NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Atomic Boo

CD roms...

Does this mean the virtual console will support CD images (space usage!?) or will the actual disks run while in the console?

I don't know enough about the medium to comment on this.. I didn't have a turbo grafx system.

But it sounds kinda futile to me, who is still gonna have disks from the 80s? I think starting fresh with a commercial and ultimately reliable download service is much better.

I'm more worried about the control scheme and backup security for all these downloaded games tbh.

CD-ROMs shouldn't be a problem if it's going to play DVDs as well. Propietary formats probably only require a tweak here and there in the disc reading system.

sorry - but I read this as the virtual console will be capable of running the data stored on the discs - literally the sequence of bits. not that it will be capable of reading and accepting the data from the discs.

and it it can, it also has a scart slot for nes, snes, n64 and sega genesis games, as well as the NEC-hudson cartridge format it supports.

ie, you won't be able to pop in your old 80's cd's.

my guess is that any rev games small enough to fit on a cd would go on a GC sized disc.

I think the site that's reported this story above has misunderstood what they are saying.

Looks like it'll mean cd based Turbo Grafx games can actually be compressed to a size that's feasible for online download and for storage using the revs flash memory.

I hope Nintendo upgrade the standard flash memory size from 512 to 1Gb, as more will definitely be needed.

Well, being a 2D console, the TurboGrafx games weren't that big, so it should be easy to compress them enough - probably even to the size of SNES games.

Well, being a 2D console, the TurboGrafx games weren't that big, so it should be easy to compress them enough - probably even to the size of SNES games.

The reason for the CD based games was more because of audio soundtracks (possibly streaming video aswell, not sure on that one though).

Compression techniques now can easily reduce the size of the soundtracks, and Sony will probably end up taking a similar route with their PS1 game downloads for the PSP.

I hope Nintendo upgrade the standard flash memory size from 512 to 1Gb, as more will definitely be needed.
Dude, totally.. I'm gonna spend more money enjoying the classics than I will new games.

I'd make getting solid control schemes out there for all this classic hardware a priority for Nintendo development labs.

And ensuring once we've bought this stuff we can back it up on either CD (burning) or maybe USB pen drives.. or worst case scenario SD cards with DRM to go on a Mac or PC..

It would be nice if it could read the actual CD's its certainly possible but of course offering actual downloads of the CD based games would be cool as well.

Hopefully Nintendo will release an add on hard drive for Rev that could go in one of the slots on the bottom of the console.

The slot on the bottom of the console is for the DVD dongle.. why do we need a hard drive? they're expensive.. if you can simply use a classic USB pen drive or SD card to compliment the 512mb on board. They seem to be more abundant these days than floppy disks so that we can back up software on our PC or burn to disc than what is the problem?

The Revolution wont have or need a hard drive if all goes to plan.

CD's... What's that I smell *sniff* *sniff* Yes.. it's piracy.

You just know self boot CD-R games are going to be made eventually, heck a whole Revo ISO could probably be compressed just as PSP ones are.

Yes, Yes.

As some3one has said before me, everyone is misinterpreting this as 'the revolution will allow me to play cd-roms with games on them'

The report does not say it will 'support cd-roms' from the PC Engine, but that it will support both Hu Card and Cd games; ie; You will be able to download games that were released on both formats.

Does this could mean that we may play segacd, saturn or dreamcast?? oh that would be huge....

Saturn and mega Cd is certainly possible, dreamcast could prove difficult to emulate.

but not with the coorporation of sega...

some homecoders did the fantastic epsxe emulator...so nin and sega should easily do it...

The Revolution doesn't have the power to emulate the Dreamcast.

The Dreamcast was only so much weaker than the GameCube and the Revolution is supposedly only two times faster than the Cube so I doubt they'll get a decent emulator for it.

And then there's the special format (the GD-ROM) Dreamcast games were released on - that's an entirely different medium.

I'm still critical of whether that statement about the Revolution is true.. I think the final revision will be capable of a lot more on launch because it is a more friendly developper environment.

That's besides the point..DCK is correct, you wont see Dreamcast games because the power issue, if you've seen the videos of people trying to emulate power PC version of photoshop or office on an intel mac you'd be shocked (considering that it is brand new hardware and software) but it takes freaking ages because it is emulating.

It's a processor intensive task and I'm very confident that the Dreamcast will never be present on the Revolution.. Saturn games? I'm not so sure.. the console was a failure in everyone's eyes.. it might have had a few gems but it's not a Mega drive is it?

I don't think we'll see the Saturn on the back catalogue.

As for other systems.. I think it's feasible that we'll see other systems announced at E3 after the legal teams have negotiated stuff.. we see new record companies and TV shows being added to iTunes every day.. why not this 'video game version of iTunes'?

Providing the hardware is flexible enough I'm sure there will be lots of other systems.

If sega were on board for dreamcast on revolution I am guessing it would require either a recompile or some kind of on the fly interpritation (not emulation that is different). The first is what sega has been doing for years, then they stick it ona new disk and sell it as new. The Second would have to be hard coded into the revo firmware (maybe even hard wired into the actual box) to allow the code to be read and interperated to be read as revo compatable code. The GD-ROM is just a high capacity CD, nothing special about it aside from compression, firmware could be told how to read it easily enough.

Well, that's missing the entire point of the Virtual Console. From a company point of view you can dump your old junk on the net and get 'free money' for it. If they were to edit and recompile it for PowerPC hardware or make a transition to an interpretable language like Java it would cost the company more than they want.

The sheer size of Dreamcast games makes it an impossible task to distribute - Dreamcast games often filled the 1.2 GB discs they had (Shenmue even spread across four of them) and there's no way Nintendo or Sega can expect us to have the space or time to download such games.

Suppose you have to buy a firmware upgrade which will allow you to play all your old Dreamcast game?

Btw I know it's not really feasible just throwing out the idea of possibility ;)

DCK is correct, you wont see Dreamcast games because the power issue....

Actually he is quite wrong. Warner's Gametap service emulates Dreamcast pretty well and it only requires 1.3 ghz Pentium and good 3D-card. Chankast Dreamcast Emulator runs games 60 FPS per second with 1.8 ghz Pentium if you have proper 3D-card. Both of these emulators aren't even to made platform where you could optimize your code to fullest extent. If Revo is at least 1.8 GHZ G5 (as it is assumed to be), it should run most Dreamcast games pretty well.

More serious problem would be distributing games. Most Dreamcast games are between 500 - 1000 mb, and though Xbox Live has proven that users are willing to download gigabyte big demos, it isn't really that feasible from commercial standpoint.

The Revolution supposedly runs a 1 GHz G3 processor and only has around 100 megs of memory. A Dreamcast emulator probably wouldn't give decent performance.

But they'll never try because of the distribution issue.

This might sound crazy but nntendo could come up with a "port team." That can put more higher end games onto a more revolution friendly format.

The Revolution supposedly runs a 1 GHz G3 processor and only has around 100 megs of memory. A Dreamcast emulator probably wouldn't give decent performance.

But they'll never try because of the distribution issue.

Non one knows the rev specs yet anyway, and if the cube can handle dreamcast game easy enough (when ported), and the rev is going to be a lot more poweful then the cube, surly the rev could with with no problems, the only problems that I can see occuring is the file size, and download times.

Sign in to follow this