N-Europe

Fishing games

Josh64

Hey guys, I've came here looking for your advice on what could be considered a fairly obscure genre - fishing games.

Ever since I first played Animal Crossing on DS, I've loved fishing, at least virtually anyway, so I'd love for you guys to suggest some fun titles.

My favourite so far probably has to be SEGA Bass Fishing! Got it first on Dreamcast with the wonderful controller, and then the great port on Wii. I also quite liked Fishing Resort on Wii, the actual fishing part of it wasn't too fun, but looking around the aquariums and checking out the world was pretty fun.

On the flip-side, I've downloaded a WiiWare title, Reel Fishing I think it was called, which was absolute garbage, and I got Hooked On! for Vita, which should have been a great game, but was glitched as hell.

So it's been a mixed bag for me so far, and I'd love to try out some great fishing games that are either fun and full of action like SEGA Bass Fishing or let you collect and learn (to a degree) about different kinds like on Animal Crossing.

I know it might be a slight shot in the dark given the small number of games available but I thought it'd be worth asking you guys :p

Weirdly enough I played Ocarina of Times LOADS and I only went fishing once :p I consisted of catching a fish in a bottle from one of those underground caves (that sometimes had cows in them?) and giving it to a homeless ginger kid.

Stupid 'poor' kid then gave me 200 rupees for the fish.

The fishing in Twilight Princess is great fun and that was only a mini-game. I'd love for Nintendo to release a fully fledged fishing game. I've loved all the fishing mini games in Zelda starting with Links Awakening. I've never played Sega Bass fishing. I've always imagined it's very Americanised with just lure fishing and very limited species if not just the Bass. It definitely helps that I go fishing for real, mostly coarse fishing.

Weirdly enough I played Ocarina of Times LOADS and I only went fishing once :p I consisted of catching a fish in a bottle from one of those underground caves (that sometimes had cows in them?) and giving it to a homeless ginger kid.

Stupid 'poor' kid then gave me 200 rupees for the fish.

Whaaaaaaaaaat? I'm talking about proper* fishing! In Lake Hylia!

(*ok it's still fairly rudimentary and not really proper but I still loved it)

Edited by Rummy

Yeah, SEGA Bass Fishing is literally just bass, and is VERY arcadey, but that's why I like it :P Imagine SEGA Rally or DAYTONA transformed into a fishing game.

I barely played Twilight Princess because I was very burnt out on Zelda at the time. I've been meaning to play it though, so maybe I could kill two birds with one stone on that one!

@Rummy - Literally had no idea! This is mad! I'll have to go back and play that now!

...Though I sold my 3DS Ocarina of Time :( And my GC memory card wiped. I guess I'll just have to start over :p

The fishing in Twilight Princess is great fun and that was only a mini-game. I'd love for Nintendo to release a fully fledged fishing game. I've loved all the fishing mini games in Zelda starting with Links Awakening. I've never played Sega Bass fishing. I've always imagined it's very Americanised with just lure fishing and very limited species if not just the Bass. It definitely helps that I go fishing for real, mostly coarse fishing.

For me I felt TP was ok but for some reason lacked something that OoT had, though I couldn't place what. I did think at the time that Wii fishing games would be top stuff though, and similarly expected to see a few(especially one from Ninty) but alas I don't think that really happened?

It definitely helps that I go fishing for real, mostly coarse fishing.

Are you sure you don't go fishing for...reel?

:awesome:

@Rummy - Literally had no idea! This is mad! I'll have to go back and play that now!

...Though I sold my 3DS Ocarina of Time :( And my GC memory card wiped. I guess I'll just have to start over :p

Well I did just edit my post to say it's hardly in-depth, so don't get too excited. Just found it rather...addictively tranquil? myself. I'm sure I lost hours in that place. Maybe not worth the effort to go and get back there...(though really I don't think that is that much anyway).

I'll keep it in mind for when I inevitably go back to Ocarina of Time (every few years or so, pretty much whenever Nintendo throw it on a new system, so I'm guessing when the Wii U VC version comes out :P)

and considering I like the fishing in Animal Crossing which is about as simple as you can get, I'm sure I'll like it.

And it's probably because it took place in Lake Hylia! I love that place! It's just so atmospheric, and almost a bit creepy in 'the future'. I'd be surprised if we ever got a Nintendo game as magical as that again, I can't put my finger on it, but everywhere in that game was just beautiful.

I'll keep it in mind for when I inevitably go back to Ocarina of Time (every few years or so, pretty much whenever Nintendo throw it on a new system, so I'm guessing when the Wii U VC version comes out :P)

and considering I like the fishing in Animal Crossing which is about as simple as you can get, I'm sure I'll like it.

And it's probably because it took place in Lake Hylia! I love that place! It's just so atmospheric, and almost a bit creepy in 'the future'. I'd be surprised if we ever got a Nintendo game as magical as that again, I can't put my finger on it, but everywhere in that game was just beautiful.

Ahhhhh...well the fishing place is located there, but it's a separate small fishing pool sort of place. Did you ever play MM? If you did, did you never wonder if/where the curiosity shop man's OoT counterpart was?!

(hint he ran the fishing hole)

Ridiculous Fishing! Not realistic at all but really fun. I've never been a fan of sega bass fishing controller aside it's not all that good. In fact it's one of the very few reviews I've actually done for N-Europe:

http://www.n-europe.com/reviews/sega-bass-fishing

Best fishing game from my point of view being a fisherman is Bassmasters on the N64. I used to have another game on Amiga that was pretty good but cannot for the life of me remember the name. Finally how come we've never a Mario Fishing?!!!!!