NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

http://nisamerica.com/pressreleases/SoulHackers_PAL_20130425_NISA_F.pdf

Santa Ana, Calif. (April 25, 2013) – NIS America announced today its plans to partner with ATLUS, a brand of Index Digital Media, Inc., to publish Shin Megami Tensei®: Devil Summoner®: Soul Hackers in Europe this fall, exclusively for the Nintendo 3DSTM. Developed by ATLUS and originally released for the Sega Saturn in Japan back in 1997, and for the PlayStation in 1999, Soul Hackers will make its European debut with a variety of new gameplay features, enhancements, and a full English localization.

So that's every currently announced Atlus game on its way to Europe! :D (not counting Devil Survivor 2 Break, but that hasn't been announced for US release yet either)

Seems that this NiS America partnership is becoming a regular thing now, instead of just a one off :D Hopefully this is finally the end of our woes when it comes to EU Atlus releases!

Edited by Grazza

Thought they showed this in the last Nintendo Direct?

No, that was Shin Megami Tensei 4. This is Soul Hackers, a completely different game.

That's interesting. What's the game about, then? I keep hearing its name, but I literally know nothing about it (and I guess most people visiting the thread won't, either)

No, that was Shin Megami Tensei 4. This is Soul Hackers, a completely different game.

Oh right, think they're starting to mix together, seems to be a lot of them at the moment.

Awesome. Though I'm annoyed we have to wait until the fall to get it, but I guess we should be thankful we're getting the game at all. *Keeps earning Play Coins*

That's interesting. What's the game about, then? I keep hearing its name, but I literally know nothing about it (and I guess most people visiting the thread won't, either)

Soul hacking, one would assume. You hack yourself into a virtual reality world, where someone threatens to steal your soul. You're saved and find out you have the souls of several people trapped within your body. The game is supposed to be pretty trippy.

It's a first-person dungeon crawler where you recruit demons to fight for you (you can use four at a time, plus the male and female main characters). Think Strange Journey but with more story.

It's an enhanced port of an old Saturn/PS1 game.

It's a first-person dungeon crawler

It sounded good enough up until this part... :(

The premise sounds similar to Shin Megami Tensei, though, and I plan on trying the old SMTs one day (which are the same genre), so who knows.

The premise sounds similar to Shin Megami Tensei, though, and I plan on trying the old SMTs one day (which are the same genre), so who knows.

It sounds similar because this is a spin-off. :p

If you're going to play any of the first-person MegaTen games this probably isn't a bad place to start, as the story is supposed to be pretty good and it's apparently fairly easy.

Oh, unless you're only playing MegaTen because of Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, since only the main characters from the main series are confirmed to appear.

It sounds similar because this is a spin-off. :p

If you're going to play any of the first-person MegaTen games this probably isn't a bad place to start, as the story is supposed to be pretty good and it's apparently fairly easy.

Oh, unless you're only playing MegaTen because of Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, since only the main characters from the main series are confirmed to appear.

I actually wanted to try them for the longest time, now :heh: I suppose spin-offs aren't a bad place to go to, either, but the dungeon crawler genre really does put me off.

Maybe I'll just look at a few videos once this is out.

Have you played Devil Survivor? That may be more up your alley. Or you could start with something more causal like Persona 4 and work your way up to the more hardcore dungeon crawlers.

But yeah, I agree that dungeon-crawling isn't the most fun thing in the world. :heh:

I was going to say something about Devil Survivor not being released in Europe, but apparently it was. And DS 2 may be released in Europe...on the DS. Go figure.

Yeah, might go for that one when I eventually get a 3DS

Well, you're going to have to get a 3DS for Soul Hackers, anyway. ;)

Or just play the DS version of Devil Survivor, I guess. I definitely think you should check it out, though, since you like Fire Emblem. And then it can be your gateway drug to more MegaTen!

Edited by Magnus

It's strange, I've never played a SMT game but i'm thinking about picking this up. I guess I have to start somewhere.

I picked this up early this week, and have been playing it a bit so far. I haven't been very much into Dungeon Crawlers, I have tried a few, but none of them have clicked yet. Can't say anything about this one so far, but I have enjoyed it a bit more than say Elminage Original or Etrian Odyssey.

BTW, I got a few lols for finding out this game has a character called Masahiro Sakurai.

I picked this up yesterday and so far i'm really enjoying it. Having never played a SMT game nor a dungeon crawler I didn't really know what to expect. The story so far has been solid and is helped by decent voice acting. Still getting a hang of the combat, just figured out that the cycles of the moon affect the strength of your and enemy demons.

Seems to be a pretty good starting point to jump into SMT, since it sounds like it isn't the hardest in a series while having the strongest story. I'll probably picked up Devil Survivor Overclock and/or Strange Journey when i'm done with this.

Sign in to follow this