Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

3D Modelling Thread

Colin

Ooooh, really?

I did not know that.

I might have a peak at some software without resorting to the old pirates game.

I've never used Maya at all, it has a mystical name that scares me.

Mayas apprently nicer to animate in rather than max, it doesn't do stupid things like a biped can.

I don't know an awful lot about either, I just know how to texture and such in maya and whatever, I did do my rocket with some help from the tutor, but they either leave us to figure it out, or give us a tutorial. I'd rather than explain it and then I go off and make something.

(My biped seems to be sort of co-operating, making it walk without footsteps is just freaking annoying! Apprently were not allowed to use them :sad:)

EDIT: Of course they do tissuetown, I've talked to enough companies by now to know that, but if I were just going off getting into a job I'd screw uni and focus on my maya work, but I have to do both.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure games companies care a little, teeny, tiny bit about grades.

It shows commitment.

And...

Stuff.

Sort of, its mostly for the showreel, portfolio type work. It still annoys me that my uni course is so far behind which is bad considering its a relatively new course, you think they'd have more of a change to have kept it up-to-date. But my tutors are clueless.

I'm sure games companies care a little, teeny, tiny bit about grades.

It shows commitment.

And...

Stuff.

They don't. I got top marks for all my 3D related models at uni. Looking back at it, and it sucks.

In the end it's your choice. Out of curiosity what Uni you go to?

Also what exactly do you want to do? Animator I assume right?

You talkin' to me?

Er, if you are.

I go to Huddersfield doing Games Design.

I'm after anything really.

Quite open.

I got straight As barring a culture module last year.

But 3D is my preferred thang'.

Wow, if you weren't asking me then I really sound like a dick now.

In Max if you make regular saves by going to "Save As" and pressing the plus button next to save; it'll make a new save. The file name will be based on the current name and add a digit on the end - it should help if you're working on something unforgiving like bipeds.

Did your lecturers not give you any tutorials to follow?

You talkin' to me?

Er, if you are.

I go to Huddersfield doing Games Design.

I'm after anything really.

Quite open.

I got straight As barring a culture module last year.

But 3D is my preferred thang'.

Wow, if you weren't asking me then I really sound like a dick now.

Well I was asking Nightwolf actually, but it helps that you answered anyway. My advice is to pick a field. Env Artist, Character artist, etc and concentrate on it. Generalists seldom exist in games. In fact Generalists only exist in advertising.

E-mail your lecturer back saying that it's pointless, lol.

This tutorial might help, I've not actually checked it out because my internet is being pooy.

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials_3/walk_cycle/walk_cycle_01.php

I'll tell him tomorrow seeming as I've got him for class.

Bloody useless man that he is. Luckily fiddling round with the editor saved my work from being completely screwed. I'm back to just a spinning person but at least I don't have to start again.

3ds max is such a pain. :grin:

I'll tell him tomorrow seeming as I've got him for class.

Bloody useless man that he is. Luckily fiddling round with the editor saved my work from being completely screwed. I'm back to just a spinning person but at least I don't have to start again.

3ds max is such a pain. :grin:

Does your tutor know much about 3D? Or does he merely know how to use the software?

I'll tell him

That won't do.

Beat him up.

Well I was asking Nightwolf actually, but it helps that you answered anyway. My advice is to pick a field. Env Artist, Character artist, etc and concentrate on it. Generalists seldom exist in games. In fact Generalists only exist in advertising.

That is kind of what I'm trying to do.

But, at the same time show other skills in case I look for work at a smaller company.

Basically, during my placement year and final year I hope to aim my skills more towards environment art.

Thats IF you get a placement, my class and the other games one are finding it really difficult to get anybody to take us on for placement and the people who are supposed to be able to help us mentioned that they have a 'few' contacts which means like two.

It kinda angered us because we've been left in the lurch, no wonder they changed our course from 4 years to 3!

Anyway back to modelling!

