NEurope
darkjak

Controller battery?

Personally, i don't think there is anything to worry about. We've had no problems with battery life regarding the Wavebird or the Nintendo DS. In fact, Nintendo did a damned good job with these two products in maintaining battery life.

Couldn't Nintendo have rechargable batteries (AA-sized) in the revo controller that can be recharged using kinetic energy (as well as conventional recharging methods)?

Some watches use this approach and it works great for them. I know the controller would require more energy than a watch but there is also more room to play with with the revo controller, allowing for possibly more energy to be created/stored.

I seems like the most logical solution to me, seeing as we will be swinging these babies around constantly. And there is always the option to put in regular AA batteries if you wish.

BTW, I hate batteries. :)

You know, that would be genius, but I think Seiko or Swatch owns the patent to that particular technology.. knowing that the gaming market is expanding and there's a profit to be made the owner of the patent may be unwilling to license it out for a reasonable fee within Nintendo's budget.

I'm not fully aware of the owner of it but I'm quite fond of the technology, my friend has one of the Swatch's and they're great.. wouldn't give it up for my Swatch skin though, 2mm thick :D

It would as you said fit perfectly in Revolution.. I also think it's amazing Compaq are looking into putting tiny generators in keys to power a wireless keyboard so you type it charges..

The perfect thing is.. the gyro will already be going into the controller for the rumble pack, it would require minimal engineering to reverse engineer the small gyro to unhook and charge a battery.

microsoft_inside.jpg those little gyros don't move when rumble pack is not turned on. These will be in the Revolution controller.. if they just unhooked it, the metal chunks would rotate and hey presto it's a charge.

Err, those are electric motors, not gyroscopes. Here's a more feasible solution, each controller is supplied with two battery packs which can be connected directly to a mains adaptor, there will also be an opening in the controller case which means you can plug into the battery pack housed in the controller. This means you can have a spare battery on charge, to be swapped in when needed, and you can charge the one in the controller when it's not in use.

Yeah...There would have to be some sort of secondary power to the movement, as that wouldn't give enough power for rumble and could run out on games in which you dont swing around a lot.

ive actually seen some technology, in a torch, where theres kind of like a metal tube of some sorts in side it, and theres something on the top and bottom of the torch(i know its not great but i cant remember exactly what they are) when you shook it up and down rapidly or slowly it would bounce off the two thuis creating some sort of electrical current. then you can turn it on.

This could be used in the controller, making it self powered as stated above, but i doubt it with the technology inside the controller might not be that secured to have it, or might it...?

I just don't think there's space for this self controlled shit. Japanese people have tiny hands on the hole.. Iwata is a small guy.

And that controller looked smaller than a good mobile phone in his hands..

I saw one of those torches too, it was a cheap plastic one and the charging thing took up the hole shaft of the torch.

Matt of IGN just said that the controllers are selfpowered...

Hmm, Kinetic energy probably. Matt seems to confirm everything we ever talk about, about a week after our topic first started...

I have a small developping country in my garage.. Just don't tell the tax man okay?

If IGN matt is whoring our threads (as I noted a few Revolution blogs have basically lifted 2 of my posts) maybe we should start making dummy posts :) Make fools of them.

I'm really liking the idea that the Revolution has laser beams with sharks. or mutated sea bass.