NEurope
EEVILMURRAY

Changing 3DS data over SD cards

Due to having too much funky shit on one SD card I've had to buy a larger one to accomodate it all. But naturally I'd like it all on the new larger SD card.

I've tried following the "Official" Nintendo method http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_la/ht_settings.jsp?menu=data%20management&submenu=ctr-ht-settings-transfer-data-between-sd

But after dragging the older stuff on the new card and turning the 3DS on there's no hint of my old games being on the new card.

Edited by -Dem0-

i just copy and pasted when i got a new sd card... no issues

Did that take over all your downloaded games as well?

I thought that maybe it had merely copied over the same data, so set about redownloading all my eshop things. Checked Pullblox and Code of Princess and there's no save file, it hadn't copied from the smaller SD card :(

Something went over. But I think it was just pictures or something.

You should have a 3DS and DCIM folder and maybe 1 other folder on your SD card. Try copying all the data instead of dragging all (do a select all and copy) on to your computer then copy them to into the root of your new SD card. You should be able to recover all your data as long as you haven't deleted it from your old card.

I just copied and pasted everything over via windows explorer(copied contents of old to folder, inserted new, copied over) - worked without any issue at all.

You should have a 3DS and DCIM folder and maybe 1 other folder on your SD card. Try copying all the data instead of dragging all (do a select all and copy) on to your computer then copy them to into the root of your new SD card. You should be able to recover all your data as long as you haven't deleted it from your old card.

I tried both those methods :( It acknowledges that there are files that the other SD card doesn't have, but they're no where near as big as about 2GB - the size of the smaller card.

Format the new card (does 3DS reqyire a FAT32 formatting?) then try copy and paste everything on the root of the old card to the new

Did that take over all your downloaded games as well?

I thought that maybe it had merely copied over the same data, so set about redownloading all my eshop things. Checked Pullblox and Code of Princess and there's no save file, it hadn't copied from the smaller SD card :(

Something went over. But I think it was just pictures or something.

Is the save still on the other SD memory card? If so, Put it back in and while having it displayed on your 3DS screen at the bottom it should say "Open, Manual" to the left it should have an arrow so you can backup your save data back it up and copy everything again.

I've never had the problem but it could help.

Eek. What a pain in the vagina.

I've got a bizarre problem - have 3 x 3DS folders on NY SD card, all near identical. The only difference seems to be that one folder has recent back up data. I've tried copying all files (Windows wants to overwrite) and selecting the fuller with up to date back up... Nothing.

Bring me cloud back ups Nintendo because this is retarded.

@EEVILMURRAY Did you sort your problem out? I've had a very similar problem but have finally managed to sort it... I hope...

My 3DS attempted to create software management when a new SD card was inserted - every time and thisa resulted in existing data not being read by the 3DS, games, saves and save back up. I think i've now managed to sort my problem out by ignoring all Nintendo advice and fiddling with folders and files. There's seemingly something in the StreetPass folder that was causing the 3DS to ignore all existing data and create new software management.

I have lost all incomplete StreetPass Puzzles but everything else seems OK so far. I'm testing a few games - but things, so far, seem fine.

Its been a really odd situation; I was not stupid enough to fiddle with folders and files (and no one else went near the laptop whilst I was performing the transfer). I can only assume that StreetPass is a bastard and created some rogue file that fucked everything up? Is that even possible?!

I don't think I have sorted it to be honest. And I was sent Bravely Default to review via download and it's almost maxed out that SD card too (I did redownload Code of Princess but I could delete that)

Without putting in too much effort I might just keep it as it is and have a shitload of tiny memory cards. It's like having a physical copy of a game now!

Just got a new SD card in the post and the same fucking issue, what on earth is up with this console, I've transferred cards before!

Okay, now it supposedly works. Time to test every thing like saving..

Edited by Debug Mode

When I get a new SD card and copy it, it takes a couple of tries before it registers that it has stuff on it, and then I have no issues forever