NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Supergrunch

Does anyone know about typical car bodywork prices?

I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for the Tech Talk forum, but it's not really tech, so here goes:

My girlfriend has a small scratch on her Nissan Micra that she'd like to get repaired, which looks like this after being cleaned up:

IgJhJed.jpg?1

She's been quoted £132 inc VAT to get this fixed. Now the problem is neither of us know anything about cars, so have no idea whether or not this is reasonable - can anyone help me out? I tried to google for forums specific for this sort of thing, but couldn't really find any, so I thought friendly N-E might at least be able to point me in the direction of somewhere where I can find this out.

Forgive me asking, but what's supposed to the scratch/damage being repaired? Can't really see like too much is wrong looking at the pic! Not likely to be able to help on price as I've never paid for bodywork, but if it's done properly I'm fairly sure it takes a bit of time due to paint removal, filler if necessary, sanding, then different coats being put on getting it painted good and blended etc. I have a feeling Moogle and/or Goafer have done car repair work so they might be handy to ask!

That's a reasonable price for it.

I wouldn't normally recommend them, but have you tried Halfords. They might be able to do it for less than £100.

Have you tried T-cut ad/or wax/polish? I don't actually see what scratch you're talking about, so it must be small. Usually T-cut will sort it out.

If that's to get it resprayed, do it now.

I had a similar scratch on my front driver side and was quoted a lot more initially for it. It was only til I went through my mum's work that I was able to get it cheaper.

Thanks all - it may be too small to see, but the main damage is on the end of the front raised part, where there's a bit of paint chipped off. Anyway, glad to hear it's a reasonable price - I think this may even be a Halfords quote, or if not, they weren't able to give one. And the chip is a bit too big to completely conceal with something like T-cut I think, so I think if she wants it to look the same as before then she's best placed getting it done professionally.

Thanks all - it may be too small to see, but the main damage is on the end of the front raised part, where there's a bit of paint chipped off. Anyway, glad to hear it's a reasonable price - I think this may even be a Halfords quote, or if not, they weren't able to give one. And the chip is a bit too big to completely conceal with something like T-cut I think, so I think if she wants it to look the same as before then she's best placed getting it done professionally.

Definitely. I'm surprised if that's a Halford's quote, but getting something sanded and re-sprayed always seems to be expensive if you want it done professionally.

Sign in to follow this