NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Balatro (PS, Xbox, Switch, Steam)

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

But, what if it works!?

Nope!

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Black Deck is very much a step above in difficulty. The lack of hands is utterly painful! Don't last long enough to take advantage of the extra Joker slot...

Yeah, that Deck is rough. Just beat Red Stake with it. Barely pulled through almost-mid-game with Gros Michel. I was able to pivot to a Two Pair build during Ante 3, though :peace:

With higher Stakes, Ante 1 becomes a little too RNG-dependent for my tastes. If you don't get an early mult-Joker, you're usually screwed. Now, starting a new run is quick and you don't lose anything, but sometimes I simply don't want to restart 5 times in a row because I get crapped on by shops with no Jokers :(

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

Yeah, that Deck is rough. Just beat Red Stake with it. Barely pulled through almost-mid-game with Gros Michel. I was able to pivot to a Two Pair build during Ante 3, though :peace:

Naturally, I complained on the internet, so I pulled it off shortly after. Checkered Deck is very much a worthwhile reward!

But that will have to wait, because that's the 10th deck and after a relatively straightforward time with Magic Deck, Nebula Deck is the next big barrier. I didn't think 1 less consumable item space would be so bad, but yeah... It's pretty bad.

Still easier then Black Deck, mind. I'll get through it eventually.

13 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Checkered Deck is very much a worthwhile reward!

Definitely one of the easiest decks to win with, I feel.

13 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I didn't think 1 less consumable item space would be so bad, but yeah... It's pretty bad.

Consumables can be run savers/winners. I still more often than not use these cards immediately when I get them instead of saving them for a round.
And yeah, one less slot is bad :p

6 more decks do win with at Red Stake before moving on to Green Stake. Slowly but surely making progress.

I hope that console versions will get the PC updates soon. I read that the dev delayed the patch(es) for a week to include some more fixes, but I need that 1 in 4 chance to get a barbaric YAWP NOPE! now :(

Finally! I completed my first run! (With Blue Deck).  About damn time! :D

Hopefully other decks go a bit smoother, because that was tough; some of the unlockable Jokers do look pretty rad though… ;)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I hope that console versions will get the PC updates soon. I read that the dev delayed the patch(es) for a week to include some more fixes

I imagine that their tiff with PEGI isn't helping matters. Not much incentive, patching a console version if the biggest platform for it doesn't have it available for download.

Glad I snapped it up when I did.

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Finally! I completed my first run! (With Blue Deck).  About damn time! :D

Hopefully other decks go a bit smoother, because that was tough; some of the unlockable Jokers do look pretty rad though… ;)

… seems it did, because I took down Red Deck with my next attempt afterwards! Steel Card abuse + Lusty Joker + Polychrome Joker + Hearts Flush Deck is very good :D

Posted (edited)

04DZvxq.jpeg

OMGWTFBBQ!!!

With an All Spade Flush Deck going at the moment!? YES PLEASE!! :D

(BTW, that Polychrome 1.5x multiplier activates seperately from the innate 3x multiplier after it has already activated, so you get a x3 and then an additional 1.5x after that!).

I love this game :heart:

Edit: THIS IS THE RUN!!

I finally beat The Wall for the first time! (And even with a Hand and two Discards to spare!!) Thank you Polychrome Card Sharp :D

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

The satisfaction when it's all coming together. If life can't give you that, Balatro is here to save you :p

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Just beat Green Deck's White Stake with an All Hearts Flush Deck, along with combination of Hologram (upgraded to 4.75x mult, doubled with a Blueprint), a Lusty Joker and a couple of Polychrome cards... yeah, this run went well!  Let's see how much further we can go...

Edit: Excuse me.  Ante 12's "small" blind requires HOW MANY POINTS!?!?

I... I think I've found the human limit.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Excuse me.  Ante 12's "small" blind requires HOW MANY POINTS!?!?

Yeah, the point requirements get ridiculously high very fast :D

Have yet to reach Ante 13, but I'm also not actively trying to go for an endless-viable build. Slowly but surely making my way through the Stakes is enough for now :p Doesn't mean I won't try to go for some super scores if the chance presents itself early. Hasn't happened, yet, though :( Still need that 100,000,000 points hand.

Anyways, just won a Red Stake run with Painted Deck. Diamond Flush build, gg ez.

Four more Decks for Red Stake and then it's time for Green Stake, which increases difficulty pretty drastically.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

When you use Credit Card to accumulate $20 of debt and then go against The Ox.

"Playing your most played hand will set your money to $0"

giphy.gif

Alternatively: Use the Spectral Card "The Wrath" :D

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2024 at 9:55 AM, drahkon said:

Four more Decks for Red Stake and then it's time for Green Stake

Mission accomplished!
Getting closer to 48h of playtime :o

So far, I've resisted the temptation to get this for my Steam Deck...

• Thanks 1

Deserved :peace:

Now can you please patch the PS version? :p

• Like 1

Sorta breezed through Red Stake with Red Deck. Got that 11th deck now, and it's very good. Quickly got a win on that one.

I see what @drahkon means by needing a decent multiplier for the early game when the ante rises faster. It is rough going!

• Like 1

Run died on the Boss Blind of Ante 8 with Black Deck.

Profound Sadness…

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I see what @drahkon means by needing a decent multiplier for the early game when the ante rises faster. It is rough going!

Yup. I often restart if the first shop I have access to sucks, because I know the run will end anyway.
This is the only problem I have with the game: The early game on higher Stakes. I don't know how to balance it, though.
Maybe always have one joker on sale in shops? But then again, some jokers suck for early game, too. ::shrug:

11 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Run died on the Boss Blind of Ante 8 with Black Deck.

Profound Sadness…

Black Deck is a nightmare :D I'm getting close to a Green Stake run with it...only one more Deck to win with at Green Stake.

Wheel of Fortune worked! On Gros Michel... Which then deleted itself the next round...

I hate this game!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

On Gros Michel... Which then deleted itself the next round...

Hey, it's not all bad. This means you got a chance to find a great Joker during that run!

Posted (edited)

It's back up on the EU eShop now... with a PEGI 18 rating owing to "Prominant Gambling Imagery"...

That's fucking outrageous.  Playstack should sue for libel.

Edited by Dcubed

11 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It's back up on the EU eShop now... with a PEGI 18 rating owing to "Prominant Gambling Imagery"...

That's fucking outrageous.  Playstack should sue for libel.

I'll accept this if Pocket Card Jockey also gets the same rating.

Switch update is out now! Should be the same as the current PC version now!

Can't find anything on the PS version, though. So can't say for sure if it's there. Might wanna check that, @drahkon.

Posted (edited)

BTW, saw this earlier, but it looks like Balatro does have an official “Kill Screen” of sorts…

No idea if it’s actually achievable without hacking, but Ante 39 is as high as the game goes…

… also I just learnt that “NAN” is actually official notation in computery mathematics (it’s an initialism for “Not A Number” that basically refers to any invalid figure that can’t be calculated).

Who would’ve thought that Balatro could turn you into a maths nerd!?

Edited by Dcubed

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Can't find anything on the PS version, though.

No update :(

Won't stop me, though. Gotta get my Balatro runs in today :D

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

No update :(

Won't stop me, though. Gotta get my Balatro runs in today :D

That's very suckage.

I'm sure it will happen shortly. Like most indies, the Switch version probably just has a higher install base, so they probably just prioritised it once the PC version was up.

Black Deck Green Stake done!
I hate that deck :p

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this