NEurope
Stocka

Football Season 2006/2007

its called the champions league, no place for teams like lille, porto, arsenal and other poor teams that make it there due to being 3rd/4th in the league.

i feel its being losing its passion for the past few years, maybe due to high number of games and teams that "think they are big". should return to the old days of truely being the "Champions league" with only champions and the odd second place club.

its called the champions league, no place for teams like lille, porto, arsenal and other poor teams that make it there due to being 3rd/4th in the league.

i feel its being losing its passion for the past few years, maybe due to high number of games and teams that "think they are big". should return to the old days of truely being the "Champions league" with only champions and the odd second place club.

Great, so we'd have the champions of Poland, Estonia and Iceland battling it out to become champions of Europe :rolleyes:. The way it works now means that the strongest leagues get more teams entered, hence increasing the overall quality. Personally I like it, and to be honest it's not likely to change any time soon. Any attempts to do so by UEFA would be stopped by the G14.

Also aren't Porto the current Portugese champions?

Arsenal a poor team?

According to the armchair over there.

[i'm getting bitter now, I'll stop]

I hate this argument "it's called the champion's league, it should only have champions in it". Well how about we rename the competition the "european cup" to shut up those silly pundits.

I hate this argument "it's called the champion's league, it should only have champions in it". Well how about we rename the competition the "european cup" to shut up those silly pundits.

see that exists, its called Uefa cup, and has been shite since cupwinner cup was abbandond.

personally, i think champions league should be exclusive to champions and have polish, albenia, hungry and the rest (2nd from spain, italy england and holland) battle it out.

less games would make it more intense. also helps the fixture list for huge teams.

And arsenal are a poor team, proven by lack of silverware throughout history, there was never a time where they showed dominance, to me, they will always be a 3/4th team in EPL. just because you win 2-3 trophies it dont make you with the greats, remember nottingham forset everyone?

see that exists, its called Uefa cup, and has been shite since cupwinner cup was abbandond.

personally, i think champions league should be exclusive to champions and have polish, albenia, hungry and the rest (2nd from spain, italy england and holland) battle it out.

So why cant Porto be in the Champions League since they're the champions of Portugal then?

And arsenal are a poor team, proven by lack of silverware throughout history, there was never a time where they showed dominance, to me, they will always be a 3/4th team in EPL. just because you win 2-3 trophies it dont make you with the greats, remember nottingham forset everyone?

Arsenal's tally of thirteen League Championships is the third highest in English football, after Liverpool and Manchester United, while the total of ten FA Cups is the second highest, after Manchester United. Arsenal have achieved three League and FA Cup "Doubles" (in 1971, 1998 and 2002), a joint record shared with Manchester United, and were the first side in English football to complete the FA Cup and League Cup double in 1993.

yep 2-3 trophies.

So why cant Porto be in the Champions League since they're the champions of Portugal then?

Arsenal's tally of thirteen League Championships is the third highest in English football, after Liverpool and Manchester United, while the total of ten FA Cups is the second highest, after Manchester United. Arsenal have achieved three League and FA Cup "Doubles" (in 1971, 1998 and 2002), a joint record shared with Manchester United, and were the first side in English football to complete the FA Cup and League Cup double in 1993.

yep 2-3 trophies.

now lets compare that to Milan, Barca, Real, Byern and Ajax and United, the teams with the biggest trophy tally and fan base.

see the differance?

yep 2-3 trophies.

Well said.

Not to mention the fact we're one of two teams to have never been relegated from the top league (thanks hitler you crazy bastard). Oh and the little thing we like to call The 49ers, Les Invicibles.. I wonder what thats all about?... :indeed:

Check the English league history for the 1930's, Arsenal where such a poor team back then :(

League titles: 1930-31, 1932-33, 1933-34, 1934-35, 1937-38,

FA Cups: 1929-30, 1935-36,

Comunity Shields: 1930, 1931, 1933, 1934, 1938

To be honest, it's been a long time since I've seen an Arsenal game and been impressed by them. I dunno what it is about them, really. They've got talented players, a good manager, and their tactics are sound, so I don't really know why I can't stand the site of them.

Must be because I'm a Man United fan, haha.

Nah, seriously, I don't know what it is. Lately, they just seem to be lacking desire. I've been thinking that all season. I just watch them and think "hmm, they really should be pushing for 1st place, but it seems like they're stuck in the wrong gear."

Nah, seriously, I don't know what it is. Lately, they just seem to be lacking desire. I've been thinking that all season. I just watch them and think "hmm, they really should be pushing for 1st place, but it seems like they're stuck in the wrong gear."

I agree. Some of the players look as if they are happy finishing fourth, they don't seem to want anything. In saying that the team have come back from behind many times this season. So its either lack of desire or they show desire too late in a game.

