NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Emerald Emblem

Game capture device and Microphone recommendations

So I'm looking to buy some stuff to capture my video game footage and capture audio for commentary and the like. My budget for both is £150 combined maximum. Can anyone recommend anything good quality for my budget?

What timing, my mate's just started doing similar! Here's a silly little vid they did of MK8, I'll ask them what their setup is/was and the general cost if it's the kinda quality you're after - they might even know of alternative/cheaper options(ive no clue what they invested so far).

What timing, my mate's just started doing similar! Here's a silly little vid they did of MK8, I'll ask them what their setup is/was and the general cost if it's the kinda quality you're after - they might even know of alternative/cheaper options(ive no clue what they invested so far).

I'm very much looking forward to your response.

I'm very much looking forward to your response.

I've given him an ask but he's a bit slack at getting back to me sometimes, will bring you news of all the deets and setup as soon as he lets me know, sorry for the wait tho.

OK @Emerald Emblem he has gotten back to me, but I didn't realise some of their kit(notably the audio) was pre-existing.

Simply just an Elgato Game Capture HD, the latest one for PS4/XboxOne/WiiU compatibility. A HDMI cable comes with it and there is basic editing software built-in with the Elgato unit, but you need a half decent PC or laptop to run it all on (really, anything from 2010ish). Spec requirements are as follows:

Mac:

• OS X 10.7, 10.8 or later

• 2.0 Ghz (or higher) Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, or 2.0 Ghz (or higher) multi-core i3, i5 or i7 CPU

• 4GB Total Installed RAM (or higher)

• Built-in USB 2.0 port

Windows:

• Windows 7, Windows 8 or later

• 2.0 Ghz (or higher) dual core CPU, or 2.0 Ghz (or higher) multi-core i3, i5 or i7 CPU

• Sound card

• 4GB Total Installed RAM (or higher)

• Built-in USB 2.0 port

More specifications noted on the Elgato helpdesk here:

http://help.elgato.com/customer/portal/articles/1020255-what-system-requirements-does-my-computer-need-to-use-elgato-game-capture-hd

For the audio equipment however, that is something I shall have to ask Danny first, as he has a set-up from his past in studio recording so the mic and shit is over a few hundred pandas. All in all, Elgato is a great choice and is of industry standard, but your friend may want to consider if he intends on using any fancy editing technique, which will require a separate editing software (we're currently trying a free one called Lightworks)

Ouch, it's quite pricey, Amazon have it for £109 cut from £179.99. I might have to consider upping my range to £200 since decent mic's aren't cheap. Thanks for that, will await your responce on audio recording equipment.

I have both an Elgato and a Roxio.

Roxio is pretty much crap, it makes noise in the background for no reason and after every second unplug since your PC's boot: BSOD.

Elgato at the other hand captures everything nicely but make sure you only use it when you want to record. This is because the application eats your disc space for as long as it's running. Just close it down and you will receive your lost disc space back. But at the other hand, you won't have any sound output from your TV if the app isn't running and your console is still connected to the capture card.

Sign in to follow this