NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
That Guy

PC World (Advice?)

At the end of 2003 I bought a PC from PC World, and decided that given my luck with hardware of any kind, I'd purchase the extra coverplan. My computer has been crashing for ages now (months and months), and so 6 weeks ago today, I decided to call the PC World call centre to see if they could fix my problem. It turns out, they couldn't.

I've had a new hard drive sent to me, someone came out to fit a new motherboard but it didn't work, then someone took mine away for 3 weeks to be repaired, then they came to fit a new CPU but sent the wrong one, then they fitted a new one, and still it freezes up.

So 6 weeks on and I called them to see about getting a new computer (Coverplan says they will replace your machine or give you vouchers if they can't repair it in 6 weeks). Today I am being told that they now have to take the whole PC away for another week, test it, and if they don't find a problem, then I'm going to recieve it back and tough shit basically. I told the guy if I recieve it back its going in the bin.

Is there anything I can do if they send the machine back to me? I can't put up with the computer anymore. The guy actually started telling me that someone had put in the notes there wasn't a problem with the machine. In my experience PC World have been utterly unhelpful. With my iPod, after an initial problem with them sending me a box, I finally sent it off and recieved a new iPod 3 days later. Compared to that this is a piss take.

Anyone else had any problems with PC World? Or is it just me?

Are you sure it's not software related?

(Plus, this should be on the tech board.)

PC world are totaly wankers!!! i hate them retail PC shops along with currys and even comet. i know this small lil PC shop which is open to the public and trade for parts etc and when i needed a new pc i went to them gave them what specs i wanted they sorted everything out, made it and gave me a two year warrenty and its still running now ooooh 4 years later (though it is rather slow now lol) and if i ever need help or repairs i just go to them.

it rare to find these kinds of shops with decent people working in them. but i do anything to avoid buying big things from major retailers cos they just fuck you arund.

sorry to hear about that problem but i cant think of a thing except maybe contacting trading standards or similar and talking it over with them if PC World dont aknowledge the problem. i think its arse that they have to prove what your saying is true, i think they should just believe you and give you a new pc of the same spec.

Are you sure it's not software related?

(Plus, this should be on the tech board.)

I formatted, tried it with nothing installed, I've had it crash during a CPU test (when the frigging engineer was here), it also crashed during a hard drive scan when they were first testing it.

If they don't send me a new computer then I'm not buying anything from Currys, PC World or any of those shops again. The next computer I buy will be a Mac from Apple. I'm so annoyed today.

Yeah, PC world sold my family one of those coverplans, and it was only after my dad read the small print that it turned out to be obselete...

I think the best route of action is to complain directly to the management at PC World - maybe go into the store and kick up some fuss. If not - Trading Standards. Say that you were missold a warrenty and see what they can do.

Other than that - holding a huge placard outside PC World saying what utter shits they are might cause them to think twice.

PCworld should be avoided at all costs. If you actually like computers, you really shouldn't go there.

This makes me think I'll regret buying this new computer from currys soon.......

Sign in to follow this