That won't do.

Beat him up.

That is kind of what I'm trying to do.

But, at the same time show other skills in case I look for work at a smaller company.

Basically, during my placement year and final year I hope to aim my skills more towards environment art.

Cool. Well just a question. Have you or will you be studying the following:

-Generating Normal Maps, Spec Maps, reflection maps and other maps, and not just knowing how to, but being able to generate good ones?

-LODs?

-Zbrush (this is one of the most important program and one of the most used programs in games. If you don't know it, well get started ASAP!!!)

-Edgeflow, vertex and face normals.

-Have you ever used or heard of crazy bump?

??

Also, good luck getting a work placement. You think you are the only ones? There are hundreds of Unis, each having about 50 students doing games courses, all wanting to probably do a work placement at a games company. It ain't happening. Very few companies do now.

Edited by tissuetown

Yes to all those questions.

Already started the whole maps thang a while ago.

Obviously with each assignment we're getting better at it.

In around a month we're going through LoDs in more depth, hopefully to be implemented in our group game.

zBrush, although I've touched on it in my own time for a little bit, we're going through it properly later this month. Hopefully I will have a couple of assignments that make use of it more, plus two personal projects, that can be slapped into my portfolio.

And yes to the floooows.

And yeah I have CrazyBump on here now, baby.

Got to love that program.

As for placement, yeah I am kind of shitting myself about it.

It's going to be meeega hard.

Although Huddersfield Uni have their own commercial studio (developed some XBLA game, and a bunch of smaller projects in the past; currently doing some work I can't talk about) and I'm starting work for them as of tomorrow (shit scared about it). So hopefully I can make a good impression and have that down as a firm placement opportunity.

Nightwolf you might wanna check out the Blitz open day.

Let me find the link.

*wonders off*

http://www.blitzgamesstudios.com/careers/opendays/register/

Taaaa, daaaa.

Put down "Wesley the Weasel" for where you heard of it.

So where did you go?

Did you fall into that trap, too?

I went to Westminster University. Shitty course, full of shitty modules, and all I did was get pampered for the "good work" I did. Most of the teachers didn't know anything. And I was naive enough to think I was getting a job soon after Uni. Hah.

Agh.

Feel for you.

I have a friend on this course who had the same experience at Essex.

His modules consisted of a bunch of ones from other subjects, including database management and math.

This was... a, design course, but... yeaaaah.

His friends who stuck it out until the final year touched on 3D in the final year and now most of them are database admins. Heh...

Lincoln (my home town) had a gaming course; their "show-piece" for it was someone rigging and animating a pre-existing model to crouch, walk and run...

Yeeeeeah....

Agh.

Feel for you.

I have a friend on this course who had the same experience at Essex.

His modules consisted of a bunch of ones from other subjects, including database management and math.

This was... a, design course, but... yeaaaah.

His friends who stuck it out until the final year touched on 3D in the final year and now most of them are database admins. Heh...

Lincoln (my home town) had a gaming course; their "show-piece" for it was someone rigging and animating a pre-existing model to crouch, walk and run...

Yeeeeeah....

My final project at Escape is to do an entire courtyard (that exists, so loads of reference needed), and it must include foliage, wood, bricks, water, etc and an interior. I cannot wait to do this actually. I am coming close to the end of my current project that has lasted almost 4 weeks now. Will be finished this thursday.

Here's how it stands thus far..

dglyxw.png

Ignore lack of lighting and decent shader set up.

That's really nice, man!

Do you have a poly/texture size limit?

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Plus seeing the courtyard.

I've got a similar assignment for one of my 3D modules - recreate a scene from a book. I picked out the opening scene in Keeping the Aspidistra Flying.

Most of my 3D is just creating scenes/props/assets.

However I do have a separate character animation module.

I'll get round to posting some stuuuuff.

I might put up some of my stuff from my first year, although I hate it because I can do much better now.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!