N-Europe

Graphics card update woes

EEVILMURRAY

I'm having trouble trying to update the drivers for my graphics card.

I currently have a Radeon HD 7800 and for some of that No Man's Sky action I sought out the latest drivers for it. When I installed and restarted I was greeted with a black screen and nothing else. I tried starting it in Safe Mode to take the PC back before the update but nothing happened. However I could see that pressing num/caps lock keys made the little lights go on/off.

On a whim I thought I'd check the cables at the back and they were secure. But thought I'd try connecting the monitor to the motherboard (I think that's what it was) and it works, however I can't do anything graphically challenging (screensavers won't work) and it comes up with a prompt saying that there's a new update for the drivers again, which I install and naturally it asks for a restart. First times I said "restart now" which didn't actually restart it unless I selected it from the Start Menu and in Device Manager it keeps saying that it needs a restart for the updates to install properly, plus roll back wasn't available. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, this time selecting "restart later", so it knew I was going to manually do so, which I did. Same result. The update is still waiting for a restart which I keep giving it and it's not taking.

The monitor was first connected via VGA with a DVI adaptor, which is now pure VGA to the motherboard. I did try HDMI from the graphics card to monitor but still got no screen action.

Sounds like either the drivers didn't install properly or are the wrong ones.

Have you tried doing a system restore to before you updated the drivers?

AMD has a "AMD Driver Autodetect", did you try that to update your drivers with? http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

You could also try updating your BIOS, I had to set something in my BIOS for my system to use the graphics card instead of using the on-board graphics, maybe it's the same for you (not sure why that would suddenly change)?

• 2 months later...