Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Tomb Raider I - III Remastered Starring Lara Croft (14th February 2024)

Julius

Finished Tomb Raider 1 today.

GSeA7NTW0AAz4fE?format=jpg&name=large

GSeA7NMWEAAcD4q?format=jpg&name=medium

Still got a long way to go to get the platinum though. It will probably take another couple of playthroughs. I need to finish the game on New Game+/Hard Mode and also beat the game in under 5 hours. As you can see from my stats, I'm gonna have to half my time in order to achieve this. There's also all the DLC missions to tackle.

In my first playthrough I did manage to knock out a couple of harder trophies.

GSeA7NSWUAAUAj1?format=jpg&name=medium

I was robbed of another difficult trophy. It requires you to kill every enemy in the game. When the game launched, one enemy didn't spawn correctly on one of the levels and that meant there were only 294 enemies to kill. Aspyr patched the game so the enemy would spawn but fail to sort out a fix if you had passed that level already, which myself and many others had. Classic Aspyr.

I loved my time playing this. My thoughts haven't really changed from when I was playing it in Feb and if anything I love the game even more. I've already started another playthrough. Again, they just don't make games like this anymore. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I loved my time playing this. My thoughts haven't really changed from when I was playing it in Feb and if anything I love the game even more. I've already started another playthrough. Again, they just don't make games like this anymore. 

Glad to hear it 😃

I have only played about half of the first game on PS1 a few years ago and there was definitely enough there to make me want to eventually finish it so I will absolutely be picking up the trilogy at some point.

The recent sale price of about £20 would probably have been enough if I felt I was going to be playing them any time soon but I've got a load of other games on my mind right now so it felt right to play the waiting game (just like with Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That I enjoyed it or that they don't make games like this anymore? 😛

That you enjoyed it 😅

I fully expect to be playing it with the original visuals and control scheme when I eventually pick it up but who knows!

• Like 1

Finished my speedrun playthrough this evening.

GSo12kFWoAAaEtP?format=jpg&name=medium

GSo12kBXMAEFgud?format=jpg&name=large

I had to watch a few speedrun videos in order to make the time needed for the trophy. With the game being the age that it is, there are an abundance of speedruns to go through. Having got the trophy for using a small amount of saves, this meant I could just go nuts with saving in case I cocked up my run.

I tried pairing this trophy with one for killing all the enemies but it just wasn't feasible, especially when I pretty much skipped all of the Atlantis level thanks to a speedrunning glitch. 😛 This means that another 2 playthroughs are needed. One on Hard Mode and one to mop everything else up. Hard Mode is going to be a toughie as it only allows you to save via the crystals, just like in the original game, but enemies also take more damage and there are no health packs kicking about the utilise. :(

Another week, another playthrough completed.

GS9jdVbXEAAJELB?format=jpg&name=large

GS9jdVVWIAA_QFU?format=jpg&name=medium

New Game+ was no joke and it certainly took a lot longer than what my final statistics are showing, thanks to all the deaths and reloads that occurred. Not having the safety net of being able to save anywhere really adds to the tension. I completed this back on the PS1 and so I'm no stranger to the crystal saving system but having the environment and enemies hit harder than usual, as well as the inability to use medipacks, meant I was having to replay sections a lot of times. Still, I enjoyed the challenge of it all.

Just one more playthrough left...

• Like 1

Success!

GTClM3XWIAESHwi?format=jpg&name=large

Final run through the game required me to kill every enemy, smash all of the breakable floors and die all 36 ways that the game allows.

This is another game where the trophies gave me a lot more game time (50 hours) than I would normally spend with something like this. I think I went through the game 4 times in order to achieve the platinum. Kinda reminded me of various Resident Evil games trophy lists. By the end of it all you know the game inside and out, just like what I now do with this game.

Platinum achieved but the DLC that comes with the collection is now to be tackled. I've never played this before and so I will be going in with fresh eyes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sat and played all of the DLC over the past couple of days.

GTg92fhWoAAP3nq?format=jpg&name=large

It was fine but nothing special. Two levels are from the Atlantis area of the main game and two are from the Egypt levels. None of them really flowed like the main game and instead just seemed like a mish mash of ideas just cobbled together to make some new stages.

After doing all of this, I've now spent close to 60 hours on the game. Methinks Tomb Raider 2 will not be getting played until next year. I definitely need a break.

It's funny, this year marks the 30th anniversary of the PlayStation. I've inadvertently done my own celebration by playing this, Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth, Metal Gear Solid (from the latest collection) and Tekken 8, all completed this year. All of these are games and franchises that made the PlayStation what it is today. I just need to play a Crash Bandicoot game and it will be perfect. :D