In my mind, I think they have given up on this season and I think it's been that way for quite a long time. Maybe even around December-ish. Hmm, that's just how I feel.

It's a bit annoying, really. The title race is really, really interesting this year, but it had the potential to be so much greater, too. Arsenal and Liverpool should be challenging up there, as well.

In my mind, I think they have given up on this season and I think it's been that way for quite a long time. Maybe even around December-ish. Hmm, that's just how I feel.

It's a bit annoying, really. The title race is really, really interesting this year, but it had the potential to be so much greater, too. Arsenal and Liverpool should be challenging up there, as well.

Problem is that they both had piss poor starts to the season. Had they started a bit brighter they could be challenging.

Also, its funny how all relegation contention sides always get better results in their last lot of premiership games. They only really start to put in their all until the end. If they started the season thinking about a bigger picture and trying to get results as if they were extremely important, they wouldnt be there in the first place. It seems the clubs only assess their position late on.

It appears I'm the only person in britian who hopes a british club brings the trophy home, everyone else just seems to be concerned with seeing our nation look crap again.

What are you on about? The only people who don't want to see a British club win the European Cup are the club's local rivals. Everyone knows that a team who takes the trophy home can say their league is the best league in Europe.

Also, I'm against having only Champions in the European Cup, it gives lesser clubs the chance to play against massive clubs like Barcelona and cause an upset and beat them. Maybe you don't need to be the League Champion to be the European Champion. Take the famous 2005 final, for instance, AC Milan won the Scudetto the season before, Liverpool didn't win the Premiership, yet, it wasn't Milan who won that final.

What are you on about? The only people who don't want to see a British club win the European Cup are the club's local rivals. Everyone knows that a team who takes the trophy home can say their league is the best league in Europe.

No, if Liverpool can't win it I don't want to see any English team win it. I always support the opposition when the Mancs, Chavs and Arse are playing in Europe :)

I totally agree with that. I love seeing Arsenal loose, but when it's Europe you just want all premiership teams to be winning their matches against the other teams in Europe to show our league is indeed superior. Tbh though, it really is already above all the rest.

No, if Liverpool can't win it I don't want to see any English team win it. I always support the opposition when the Mancs, Chavs and Arse are playing in Europe :)

That's probably because Liverpool are in the tournament and can actually go on to win it. People who don't support those four clubs, like myself, generally want to see an English club victorious.

Even though I don't support Man U, Arsenal or Liverpool, when they were in the Champions League Final I was cheering them on, wanting to see their respected captains lift that trophy, then picture another footballer wearing an Aston Villa shirt do the exact same thing. Despite the euphoria of them winning it makes me wish I was a fan of that club for the next 36 hours. Then after that I go back to seeing Villa finish another season without a trophy like I have done for the past 10 seasons (including this one).

I totally agree with that. I love seeing Arsenal loose, but when it's Europe you just want all premiership teams to be winning their matches against the other teams in Europe to show our league is indeed superior. Tbh though, it really is already above all the rest.

Quoted for truth.

That's probably because Liverpool are in the tournament and can actually go on to win it. People who don't support those four clubs, like myself, generally want to see an English club victorious.

Even though I don't support Man U, Arsenal or Liverpool, when they were in the Champions League Final I was cheering them on, wanting to see their respected captains lift that trophy, then picture another footballer wearing an Aston Villa shirt do the exact same thing. Despite the euphoria of them winning it makes me wish I was a fan of that club for the next 36 hours. Then after that I go back to seeing Villa finish another season without a trophy like I have done for the past 10 seasons (including this one).

Fair point. I guess it's because the teams playing in the Champions League are considered to be Liverpool's 'rivals'. If Liverpool aren't in contention I generally support Barcelona. I don't know why, I guess you just have to admire the quality of football they play and the players they have (although that obviously wasn't good enough to get past us this year!).

the Premiership is not the best league in Europe in my opinion

I would say from the various matches I've seen from all the leagues it goes something like

Spain, Italy, England in that order as the top 3

but that's my opinion and you can call me a bitter Scot if you like :)

Newcastle won 4-2 with an impressive first half display.

And now it's over to spurs!!

Champions League:

Quarter-final draw

AC Milan v Bayern Munich

PSV Eindhoven v LIVERPOOL

Roma v MANCHESTER UNITED

CHELSEA v Valencia

(First legs to be played on 3/4 April and second legs on 10/11 April)

Semi-final draw

CHELSEA or Valencia v PSV Eindhoven or LIVERPOOL

Roma or MANCHESTER UNITED v AC Milan or Bayern Munich

(First legs to be played on 24/25 April and second legs on 1/2 May)

Well there's defintely going to be at least one english team in the final, i'm sure of it.