NEurope
Serebii

Pokémon Direct - September 4th

Hold the banana phone. Do you get to choose a Kanto starter at the beginning?

Hold the banana phone. Do you get to choose a Kanto starter at the beginning?

No. You choose the Kalos starters in the beginning.

You get the Kanto starters later on when you first meet the professor

No. You choose the Kalos starters in the beginning.

You get the Kanto starters later on when you first meet the professor

Cheers for clearing that up. Still got to get me a Charmander.

quality! then assuming its not say 3 gyms in to get the kanto starter two i'm going to farm starters to breed and then start a master file on Y! Cheers for clearing that up @Serebii

Do note that Pokémon Bank isn't available until December 27th here

:blank: i never saw that bit.....i guess i'll have to wait to play pokemon? will GTAV occupy me until then? crap why such a delay thats really irritating:shakehead

:blank: i never saw that bit.....i guess i'll have to wait to play pokemon? will GTAV occupy me until then? crap why such a delay thats really irritating:shakehead

To be fair, it's not available in Japan until December 25 (Merry Christmas to me)

It's like people don't read my news reports or something :heh:

So, presumably no way to transfer before Bank comes out? Hmm

Nope. Gotta slum it with the new ones until then :p

The Kalos Dex is huge though, so don't worry

Nope. Gotta slum it with the new ones until then :p

The Kalos Dex is huge though, so don't worry

And this is where I get pissed with the idea. Fair enough they want to prevent the hacked Pokemon getting through, but they should really have a free, fair way to transfer your old Pokemon over.

I'd rather they just not have transfers at all at this rate. Sure, they've got a free trial but something that you could easily do with 2 pieces of hardware should not be capitalised on.

Heck, I don't get why this thing even needs an annual fee. The entire franchise is virtually future proof as it is, no matter what it does, what does a little bit of online storage change?

Only just got around to watching this. Bit of a weird choice to go with a cloud solution for Pokemon Bank instead of just having it save to the 3DS SD card. It's not like you'll be using the software on multiple consoles with how we can't download our purchases on more than one device.

The reasons it is online rather than through SD card/wireless is threefold

1. SD card could easily be copied and you end up easily cloning Pokémon

2. By having it online, they have the ability to continually update it without having to force the user to redownload the software or to download a patch. This allows for them to continue to improve the hack checks to make sure as many as possible are blocked should some manage to get through. It also allows for the format of the Pokémon to be changed to allow for data from later games, which they said is going to happen. This allows for your Pokémon to easily be sent to Generation VII later without any need for a transfer method.

3. Junichi Masuda has confirmed recently that DS games and 3DS games cannot communicate with eachother, and they tried many ways to get it working, but it never did.

The fee is in order for them to maintain the servers to allow for 24/7 access, and continue to improve the service.

The reasons it is online rather than through SD card/wireless is threefold

1. SD card could easily be copied and you end up easily cloning Pokémon

2. By having it online, they have the ability to continually update it without having to force the user to redownload the software or to download a patch. This allows for them to continue to improve the hack checks to make sure as many as possible are blocked should some manage to get through. It also allows for the format of the Pokémon to be changed to allow for data from later games, which they said is going to happen. This allows for your Pokémon to easily be sent to Generation VII later without any need for a transfer method.

3. Junichi Masuda has confirmed recently that DS games and 3DS games cannot communicate with eachother, and they tried many ways to get it working, but it never did.

The fee is in order for them to maintain the servers to allow for 24/7 access, and continue to improve the service.

1) This is true. And I don't see any solution to this. All the data saved onto a 3DS card can be copied and returned to the same 3DS.

2) Considering this is the only place the Pokemon Bank will be used, any changes they make will have to be in an update to the application. All they have server side is the stored data. Admittedly if they keep this idea for future games, and keep tweaking the stored Pokemon to work with the future games, it'd be great. I'm guessing the linking of accounts will be as clumsy as the linking of the games to the Pokemon Global Link.

3) This doesn't make much sense because they're still having the middle-man app interact with the DS games. They could have done exactly the same except save to local storage instead of online. Of course this is a moot point considering they can't save to local storage because of being able to clone the data.

With the price, I'm fine with there being a cost, there always is. I understand people's annoyance at paying though. We can only use this with their products, which we're already paying for, and the server side storage requirements will be incredibly small.

1) This is true. And I don't see any solution to this. All the data saved onto a 3DS card can be copied and returned to the same 3DS.

2) Considering this is the only place the Pokemon Bank will be used, any changes they make will have to be in an update to the application. All they have server side is the stored data. Admittedly if they keep this idea for future games, and keep tweaking the stored Pokemon to work with the future games, it'd be great. I'm guessing the linking of accounts will be as clumsy as the linking of the games to the Pokemon Global Link.

3) This doesn't make much sense because they're still having the middle-man app interact with the DS games. They could have done exactly the same except save to local storage instead of online. Of course this is a moot point considering they can't save to local storage because of being able to clone the data.

With the price, I'm fine with there being a cost, there always is. I understand people's annoyance at paying though. We can only use this with their products, which we're already paying for, and the server side storage requirements will be incredibly small.

2. The hack checks are actually all server side. The checks they have on BW/B2W2 are all server side so it will be here too.

3. I was talking DS game -> 3DS game direct through wireless