NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
EEVILMURRAY

Installing a new hard drive

Righto, I got me new Hard Drive, and slammed in my XP disc. It partitions the disc. then installs XP. It restarts to "continue the setup" but comes back full circle to asking me to install XP once more, what de sheet is going on?!

Someone said:

1. Change boot order to boot from cd drive first

2. Insert windows xp cd and restart computer

3. Should get a prompt saying press any key to boot from cd or something like that, press a key and it should say setup is inspecting hardware.

4. Should come to the setup screen, select install a fresh copy of xp, partition the drive however you want it then press enter on the drive you want to install xp on.

5. Should ask you how you want to format the drive select which you want to do

6. The it should format the drive copy over some files then restart

7. When it says press a key to enter set up dont press anything and it will continue into the windows install.

8. Follow all the instructions and you should be done.

I can get to stage 6, after it "formats the partition", restarts then comes back to the XP set up where I can:

a] Set up XP

b] Repair console

c] quit without setting up XP [which normally restarts the PC]

a] takes me to the partition screen where you have to select the partition to install XP on. I could just keep on setting up XP on this partition forever...

Boot order has been changed so hard drive comes before Cd drive... no effect. Disabling all boot order minus hard drive still makes it boot from CD first. I am right in thinking that pressing del in startup brings the setup menu where you change boot order in the BIOS settings yes?

Removing the CD, gives this after the boot from CD text:

Nvidia boot agent 201.0462

copyright [c] 2001-2004 nvidia corporation

copyright [c] 1997-2000 intel corporation

FXE-e61 media test failure, check cable

FXE-m0f exiting nvidia boot agent.

Can anyone help?

After you've got to the 6th part for the first time. DON'T press any key to boot from a cd. If you have the xp disc in the drive and you press a key the install just starts all over again.

What the? That shouldn't happen. Everytime I install xp you have to press a key to get into the setup. Have you checked your bios that all the drives are properly detected?

If you can, find the mobos manual and see where you can set the hard disk size & type etc. Set it on auto on every one of them. And don't worry I can't find it either at the first time when I go to BIOS. Even though I do that generally once a month at least :rolleyes:

MotherBoard's Manual.

I would say there's something wrong with the IDE cables.

I just replaced it with a Western Digital one and having the same problem. Just so I'm clear on this, one red cable and one kinda multi-coloured cable right? I'm not missing anything out, yay/nay?

At present I've gone back to my old hard drive at present, mainly so I can play Hitman Blood Money as XP actually installs on this HD.

I just replaced it with a Western Digital one and having the same problem. Just so I'm clear on this, one red cable and one kinda multi-coloured cable right? I'm not missing anything out, yay/nay?

At present I've gone back to my old hard drive at present, mainly so I can play Hitman Blood Money as XP actually installs on this HD.

You should have two cables, a molex for power and either and IDE or Sata for the data transfer. Do you have an IDE or Sata Drive, the sata cable is a really thin one and IDE is a ribbon style cable.

You should have two cables, a molex for power and either and IDE or Sata for the data transfer. Do you have an IDE or Sata Drive, the sata cable is a really thin one and IDE is a ribbon style cable.

Seems like he has a sata cable (red one). And the multi coloured is the power. But don't some sata drives use a special kind of power cable? I think it was a bit smaller than the molex.

And check the bios that you have the correct sata settings. And if I remember correctly to install XP on a sata drive you have to install a special driver for the drive during installation from a floppy. The floppy should have come with the motherboard.

Yeah I think they're the ones I have. I think the problem is that my hard drive is a SATA-300, and my Motherboard is used to to SATA-150. I've been trying to find a way to set it, but all I could find was using a jumper to manually set it, on pins 5-6. I know the pins in question, but lack a jumper. Is there somewhere to get one, or ... use something around the house ¬_¬

All sata drives I know are backwards compatible. So it shouldn't be a problem. And if want to try if the jumper thing works. You just have to find a way to "short" the two pins. Didn't the hard drive have any jumpers as you bought it? You could try getting one from other drives to see if it solves the problem. But that might also make the drive that you got the jumper off not working properly.

Indeed, but I have read that you have to manually set it in some cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA

To ensure seamless backward compatibility between older SATA and the newer faster SATA/3Gbs devices, the latter devices are required to support the original 1.5Gb/s rate. In practice, some older SATA systems that do not support SATA speed negotiation require the peripheral drive's speed be manually hardlimited to 150 MB/s with the use of a jumper for a 300 MB/s drive.

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/IDE.htm

Note that SATA II 300 drives can be connected to a SATA 150 connector on a motherboard, and vice versa, but a SATA II 300 drive connected to a SATA 150 socket will run at the rate of a SATA 150 drive. However, note that some SATA II 300 drives, such as those made by Samsung, have to be set manually to SATA 150 mode by using a small jumper on the back of the drive before they can be connected to a SATA 150 socket on a motherboard.

Some motherboards also require sata ports to be activated, as some are deactived by default. Check the manufacturers site for jumper settings, they are normally universal across every range.

Use the jumper that is used to reset the bios on your MOBO. I think the motherboard does not need it and is only used for the reseting of the BIOS. Not sure though.

Some motherboards also require sata ports to be activated, as some are deactived by default. Check the manufacturers site for jumper settings, they are normally universal across every range.

Do you mean the HDD manufacturer or the motherboard.

I tried downloading the Sata Raid Driver Preinstall for the floppy thing, but nothing happened.

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=1709&ProductName=GA-K8VT800

He means the motherboard, I don't have any experience with SATA drives, but it sounds like you are on the right track with the jumper settings. Also someone said about installing the drivers first (before windows), I noticed that when you run the windows boot disk it gives you the option of install a 3rd party sata driver, you just have to press a key to do it.

Installing sata drivers after windows can bea right pain in the arse, sometimes you have to tinker in disk management

Sign in to follow this