N-Europe

Weird DVD Playback

Ashley

Not sure how to describe it but I've noticed with a few DVDs that it plays back with like lines where movement is (picture later). It can't be the DVD as the one I've capped below is new, and its the same on my DVD player and DVD Drive.

Anyway heres an example;

vlcsnap136049nh5.jpg

Wondering if its fixable, as I wanted to cap The Comeback.

Interlaced footage. Just the way some DVDs are. If it's NTSC it may be fixable with no artifacts, otherwise it's just the way it is.

T'is NTSC (Pete knows the last time I bought a UK DVD). How could it possibly be fixed? (cheers for the speedy reply by the way)

It's probably telecined. (Taking 24 fps footage and making it 30fps footage so that it plays on TVs by repeating half of some frames.)

Fixing depends on your end product. You can make a dvd by fixing the telecine then speeding the footage up to 25fps, which is pal. But if you plan to rip the dvd and then convert to avi, say, then you fix it (something called inverse telecine) and end up with a 24fps file that'll play fine on your computer.

I'm off to bed, but if your end product is avi then it saves a lot of hassle to use DVDFab Decrypter to rip the whole DVD to your HDD and then AutoGK to load an IFO and just let it do its thing. It is very good at detecting and fixing.

Otherwise you go down the hairy road of avisynth, dgindex and virtualdub.

I don't really want to rip the whole thing, just press the cap button. Seems like a great big faff.

Cap as in a screen cap of one frame? If it's a specific frame then that's gonna be work unless you want the blendy blur that Bogbas puts up with. :heh: But you should know that 3 out of every 5 frames will not have the combing effect seen above so multiple capping will give you a decent frame eventually. Also, practically every NTSC dvd you own will have this effect just it's more noticeable on high motion scenes. (PAL has higher resolution, and no flicker, but they speed everything up by 4% and pitch-correct the audio - check movie lengths on amazon.co.uk against amazon.com)

Yeah I know about the speed up thing, the Serenity trailer is weird in PAL, as is Veronica Mars. Everyone's squirrely.

Anyway I want to make lots of caps, but yes, just of specific frames.

Would buying an American DVD Player fix this problem for general viewing? (obviously not for capping, but just for watching)

Nope, it's what Americans put up with every day on TV.

If you have the time and inclination you can perfectly reconstruct frames from adjacent ones using photoshop. Just strip out every other line of horizontal pixels and merge the resulting image with the corresponding strips from an adjacent frame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine#3:2_pulldown_.28technically.2C_2:3_pulldown.29