NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Replacement phone suggestion?

AAAAAAAAARGH! Imagine my surprise at the fact it has TWO sim card slots! I didn't know it had two, and I was pleasantly surprised! Is it actually dual-SIM or does it just let you toggle one or the other?

However imagine my greater surprised(and aforementioned argh) upon realising I need a fucking micro SIM for this prick. Super unimpressed right now.

What do you currently have? You can cut a normal sim into a micro with a pair of scissors. It's not that hard.

You can't use a nano sim though, you'd need an adapter.

Not sure about other places, but in The Netherlands [if im correct] a nano sim is cut from a micro sim, and a mirco sim is cut from a regular sim card. Guy at the store said they could make them even smaller then the nano size, but that would simply be unpractical.

I have a Galaxy S6, wich replaced my Galaxy Core 2 [that last one sucks pretty damn hard]. The S6 does everyhting i want it to do, so for me its an ideal phone. That said, im not your average smartphone user.

What do you currently have? You can cut a normal sim into a micro with a pair of scissors. It's not that hard.

You can't use a nano sim though, you'd need an adapter.

I wasn't feeling keen to chance my hands on a SIM card with scissors, not to mention it being my main number in case I mashed it/my new phone up!

Luckily the men of my family tend to have a habit of having all sorts of randomly useful crap and tools no sensible person generally tends to own - and ofc my brother naturally had a micro sim cutter when I asked last night lol. Whipped round there and grabbed it, cut a test SIM(which I'll put in as SIM2 later, is a super old number) and then cut my main and thankfully it worked! Need to get me some decent adapters in case I ever need to step back up again though.

Phone's up and running and I'm liking it a lot so far! The size is a bit crazy and holding an older phone now seems quite weird due to the size difference. I think it's just nice having a phone that isn't half-riddled with various problems and that's actually quite fast and slick etc. After a few tries/removals I managed to somehow get Whatsapp to NOT restore from my google drive and from the old phone's microsd card - so I've got messages up to about 2/3 weeks ago which is what I wanted most and they weren't in my google drive. Hadn't realised that this version of android incorporates individual app permissions so I'm very happy to see that as a built in android feature now. My old phone had it as it was a Cyanogen cutom ROM i put on, and it's something I quite appreciate when I see apps asking for all sorts of crazy permissions. Sadly less detailed from what I've seen so far, but still better than not being there at all.

My old phone had more than 2 main screens and I had a lot of crap/clutter that I liked having - but I'll get used to that. Just realised you can add more screens!

The lack of actually sort of hard buttons at the bottom but being on the screen is a bit strange but I'm sure I'll adjust to that too and if it saved me a bit of money or allowed them to pack a bit more into the phone then I don't mind at all.

EDIT: erm....what's with something magnetic in the back near the camera? Just found a pin stuck to my phone and was confused!

Do you have any sort of case or screen protector for yours @bob? I know you've got the plus model so I assume it might not be quite the same size etc, but I feel like I really want some sort of cover/protection on this thing. Worried I'm gonna break it already somehow.

I have a Galaxy S6, wich replaced my Galaxy Core 2 [that last one sucks pretty damn hard]. The S6 does everyhting i want it to do, so for me its an ideal phone. That said, im not your average smartphone user.

Not average as in you use it more than most people, or less so? Just curious!

Edited by Rummy

EDIT: erm....what's with something magnetic in the back near the camera? Just found a pin stuck to my phone and was confused!

Is that where the speaker is?

Not average as in you use it more than most people, or less so? Just curious!
Way less. I use it to make phonecalls [yes, my phone can do that :P] and listen to music on the go. When it comes to apps i have Whatsapp, some weather app and an app to keep track of my data usage.

One GB a month, but if i use more then 100MB its alot.

Im planning on using this one until it doesnt work anymore.

Do you have any sort of case or screen protector for yours @bob? I know you've got the plus model so I assume it might not be quite the same size etc, but I feel like I really want some sort of cover/protection on this thing. Worried I'm gonna break it already somehow.

I always used to have cases and screen protectors on my phones, and inevitably I'd take them off near the end of the phones life and regret that I'd spent money on a nice sleek piece of kit, and then covered it up with a rubber/plastic monstrosity.

So this time I'm taking a gamble, and not using any case. It felt really precarious at first, but I'm a reasonably careful guy, and rarely drop my phone. This decision might come back to haunt me though. Only takes one fumble!

Is that where the speaker is?

