NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

NEShow Monthly Contest Thread

Hello and welcome to the brand new NEShow Monthly Contests Thread! The place for everything related to the monthly contests that feature in the NEShow.

Now, chances are that you’re probably scratching your head thinking, “what’s this guy on about?” “What stupid thing is he planning this time?”, What does a Dcubed even look like?” and “Where are the prizes!?”. Well now! Slow down, and I’ll tell you.

As part of the newly launched NEShow, we are hosting a series of contests that take place over a month long period. Each one will test your Nintendo gaming skills across all of Nintendo’s platforms new and old, in a bid to compete for glory and for fun!

And yes, we do indeed have prizes up for grabs for the deserving winner of each month’s challenge (oh, NOW you’re interested? I thought you might be ;) )

In general, these contests will mainly require you to post screenshots of your best attempts, via PM, to me! (or to someone else who might end up operating it in my stead in the future if I’m not available; but for now? I’m your guy ;) ) We want to keep all of the attempts as private as possible, so we ask that you do not post your attempts in this thread or on the forums publically. The results will be announced on the NEShow episode that comes out around this time each month, and the winner will be contacted via PM for details and how/where to send their prize to.

So without further ado, here are the details for this month’s NEShow Monthly Challenge!

February-March 2016: Metroid Fusion

Metroid%20Fusion%20title%20screen_zpst2d2fluo.jpg

This month’s challenge is an Any % Speedrun of Metroid Fusion. In short, this means that you need to complete the game as fast as possible and the percentage of items that you collect does not matter. You can collect as many, or as few, items as you wish; but ultimately all that matters is how fast you manage to complete the game.

Which versions of the game are valid for entry into this contest?

All attempts for this month’s contest must be undertaken on either the Wii U VC or the 3DS Ambassador release of the game. Also, due to version differences, only submissions made using the European or US versions of the game will be accepted (Attempts made with the Japanese versions will not be considered).

Due to the prevalence of GBA cheat devices, modified save files and the possibility of emulator save states being used to perform a Tool Assisted Speedrun, we are not accepting attempts made using any other version, including the original GBA cart release.

How do I submit my attempt?

If you are playing the Wii U VC version, we require you to take two screenshots. One must be taken of the TV screen on the end results screen, like I have done below…

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. @Glen\-i just reminded me of a couple of other tips that'll come in handy for everyone taking part...

Firstly, pausing the game also pauses the in-game timer. This means that if you want to pause the game (be it to take a break, or check the map, or whatever) it will not count against your time. Good to know ;)

Secondly, if you choose to Start Over an already completed file, the map screen will show a handy dandy timer and will also keep track of the items you've collected in each area. Very good to know ;)

Edited by Dcubed

You mean there's an opportunity for me to get paid for my ridiculous GBA Metroid memory?*

Count me in!

*"Ridiculous GBA Metroid memory" may be an attempt to psyche competition out... or not. You feeling lucky?

Is it definitely not possible to just delete the restore point after using it?

The only way you can do it is either by deleting your save file from the Data Management menu, or by using a different NNID.

I think this is a great idea! It means that lots of people are playing the same game at the same time to encourage discussion, and it also gives another reason to revisit some classic games.

Well then! Be sure to PM me your best attempt before NEShow Episode 3 comes out! (Which will probably be around the 13-15th of March).

I have received some really solid attempts so far, but there's still plenty of room for improvement. So get cracking on mastering the BSL station and perfecting your shine sparking skills! That eShop voucher is still up for grabs! : peace:

It's a big ask isn't it :) I'd love to go for it but I haven't even finished it once yet. I reckon a speed run on a Mario maker level or or something would get load more entries. But maybe that's not what you're after.

A friendly reminder that this competition will finish in approximately two weeks time. So get your attempts in ASAP for the chance to win that cheeky £15 eShop voucher!

We're into the last week of our first Monthly contest, so if you want to be IN! with a chance to wIN! that £15 eShop voucher (enough to buy all three of the Super Mario Advance games coming out this week, with change to spare ;) ); be sure to PM me your best Metroid Fusion speedrun attempt before the next N-Europe Show episode comes out (which will probably be some time between Sunday 13th - Tuesday 15th March!) : peace:

And that brings the March contest to a close!

RetroPlay-March-Winner-Picture-For-Forum_zpsdtbd1zap.png

Congratulations go to Glen-i to the excellent time of 1:22!

So as we move into April, what could possibly be the subject of our next contest... What!? You've already watched the NEShow and you know the answer!? Well aren't you a good little N-Er!

That's right! Our next challenge is a high score run of Star Fox 64!

March-April: Star Fox 64

WVW69jDca2MCFpf5He

In this contest, you may take any pathway you like and your final score at the end of the game (after seeing the credits) is what we're interested in this time!

Which versions of the game are valid for entry into this contest?

Any version of the game is valid. Yes that's right, it doesn't matter if you're using the PAL, NTSC, Wii, N64 or Wii U version; all versions are valid for entry and that includes Star Fox 64 3D

How do I submit my attempt?

For all versions except Wii U, we require just a single screenshot of the end results screen that you PM to me (do not post it in this thread - we want to keep results private and thus, exciting all the way till when the winner is announced). It can be either this one...

WVW69jCsNnEym68gRv

or this one...

WVW69jDiUT88Xtjwfi

But it must be one of the two. We need to be able to see what path you took.

Likewise, off screen camera photos are fine as well. As long as you take a picture of either of these two screens, you're golden (That also means that if you have an amazing, unbeatable score that you got some time ago, you can just submit that as well ;) )

The Wii U version has an exception though. Because of the Restore Point feature, any attempts made with the Wii U version MUST be taken as a Miiverse screenshot and we require you to take two screenshots. The first screenshot is of your attempt and your second screenshot MUST show the Virtual Console Menu, confirming that no Restore Points have been used. Please post the second screenshot as a comment in the first post you make; an example can be seen below if you follow the Miiverse link...

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

What prize is up for grabs?

This month, we have a copy of Star Fox 64 3D to give away! The winner will be announced in NEShow Episode 5 and they can choose whether they want the physical or the digital version; they will be contacted via PM for their delivery details if necessary, or will have the eShop code PM'd to them.

How many attempts can I submit in a month?

As many as you like! Only your best attempt will be accounted for, so if you think you can do better than the attempt you just submitted, then there’s no reason to not go ahead and make another submission! Until the results are announced on the NEShow, you are still in with a chance to win. So don’t let up!

Any Pro-Tips for this month’s challenge?

Charged Unlocked Shots are your best friend! In short, this little trick allows you to fire a charged shot WITHOUT locking onto an enemy. Why would you want to do that you ask? Well! I'm glad you asked...

WVW69jDivXMvy_YSFU

Wait, WHAT!? How the hell did you get +1 on THE FIRST ENEMY!?

You know how shooting down multiple enemies at once with a charged shot nabs you an extra +1 hit onto your score for each additional enemy that you shoot down? Wouldn't it be nice if you could do that with singular enemies? Or just add an extra +1 hit onto EVERYTHING you shoot down? Well, that's exactly what this allows you to do!

All you have to do is hold down the L and R (or L and Z, depending on what version you're playing) buttons while charging a charge shot and it will not lock onto an enemy. Then just shoot down an enemy with the explosion of your charge shot; I can't stress this enough; it must NOT be a direct hit!. That's it! Simple? Right? Well, it certainly is simple... pulling it off however? Not so easy...

Don't feel that you have to hit every single enemy with one of these trick shots; not even world record holders attempt to shoot everything down with one of these (it's just not quick enough). Speaking of which...

Watch some high score runs from record holders and see how the pros do it!

Any other tips?

Why yes! Actually! Other things to keep in mind include what path to take. Now there isn't really a universally accepted path that most pros consider best, but most tend to err towards the following two...

Corneria, Meteo, Katina, Sector X, Macbeth, Area 6, Venom

Corneria, Sector Y, Aquas, Zoness, Macbeth, Area 6, Venom

If you don't like those course routes, that's ok! Just pick the courses that you are personally best at! And if you're not feeling confident in a specific course... Use Star Fox 64 3D and practice specific stages!

MORE! I WANT MOAR TIPS!!!

Alright alright, calm down, sheesh! Let me get to it already!!

Did you know that there are ways to veer off the beaten path? It doesn't HAVE to be just all Easy, Normal or Hard... In fact, hidden in the spoiler tag below is a guide of how to travel from one path to another in each specific level...

To get to Sector Y, you must first kill the 3 enemies tailing Falco halfway through the level. After that, you have to fly under all the rock arches on the lake. When you do this, Falco will be impressed with your flying and show you a route to a different boss. Defeat him and move on.

Katina from Meteo: this isn't on the map. When you get to an asteroid field late in the level, there will be some rings that look very much like checkpoints. Pass through all 7 (difficult! It will take some practice) and enter the resulting warp. No boss, just make it to the end.

Solar from Fortuna: Shoot down Star Wolf before the bomb goes off.

Macbeth from Sector X: Defeat Spyborg before Slippy tries to play hero. A good rule of thumb is to shoot it down before Falco finishes his quote. Remember: the weak spot is the head.

Sector Z from Sector X: again, this isn't on the map. When you have to go left or right, go left. Shoot 4 warp gates that appear when notified and pass through them. Then survive the warp. Be careful: it is easy to die here. This is a good route to take if you need the Sector Z medal as Katt won't steal kills from you.

Solar from Katina: Shoot the mother-ship core before 1 minute is up.

Aquas from Sector Y: Kill 100+ enemies.

Sector Z from Zoness: Shoot all the searchlights.

Area 6 from:

-Macbeth: Shoot the 8 switches and then the main switcher. If you came from Zoness Katt will will get 2 and 5 for you. Falco will shoot the last one if he's with you. You also have to have Peppy alive to make it through the main switch and blow up the train.

-Sector Z: destroy all 6 missiles.

Another thing to consider is Expert Mode. While it does include additional enemies for you to shoot down (and thus, theoretically a higher possible end game score), it does mean that you're far more likely to lose your laser power-up as your wings become much more fragile in this mode. Still! With great risk comes great reward...

Finally, CONSERVE YOUR BOMBS!!! They are precious and should not be wasted on small groups of enemies. There are two levels in the game where you can farm them and get up to 9 of them (Meteo; inside the warp zone and Zoness; during the boss encounter). Also, (aside from Zoness' boss) do not ever use them on bosses; they're wasted on them.

Also note that you will NOT get a +Hit bonus on multiple enemies shot down using a bomb, only with a charge shot/unlocked charge shot; so only use them when you have no other way of shooting down every enemy.

If you have any other questions at all, feel free to ask. Also feel free to submit ideas for future challenges and discuss anything related to the NEshow challenges here!

Of course if you just feel like chatting about monthly challenges in general, the NEShow, Star Fox 64 in general, other techniques for achieving better scores, or just feel like cursing Star Wolf for clipping your wings once again; feel absolutely free to fill this thread with your thoughts! (Just be sure to keep your actual submission attempts as PMs towards me only!)

And with that, good luck to all of you! : peace:

Edited by Dcubed

Good thing too, because I probably won't bother with this challenge for three reasons.

1. I really, really suck at Star Fox 64.

2. I don't particularly enjoy the game.

3. I already have a copy of Star Fox 64 3D. So it would be mean to try and win another one.

Now that NEShow Episode 4 is out, it's time for a friendly reminder that this contest is still running until Episode 5 comes out. So you still have roughly 2 weeks to break those records and give General Pepper the biggest heart attack of his life : peace:

Sign in to follow this