N-Europe

Star Wars: Attack Squadrons

Happenstance

Disney has announced the latest in its slew of upcoming Star Wars titles with Star Wars: Attack Squadrons, a free-to-play space combat game for up to 16 players.

Developed by new Seattle-based studio Area 52 Games, Attack Squadrons is due in 2014 on PC and will feature three modes of PvP action: Free For All, Team Dogfight and Base Defense. You'll also be able to earn points to customise your ship and buy new items.

You can sign up for the Attack Squadrons beta, which launches next year, on the game's official site.

Check out the Star Wars: Attack Squadrons debut trailer below.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-17-star-wars-goes-f2p-with-space-combat-game-attack-squadrons

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
The upcoming free-to-play 16-player space combat game Star Wars: Attack Squadrons has been cancelled.

Developer Area 52 Games announced the game's shutting down today on its official site. "After much consideration, we have decided to cease development so that we can focus on other Star Wars game experiences," the fledgling Seattle-based studio said. "We truly appreciate the time you spent engaging in the beta."

The dogfighting game was only announced in December, before it went into closed beta in January. It featured three game modes: Free For All, Team Dogfight and Base Defense.

EA has declined to comment on what Star Wars project Area 52 is working on next.

Well that's that then. Now I've re-watched the video I really want a new Star Wars space combat game.

Out of interest, what site are you quoting? I find it funny that they asked a company that has nothing to do with this game for a comment.

That was Eurogamer...what do you mean asking a company who has nothing to do with game? EA own the rights to Star Wars and Area 52 were developing it. There are only 2 companies mentioned both involved in the making/publishing of this game.

That was Eurogamer...what do you mean asking a company who has nothing to do with game? EA own the rights to Star Wars and Area 52 were developing it. There are only 2 companies mentioned both involved in the making/publishing of this game.

EA have the rights to the core Star Wars games. However, Disney still have the rights to mobile, social and browser games (like Attack Squadrons).

EA have the rights to the core Star Wars games. However, Disney still have the rights to mobile, social and browser games (like Attack Squadrons).

Well clearly confusion reins as they aren't the only site reporting about it and mentioning EA. It didn't look mobile, social or browser (technically wasn't I wouldn't class free to play as having to fall into any of them) either which may have lead to this confusion.