Ahhh yeah could well be that - I believe the earpiece speaker as it were on this is doubled-up into the loudspeaker too so that does kinda make sense it'd have the big magnet for that near it -like a fool, I only considered it from the perspective of looking at it from the back.

Way less. I use it to make phonecalls [yes, my phone can do that :P] and listen to music on the go. When it comes to apps i have Whatsapp, some weather app and an app to keep track of my data usage.

One GB a month, but if i use more then 100MB its alot.

Im planning on using this one until it doesnt work anymore.

Ahhh! A man after my own heart! That's why I didn't get any super fancy/expensive phone. I probably use mine more than yourself(do do a lot of internet browsing) but I'm a 1GB a month man and I don't think I've broken that to date after very many years! Calls, texts, whatsapp/messenger - and just general small things. Tbh I think the most usage outside of that for my phone is browsing and then sending stuff to my Chromecast!

I always used to have cases and screen protectors on my phones, and inevitably I'd take them off near the end of the phones life and regret that I'd spent money on a nice sleek piece of kit, and then covered it up with a rubber/plastic monstrosity.

So this time I'm taking a gamble, and not using any case. It felt really precarious at first, but I'm a reasonably careful guy, and rarely drop my phone. This decision might come back to haunt me though. Only takes one fumble!

Ha! I guess I kinda see it, but I'm from that kinda asian background where the plastic would stay on your new chairs for years :p

The weird thing is I don't think I'm terribly clumsy - but sometimes I do have epic fumbles or do really stupid stuff. Having said that at the same time I also sometimes have like weirdly epic reflex catches to things when they're falling - it's just usually shit stuff that ain't worth no money and all my valuable shit hits the deck instead!

Ahhh! A man after my own heart! That's why I didn't get any super fancy/expensive phone. I probably use mine more than yourself(do do a lot of internet browsing) but I'm a 1GB a month man and I don't think I've broken that to date after very many years! Calls, texts, whatsapp/messenger - and just general small things. Tbh I think the most usage outside of that for my phone is browsing and then sending stuff to my Chromecast!
internet-bro-fist.jpg

Wanted to add that i hate* people who are constantly on their phone. Using it to kill time when you're at a busstop or something is logical, but some people go for a walk that lasts an hour for example, and when you ask them who they met during their walk, they cant answer that question. Smartphones give you acces to the internet, and thus the world. But seeing those people with their eyes stuck to their phones in public? All im thinking is: why look at the world through a screen when your eyesight is capable of witnessing it live and around you. Im pretty sure im kind of old fashioned when it comes to this [and a LOT of other things], but i dont care.

* i dont hate, im a pacifist [indian style peace pipe smoking or just regular pot :D]. I also dont want to say this to anyone directly, because there are probably people reading this post who in some degree go through life like that and i dont want to offend them really.

Edited by Naar

internet-bro-fist.jpg

Wanted to add that i hate* people who are constantly on their phone. Using it to kill time when you're at a busstop or something is logical, but some people go for a walk that lasts an hour for example, and when you ask them who they met during their walk, they cant answer that question. Smartphones give you acces to the internet, and thus the world. But seeing those people with their eyes stuck to their phones in public? All im thinking is: why look at the world through a screen when your eyesight is capable of witnessing it live and around you. Im pretty sure im kind of old fashioned when it comes to this [and a LOT of other things], but i dont care.

* i dont hate, im a pacifist [indian style peace pipe smoking or just regular pot :D]. I also dont want to say this to anyone directly, because there are probably people reading this post who in some degree go through life like that and i dont want to offend them really.

brofist_o_464277.gif

(originally I was only going to post that one but then I saw an FMA one)

5sXf5U1.gif

Bit of a bump to my Moto G4 friends - have you noticed that the status/icon bar up top actually causes a screen burn? I've noticed faint images of the old notification icons that much have stayed up there whilst I've used my phone extensively. Bit of an oversight imo - especially as the phone is only like 9 months old?

I've not had that. The only issue I've had with the G4 is the known problem where the screen goes crazy sometimes when charging due to it confusing the charge for screen inputs...

Ahhh, I used to have that with an old phone but thankfully not with my G4. Weridly the burn seems harder to see atm(diff area/lighting tho) and Google did suggest some folks suggesting it might go away - maybe something on my phone just happened to keep it as screen on for a long time and it was a temporary effect. I'll see if I can still see it in the morning.

Sign in to follow this