NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Tamazoid

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl

Ah missed there was a demo due to the stream messing up. Nice.

Thank you, @\-Dem0\-! From my point of view, the best thing from the Nintendo Direct.

Agreed.

Don't mention it, apart from Little Mac (I'm just a Smash addict) this was best bit of news in the whole ND.

I put about 4/5 hours into EOI but I decided to stop and wait for the 3DS remake. Thankfully it's not that far away!

I'm not kidding when I say I know Etrian Odyssey off by heart, so I'll be here for any advice that's needed. Unless they've completely changed it, of course! Seriously, I can imagine they've changed some of the skills and prerequisites. In the original game, for example, it wasn't advisable to take Anti-Fire (or -Ice, or -Volt) up to 10, because you would actually absorb status ailments. It was much better to just put 5 skill points in, which would completely nullify the attack.

Also, the Hexer and Samurai didn't really come into their own until Etrian Odyssey II, so I wonder if they've been modified to be as useful as in that game? The balance has been tweaked so many times over the series, I'm interested to see how they apply any adjustments to this game.

Right, I must, must, must finish Etrian Odyssey IV before this is released!

Definitely gonna try the demo at least. Really liked the Classic Game Room review of the original DS version, but when I tried it it kept me unconvinced - too tough and too archaic in visuals and gameplay. The 3DS version is much improved though, so I will give it a try once again I think.

Demo has 30 uses, looks like they learned from last time.

Anything carry over to the main game?

Anything carry over to the main game?

Full save carries over. Your level caps at 10.

Been playing the demo - absolutely brilliant! I'm playing Story Mode on Normal difficulty, because I've completed the original and I just want to play the remake as normally as possible.

I quite like the fact you get a set party with the five classes - including the two new ones - all chosen for you. I wonder if it's possible to defeat the post-game bosses with this team? I also wonder if you get to play about with the other classes once you've beaten the main game? You needed a Troubadour/Bard, for example, to defeat one of the dragons in the first game, and the team I beat the super-boss with included a Landsknecht and a Survivalist.

Skill points were thin on the ground in the original, so I was surprised to see the skill trees seem to be the same plus some new skills. Has the level cap been increased from 70 to 99? I wonder if it's still inadvisable to take the Protector's Anti-Fire/-Ice/-Volt skills past level 5?

Anyway, loving the game and the two new classes.

I started mine on expert, thought you would do the same tbh. :p Not too hard yet but I did die once in the new area when I only had the main character. Might change it to normal if things get too tough.

I'm wondering if the story mode has the same post game bosses or new ones, or if they are only available in classic mode. Don't really want to look it up at the moment, if they are in the story mode I'm sure you are capable of beating them.

I noticed it looks like you can change classes but the option was unavailable when I was checking out things. Not sure if it was just too early in the game or it's just not available in the demo.

I started mine on expert, thought you would do the same tbh. :p

Just feeling my way. :heh: The first two games didn't have difficulty settings (they were just hard/very hard) and EO IV had Easy and Normal, whereas this has Picnic, Normal and Expert. It's quite confusing as to how they relate to each other. Might try Classic and Expert when I've completed Story Mode.

Well, that was an awesome demo - probably the best one I've ever played. It felt so much like I was beginning the real game, I almost forgot it was a demo at all.

Didn't realise how different this remake was. The 2nd Floor, for example, is almost nothing like it was in the original. Grimoire Stones are another new addition, which seem to offer and aspect of sub-classing. Also, on closer inspection, the skill trees are much better. You're much less likely to waste your skill points. Let's say you put points into Shields, for example - you will learn Level 1 Smite just by doing that.

Seems like a fantastic update and I can't wait to play the full game.

"Finished" the demo this morning but was only level 8 so might play it to level 10. Plus just grind for money.

I noticed some skills automatically unlocked, but not everytime. I still have the "where shall I put my skill points" syndrome though. :p Not sure if you can change them later on in story mode.

The voice acting is pretty good so it's a nice addition, especially how characters can give hints at the start of the battle sometimes.

I noticed some skills automatically unlocked, but not everytime. I still have the "where shall I put my skill points" syndrome though. :p Not sure if you can change them later on in story mode.

The "Rest" option is there, but I assume it doesn't become available until you're Level 30.

The voice acting is pretty good so it's a nice addition, especially how characters can give hints at the start of the battle sometimes.

Yeah, things like "I think it's weak to fire."

Aw, thought I would be getting some early dungeon mapping done this week since Shopto shipped my copy yesterday but it didn't arrive today. Oh well.

Really can't wait for this now, especially the idea of playing with the new classes. I wonder if it's possible to play Story Mode then start a New Game + in Classic Mode (there's only one save file), but carry across unlocked classes. Probably is. I'd like to try going through it with certain classes, like the Hexcaster, from the beginning.

Regretting playing expert mode now stuck on B5F.

Can't beat Fenrir quick enough so that the other F.O.Es don't cause problems.

Edit: Never mind, just needed enough bombs.

Edited by Ike

Finished the 1st Stratum last night. Brilliant, isn't it? Didn't realise how many new enemies there were in the game.

I had to bump the difficulty down to standard, the 2nd Stratum and the ruins were proving too much. I was able to kill the F.O.Es and the boses easily afterwards so I felt a little overpowered.

I had to bump the difficulty down to standard, the 2nd Stratum and the ruins were proving too much. I was able to kill the F.O.Es and the boses easily afterwards so I felt a little overpowered.

Yeah, I'm finding Normal just the right level of difficulty. This game has been rebalanced very well - in the original, Floor 6 was a massive difficulty spike, but it's smooth in this game.

I just think this is an awesome remake. Floor Jump is unbelievably helpful, and certain bits have just become more epic, like the Wyvern's Nest - much bigger, and with the 3D character model of the Wyvern watching you.

This series has always been special, but it's getting better and better.

Oh yeah, floor jump. So good. ;)

Did the Dragon Egg mission yesterday, seemed different from the original to what I remember.

Oh yeah, floor jump. So good. ;)

Did the Dragon Egg mission yesterday, seemed different from the original to what I remember.

Yeah, definitely! The nest is much bigger now and the Wyvern actually fires breath at you. What I like about this remake is that they've managed to keep the feel of the original, even though every floor (apart from B1F) has a different layout. The music in particular is just beautiful.

My heart sank when I saw the worst Quest (spend five days on B8F) is still in it. However, it's been revised enough so it's no longer awful!

And... completed!

In case anyone was wondering how Story Mode compares to the original game...

In order to see the credits, you still have to traverse the 25 main floors. However, every 5 floors you have to visit a ruin called Gladsheim, the sections of which are numbered I-V. So: complete the first 5 floors, then do Area I. Complete the first 10 floors then do Area II etc. At the end of B25F, you fight the same end boss as the original game, then have to fight a brand new boss in Gladsheim Area V. After that you can warp to B30F and fight a very weak version of the Yggdrasil Core (formerly known as Primevil).

Doing all that will get you the end credits, after which the post-game becomes accessible, ie. complete Floors 26-30 properly and fight the real version of Yggdrasil Core. I believe level cap can now be raised from 70-99 once you've fought all three dragons.

So, a really great game! Might have some more thoughts on it another time, but it's certainly a worthy remake and right up there with Etrian Odyssey IV as (in my opinion) the two very best RPGs on the 3DS.

Quick question: Is it possible to start Classic Mode once you've started Story Mode?

Sign in to follow this