N-Europe

Can someone give me some advice...

triforcemario

Well DV quality video takes ~200Mb/minute, so you'd only get 5 minutes of footage on an 1Gb SD card at the same quality. Dv tapes can hold 60 minutes of footage. Or 90 in long play mode, but this stretches the tapes so it's not generally a good idea to use it.

The obvious disadvantage of the DV format is that you have to rewind/fast forward the tape. Whereas in SD cards you can pretty much jump to certain time at will.

Also there are models that record straight to a dvd or a hard drive. Could be worth a look.

I'll post some info to the videocams... Note: Translated badly from Spanish.

Digital Videocamara Canon DM-MV900 ··································································· tecnologia: System of video: MiniDV. Electronic stabilizer of image EIS. resolution: 8 megapixeles approach: Auto/Manual digital zoom lens: optico zoom lens 25x, digital zoom lens 800x LCD: 2,7", format 16:9 of wide screen sound: Digital stere PCM 16 bits - 48 KHz 2 channels 12 bits - 32 KHz 4 channels focal length: 43,6 - 1,090 mm feeding: bateria Ion-lithium connectivity: FireWire connection for PC dimensions: 49 mm x 92 mm x 115 mm weight: 435 grams include: - compact Adapter of current CA-570 - Cable and for alternating current (CA) - Battery BP-2L5 - Strap for shoulder SS-900 - Cable for video stere STV-250N - Adapter Scart PC-A10 garantia: 1 year

Digital camera Canon DM-MV830 ··································································· tecnologia: Genuine objective Canon. Optical zoom lens until 800,000 20x. CCD of píxeles of 1/6 of inch and processor Canon DIGIC DV, Stabilizer of image. Totally automatic "Easy" way, Way 16:9 of hi-res for panoramic display recordings, Function of digital photos XGA of hi-res focuses: Way AE AE (automatic exhibition) programmed, Easy, car, sports, pictures, precise light, sand and snow, little light, way Night digital zoom lens: Optical zoom lens 20x, digitalis 400x LCD: 2,4"/112.000 memory: MMC, SD compression image: Image fixes 1,024 xs 768 (XGA), focal length: Focal length video 53.7-1,074 mm balance white: TTL, Car, Ajustado/Preajustado, Blockade feeding: Battery Type NB-2LH connectivity: 2,0 USB Exit AV i-Link Exit dimensions: 51 xs 93 xs 130 mm weight: 430 grams garantia: 1 year

I would imagine that a camera with an SD card takes digital images on to it and video onto DV tapes. I have never heard of a video camera that stores video on a flash card, whereas you do get cameras that will take pictures on to tape.

Yea, im 99.99% sure that both will store video on DV tapes, its just that the SD one can take photos too.

Well the MV900 is a newer model. And the 830 is a discontinued model. So I'd think that the MV900 would be better. But it can't record still images. But you said that you probably didn't need it to.

Try to find some brochures on them and compare the specs there. Should be enough if you just want to record some videos on it.