NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Patch

TV brokey wokey

Thinking of getting an LCD TV. 27inch or thereabouts. No more than £700. Can anyone recommend one? Or tell me which ones to avoid?

Thanks.

My mate got one for £500 especially for his xbox 360, I understand it is High Definition.

Basically LG are one of the best 'generic' brands.. they're not that well known but screens are their forte. Check them out for sure.. you can get an extremely high quality monitor from them for cheap as chips.

I think our LG monitor doesn't even have LG written on the front, just on the back which is why I refer to them as generic. They are still a quality company.

THey stand for Lifes Good

And yes, i do like a company who dont plaster their name in every opportunity.

Also check out the new range of Toshiba LCDs - can't remember the name for them, but they've had good reviews from magazines and users alike.

A friend has a 26" LG for her gaming needs and to be fair it was stocked with connections (HDMI *and* DVI, component, couples of RGB SCARTs etc) and the black levels are pretty good. I think she paid £799 a few months back from Comet.

From what i ehard, LG orginially stood for Lucky Goldstar, or Goldamn (one of the 2)

Then one of them split off from the other and they changed the name

(This is taken from the gadget show, don't blame me if it's wrong)

Techies will just be like recommending shit for gaming and all day use at a desk.

I think people in the general forum will have a better understanding of what a solid TV is.

If you have a budget of £700, you can pretty much take your pic of 26" HD sets, you can go for samsung, Toshiba. There all pretty similar and have a good selection of inputs, I would recommend the LG 26LX2R, it's the only one to have a DVI port as well as HDMI, can be had for just over £600 if you shop around.

lg is huge. the panel / tv company is actually a joint venture between philips and lg (lucky & goldstar being separate companies in the 80s).

lg philips displays were world number 1 for crt tubes, with 25% of the worlds tvs using their glass units. sharp and panasonic tvs often had philips tubes.

lg philips displays makes all their crt stuff

while lg philips lcd ltd makes the flat panels (and is separately listed/traded)

you get the feeling working for "lg philips displays" is therefore not good for long term employment

as for the new "panels" companies like sony never made plazmas, instead bought from 5 different makers (there are only several actual panel makers in the world, they just end up in hundreds of brands and assemblers hands) which included lg-philips, although pioneer was a lead supplier. sony have dropped plasma domestically and reduced it worldwide, favouring lcd, which they make with partner SAMSUNG!

lg-philips has remained with the plasma technology as well as pushed forward with lcd (where sharp is the biggest player),

hitachi and toshiba have shuffled their interests recently, while only MEI has stuck solidly with plasma technology announcing earlier this year a huge investment plan for their plasma plants.

last year sharp managed to break the 65" lcd barrier that had been a serious technological headache.

however while the panels used between various brands can be the same panel, what is often different is the software running it. and that can be the difference between a £800 tv and a £2000 one. it can also make a very big difference. think of a chipped car, same engine, different software.

the other thing to watch out for is the type of digital connector used. sky is likely to create the most popular type with its hdsky+ box, but it is not the sort fitted to all tvs sold as "hd ready" at the moment

Sign in to follow this