p?

Beats me. Developer laziness to add the option? Pretty much all of Nintendo's games supported 480P. Even then, Nintendo didn't seem to be too fussed about pushing 480P to people - if you wanted the necessary cables, you had to buy them direct from Nintendo, and removed the Digital AV Out from later GameCubes because barely anyone used it.