NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Star Ocean: The Second Story R (2nd November 2023)

Oh it looks wonderful!

The highly acclaimed second installment in the STAR OCEAN series returns as a full remake rebuilt with charming 2.5D graphics combining 3D environments and 2D pixel characters. Experience an epic tale where Fantasy and Science Fiction collides as you get to know party members via the unique Private Actions system, grow their relationships and unlocka variety of different endings. Play as either Claude or Rena and make decisions that will impact your destiny. Enjoy thrilling, visually explosive and fast-paced action battles paired with deep skills and crafting systems to customize your party.

Edited by Julius

Honestly shocked that they aren't just doing a port of the PSP remake.

Really? You're gonna remake it from scratch again? Sure! I'll take it!

I think they've gone too far with both ends of the graphical extremes here. Ultra-realistic environments alongside pixel characters which look very washed out and basic looks way too jarring. If they did the characters a bit more... I wanna say Octopath quality (?) it might be less off putting

Huh, a gameplay trailer suddenly appears! 

Demo available now, with save data able to be carried over to the full release:

Edited by Julius

18 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Did anyone ever end up playing this? Looks gorgeous.

Loved the three hour demo! Haven't picked up the full game as I haven't seen it around so I should probably just get it ordered.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 8:12 PM, darksnowman said:

Loved the three hour demo! Haven't picked up the full game as I haven't seen it around so I should probably just get it ordered.

What did you think of the combat? I tried the demo last night but found myself a bit put off by the combat. I'm hoping it's just that I need to get used to it because I do still love the look of the game.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

What did you think of the combat? I tried the demo last night but found myself a bit put off by the combat. I'm hoping it's just that I need to get used to it because I do still love the look of the game.

Even with the three hour time limit, I didn't shirk any encounters as I intentionally wanted to get a feel for them. They seemed to take care of themselves so I wasn't really able to get much of an idea of what to do (not that I want the demo or the game to have me under the kosh at all times). Especially when you get the second party member, you're in an out of battles before you've barely had the chance to participate. Thought it was cool it's action combat because I wasn't expecting that. 

• Like 1

1 - Graphics and soundtrack
2 - Fishing
3 - Counter attacking
4 - Use skill points well (tips: determination and bodyguard skills)
5 - Assault actions
6 - Try the demo

It's like they sensed there's some sales here waiting to happen.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this