NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ford Prefect

genuinely worried (middle east now)

i'm sure you've all seen whats been going off on the news and if you haven't get out from under your bloody rock and pay attention to important work events. (yes there are things more important than some game or who wins a bloody football match)

any ways. i'm genuinely worried that this conflict that has flared up recently following the kidnaps could engulf the entire region. Syria have come in on lebanon's side saying they will "extend full support" to their neighbour. This of course will include military support. Iran have already said that if Israel attacks Syria at all then they will relatiate against Israel. basically meaning another war on our hands. this could get alot more messy than ones in the past too.

i'm watching the unfolding events with great interest. especially as me and my father may yet get contracts to do some jobs out in the middle east. i certainly don't want to be caught up in the middle of a war!

i'd be interest on what you lot think to the situation out there. i'm actually surprised the topic hasn't cropped up yet. you guys are slipping seriously!

I have also been watching the recent events with....well, growing horror. I Didn't know about those nations pledging support though.

it's amazing how fast it's happend though. I know Israel takes shit from nobody but they appear to be gonig on a goddamn rampage this last couple of weeks....

Edit: I would have started a thread myself, but...well there's more serious forums about, and I wasn't sure how the debate would go here.

It's another typically Middle-Eastern mess. Kidanapping Israeli soldiers was bad enough, but now shelling and bombing Palestinian and Lebanese civilians? What's the point of it all?

Edit: I would have started a thread myself, but...well there's more serious forums about, and I wasn't sure how the debate would go here.

You'd be surprised. There's been plenty of serious threads on here and C-E before.

As i was saying to Ford, it sounds like it's all kicking off right now. This isn't just a conflict between Lebanon and Israel anymore, as other countries are taking sides and coming in. It's one of these things that looks like it's going to get worse before it'll get any better.

I think this a good oportunity for the west to finally take some control over the region without being called invaders, just let things slide a little to the point it would seem obligatory to send troops there.

I think this a good oportunity for the west to finally take some control over the region without being called invaders, just let things slide a little to the point it would seem obligatory to send troops there.

aaaaand this ia desirable because?

I hope to high heaven that that was sarcasm.

This is one of those horrible conflicts where all the Governments involved have everything to gain, but the innocents caught in between are the ones who suffer. The Israeli, Plastinian and Lebanese governments can all expect huge political capital from their own people by continuing hostilites against each other, while innocent civilians are being bombed, shelled and hit by rockets.

World stability, we can't continue the way this is, fear of terrorism, oil prices raising, constant threats by despotist countrys. This needs to stop, and unfortunately it seems it can't be done just by words.

i would like to point out that israel has been under almost constant rocket bombardment for months now. so this "rampage" is somewhat understandable.

last i heard this morning there had been over 200 rockets fired into israel from lebanon alone in the last 48 hours. the figure is likely much higher now as there are hidden rocket positions running the full length of the israeli lebanon border.

also there's no room for joking or piss taking in this thread, make a serious post or fuck the hell off elsewhere......

My view is that Israel, as the regions only millitary power, has always had the responsibility to end the conflict. I know this is alot bigger than Palestine, but in that situation, Israel withdrawing properly from Gaza and the West Bank would, with various other effrots, resolve the majority of the problems in that situation.

They do have a right to defend themselves though. no question.

World stability, we can't continue the way this is, fear of terrorism, oil prices raising, constant threats by despotist countrys. This needs to stop, and unfortunately it seems it can't be done just by words.

I disagree. Most polls show an average of 63% in favour of a two state solution in Palestinian territory, while Lebanon has repetedly called for a ceasfire. I understand why everyone is a bit pissed, but a total faliure to negotiate from all sides has lead to this resurgence in the conflict.

Yeah but we all know that's not gonna happen, they hate each other and are unwilling to give anything away. What's happening now was not only predictable but unavoidable, and one must take advantage of the situation. I know this may sound kinda of sick, I don't like wars, but this time is the only solution.

I disagree. Most polls show an average of 63% in favour of a two state solution in Palestinian territory, while Lebanon has repetedly called for a ceasfire. I understand why everyone is a bit pissed, but a total faliure to negotiate from all sides has lead to this resurgence in the conflict.

And plus the fact Shino, has occupation shown a very high success rate recently? With Iraq and Afghanistan I mean.

Edit: War is an absolute evil. It is not a solution.

And plus the fact Shino, has occupation shown a very high success rate recently? With Iraq and Afghanistan I mean.

Edit: War is an absolute evil. It is not a solution.

Because it was not done in such circumstances, and it looks like what it is, an invasion.

But that's all that this would be. Wouldn't it just be the UN or whoever sending in a bunch of different countries' troops to try and sort all the other countries out?

Would the UN even agree to something like that?

israel = state founded by terrorists. FACT

neither side is an angel.

It certenaly isn't the lame false escuse the US gave when invading Iraq, it's a peacekeeping operation in the region with it's inherent political influences.

Dudes, you're forgetting the 6 day war, read up on it and you'll see that Israel has nothing to be afraid of. (Apart from casualities i guess)

Though shit, I might have to cancel my holiday now :( (I was going to Israel, i was actually looking forward to it, as i'll get to see some people i haven't seen in ages)

You should be fine in Israel, just don't accidentally wander over the 10-foot high wall they're building around Gaza.

I't's not that i'm worried about, it's the fact i'm going somewhere the godan(?) heights, so there's a major threat of rocket'age. Even then, i'm not overly worried, it's just i wanna go to Israel and see my friends :(

Dudes, you're forgetting the 6 day war, read up on it and you'll see that Israel has nothing to be afraid of. (Apart from casualities i guess)

Though shit, I might have to cancel my holiday now :( (I was going to Israel, i was actually looking forward to it, as i'll get to see some people i haven't seen in ages)

you see to be forgetting the time their forces were decimated by arabs carrying shoulder launched anti armour rockets. or the fact they are vastly out numbered and have nearly lost on frequent occasions....

not to mention the fact that its better to avoid a war than to say "bring it!" this isn't a fucking video game, people will die! they're dying now!

You should be fine in Israel, just don't accidentally wander over the 10-foot high wall they're building around Gaza.

yeah right, safe from the rockets and the palastinians tunneling into israel.... of course.......

you see to be forgetting the time their forces were decimated by arabs carrying shoulder launched anti armour rockets. or the fact they are vastly out numbered and have nearly lost on frequent occasions....

not to mention the fact that its better to avoid a war than to say "bring it!" this isn't a fucking video game, people will die! they're dying now!

I'm not saying they should be saying 'Bring It!', but it's not like they can avoid war now.

I don`t see how the aggression can end. Neither sides are willing to give in, and the scars run deeper each day. Lebanon does not interfer with the rocket launches, and Israel bombs civilians.

Sign in to follow this