NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Will a 3.5inch caddy fry a 2.5inch drive?

Simple question - just curious really. I was thinking not, but then I wasn't 100% sure. I know the 2.5in caddies work fine just off of USB(my IDE works with just one, my SATA needed a Y cable) - but I know 3.5in drives use more power and their caddys need a mains supply - my question is if I connected a 2.5in drive to a mains powered 3.5in caddy - will it fry or damage it?

Did you solve this? You can probably appreciate that nobody here is going to want to recommend anything which could "fry or damage" your drive in case they might be wrong.

On the other hand, either drive can be connected to a standard PC PSU with no problems so...

If you want to be sure/have sensitive data, buy a laptop size caddy, they are super cheap

Did you solve this? You can probably appreciate that nobody here is going to want to recommend anything which could "fry or damage" your drive in case they might be wrong.

On the other hand, either drive can be connected to a standard PC PSU with no problems so...

If you want to be sure/have sensitive data, buy a laptop size caddy, they are super cheap

I didn't! I had googled and most of what I found was the 'in theory' aspect - as you say they could connect to a standard PSU, was wondering if anyone here had had the practical experience of it with an external caddy. I've actually got a 2.5 caddy already(or at least the connector) - was just wondering the other day as I was very far away from it and close to a 3.5inch, also was considering if I had two external satas and wanted to copy between. Was NOT aware of external caddies being as cheap as that though - so I might just invest in another!

Sign in to follow this