N-Europe

Installing A New Hard Drive

Eddage

Ok guys, I need your help!

I just bought a new hard drive (this one) but am having trouble getting it to work.

I have plugged it all in ok but for some reason it isn't being recognised properly. When I turn the computer on it quickly displays...

None raid

Serial_Ch0 Master: Maxtor 6V250F

Press <TAB> key into user window!

...before it continues to boot up (I still have my old drive installed, but eventually it will be removed). So I press the tab key and it brings up the Raid bios thing, at this point I have no idea what is going on!

On the raid bios screen I am told "the number of disks is not adequate to create a RAID, it also tells me information about the drive (name, mode, size and status).

Basically I have no idea what creating a raid is or even if I want to do it and why the drive isn't being recognised by Windows. It also shows up on the normal bios in the hard drive section!?

Cheers in advance for any help.

Ah right, you would've thought that it would mention that in the motherboard manuel!

Cheers for the help, I'll see if I can get it working now!

Update...

Ok, I've managed to get the computer to recognise the new drive but obviously thats only with windows installed on the original. The trouble is since I want to get rid of the 80gb one I need to install the drivers when I do the windows installation.

The thing is the drivers I need are only on a cd and you need to use a floppy during the setup, the other problem being the fact that my computer doesn't actually have a floppy drive!

Is there any way I can use the cd during the setup process or is my only option to get a copy of the drivers on a floppy disk and then install a floppy drive in my computer?!

What kind of mobo is this? Mine came with a floppy that contained the sata drivers.

Anyhow I guess that resorting to the floppy solution is your best bet. I haven't had to install an XP to a pc that required the drivers. All XP's that I have installed recently already have sp2, which I believe, contain a generic sata driver.

If you search the web you might find a way to create an XP installation disk that contains the newest updates (SP2). I'm guessing your original XP cd only contains SP1?

Mmm, damn, it's going to be hard if you don't have a floppy drive. I think the only solution is to really ask someone to lend you his drive or go buy one (they're as cheap as 8€, or 5£ for the britt guys).

That's why i have never abducted from my floppy drive. It has come in handy in various situations.

After you have the drive you'll have to download the apropriate drivers to put in the floppy as they probably are not on the bundled CD. My motherboard came bundled with the appropriate floppy with the drivers inside. Maybe you have them too.

Actually the floppies are nowadays pretty much useless in modern computers. You can set them to boot from an USB memory stick or from a cd. Can't think of a reason to get one either. I abandoned my floppy drive three years ago and haven't needed one since.

Actually the floppies are nowadays pretty much useless in modern computers. You can set them to boot from an USB memory stick or from a cd. Can't think of a reason to get one either. I abandoned my floppy drive three years ago and haven't needed one since.

Probably his motherboard does not have that feature. Mine does not.

Microsoft could have allowed for drivers install through CD, instead of floppy only.

Ah, you're problem has evolved! (Requested bump. :heh:)

You are problem has evolved? I thought you were old and wise!

More related to the (now solved) issue, if you ever need to add drivers and such to a Windows XP disc, look up "XP Slipstreaming" or similar in google, you can basically make your own XP disc with extra drivers built in :)

You are problem has evolved? I thought you were old and wise!

More related to the (now solved) issue, if you ever need to add drivers and such to a Windows XP disc, look up "XP Slipstreaming" or similar in google, you can basically make your own XP disc with extra drivers built in :)

I don't remember writing something that bad. I'm embarrassed. :sad: