N-Europe

Playing a US Gamecube game on my Wii?

flameboy

Hi....so yeah exactly that.

I have a US copy of Animal Crossing I want to be able to play. It's in England and plan on picking it up next time I'm back. My original plan was to just to pick up a US gamecube over here and play it along with any other games I pick up cheap. Until I found out that your device formats the memory card to the region of the machine irrespective of the region of the game.

So what are my options. I assume that my first run freeloader won't run on Wii. I've seen that disc swapping technique where you act fast and swap discs but never worked for me.... I could pick up a UK gamecube at a car boot sale or something but my concerns are whether or it will be a later model and therefore freeloader won't work.

Is homebrewing an option purely for this game?

I'm loath to lose my game save I should point out as it came with a memory card that had exclusive items on it. Plus I repayed all my debt and don't wanna pay it back again lol.

UK GC+freeloader maybe? Or Wii+Homebrew channel with Gecko(might be a better option now) for playing other region discs? Could still even try the freeloader on the wii, but I'm pretty sure they made it not work; hence I ended up homebrew+geckoing my wii for Brawl.

The GameCube part of the Wii is locked off from the Wii one, so I'm not sure if homebrew would be the solution. My Wii is region free, but there's not much you can do with the GameCube part.

Some places out there can point you toward running GameCube game files off SD Cards on the Wii, but those people are cheats and pirates best not mentioned in this thread. Best thing would be to pick up a working Freeloader (does one still exist?)

I don't think one does, hence why I said it might have to be UK GC+existing freeloader.

As for the homebrew not working; why not? All they really block as far as I'm aware is recognising/launching the disc? As long as a homebrew app exists to launch a GC disc, should be fine? I'll admit I don't know if a homebrew app DOES exist to do that; but a lot of the groundwork for homebrew on wii started with GC so I would like to hope so. I don't have any US gc games, but I might see if I can launch a GC disc with gecko through the HBC - it's not a guarantee it'll be a solution for flameboy but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

- http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko_OS - one of the version updates there mention 'improved gamecube disc detection' - might work.

This came up in google, too.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCBooter - another app that might work.

Edited by Rummy

Well thanks to @f00had who sent me a handy guide. I now have the homebrew channel installed and Neogamma running. I went to EB and picked up a used copy of Super Smash Brothers Brawl (a game I just never got round to buying) and it works like a dream. Don't have any gamecube games yet and not about to indulge in piracy to test it. I'll go see if there are cheap gamecube games at the local cash converters next time I'm close by to test it. Before picking up my Animal Crossing when I'm back in UK.

I guess my other question would be what other uses for the Homebrew Channel are there? Plenty of people legitimised it's worthiness back in the day but other than region unlocking and if you want to be a dirty pirate I don't see why I would need it on my system.

WiiMC is pretty cool. It lets you play most media files and ShoutCast Radio (included) is awesome if you like streaming your music! I'm not sure, other than that! You should get the Homebrew Browser and have a look through some of the apps.

Well thanks to @f00had who sent me a handy guide. I now have the homebrew channel installed and Neogamma running. I went to EB and picked up a used copy of Super Smash Brothers Brawl (a game I just never got round to buying) and it works like a dream. Don't have any gamecube games yet and not about to indulge in piracy to test it. I'll go see if there are cheap gamecube games at the local cash converters next time I'm close by to test it. Before picking up my Animal Crossing when I'm back in UK.

I guess my other question would be what other uses for the Homebrew Channel are there? Plenty of people legitimised it's worthiness back in the day but other than region unlocking and if you want to be a dirty pirate I don't see why I would need it on my system.

I mostly used mine for region unlocking, and just random homebrew apps - I occasionally used my Wii to play DVDs too but that's totally superseded now. I've not kept up with the HBC for years so I don't know what's out and about for it now. I find region locking so archaic and unnecessary in this day and age.