Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Making the Band Website

Ashley

So I'm trying to make my friends' band a website out of the goodness of my heart. Im no good with this kind of stuff but I wanted to know what kind of space & bandwidth I would need for a site with a coppermine gallery (fairly extensive), sample songs (probably less than 10), maybe a video or two.

So yeah, space and bandwidth amount that would be good? Also, any suggested sites for such a space.

(Sidebar, lookie: http://diemetrix.net/ashley/fl2/index.php although its mostly placeholder, the gallery is down and the contact page is wonky for now)

And yes, it should be in tech cause its not a "rate my site" thing ;)

Thanks peoples.

These days bandwidth is nothing to worry about. low cost plans can offer 1tb which is stupid much. Same with bandwidth, if you know where to look you can easily get 20GB which for the sake of music and pictures... well you probably won't even need 1GB at first.

PS. your page header is centred in firefox and thus, does not work.

These days bandwidth is nothing to worry about. low cost plans can offer 1tb which is stupid much. Same with bandwidth, if you know where to look you can easily get 20GB which for the sake of music and pictures... well you probably won't even need 1GB at first.

PS. your page header is centred in firefox and thus, does not work.

Which is bandwidth and which is space labelled as bandwidth?

Yeah was trying to fix the contact page, but just checked on IE and thats wonky too. Surprised nobody from the band mentioned it as I doubt they don't use IE. Been a longtime problem with that layout, seems IE and Opera have different opinions on where the centre is.

-edit-

Forgot how much I hated this error. Its fine on Opera now, but IE is one pixel out of whack. What about Firefox, anyone?

Also I think I've asked before but any ideas for a fix? Might have to change it so it works on IE as unfortunatly most people use that.

I think I'll align it so it fits IE 1024x768 as thats got to be fairly standard right? Besides, I don't think they'd be a massive uproar about a pixel.

I went with Streamline.net in the end. £38ish (didn't mention the no-VAT thing but im not paying for it I suppose) for 500MB space and apparently unlimited bandwidth (although they said if you do too much they refund you and you bugger off but doubt the site will top whatever limit they have). Now just waiting for all the stuff to be sorted out so I can set up databases and such.

Cheers for the advice though.

and apparently unlimited bandwidth (although they said if you do too much they refund you and you bugger off but doubt the site will top whatever limit they have).

Quick tip. There's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. They're just overselling, hoping you and their other customers don't use loads. They have a limit, it just looks nicer if they say they don't.

I second Shorty's suggestion - Dreamhost. They've been top notch for around a year and a half now. If it wasn't for me looking to build my own server and have it colocated in a datacentre, I'd be with them forever! :love:

Well as I said, I've already taken the plunge. I'm aware its not unlimited, they do say if you max it out they just chuck you off, but considering it will probably get less than 100 hits a month, I doubt we'll reach it.

Also, the unalignment think randomly fixed itself. Now is aligned on both IE and Opera.