NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Sony, 720, and blu-ray?

This is something I've been pondering; and I'm hoping those a little more knowledgeable than myself might be able to help but;

Do sony make money from every blu-ray sold? Does Microsoft apparently having blu-ray in their next gen console not just hand Sony money with every sale of the console and the games as a result? Again, I'm not sure the feasibilities and what not, but I'm surprised Xbox didn't go for something more propriety(or even HD-DVD, if not too far out there?) for their disc system rather than blu-ray. Seems to be handing money to the competition in my eyes?

Unless of course, Sony don't make money on it. I'd say I'm fairly convinced that they do though.

l_17056565.jpg

Different divisions of companies work in different ways.

Also, on top of that, the Xbox is a media device as much as it is a games console. They can't not have blu-ray.

Technically yes, but it's usually factored into the costs of buying the blank discs and the disk drive. Don't know how it works for large scale buying that MS would be doing

Also it's not just Sony, but a whole host of electronic companies that get licensing fees from the technology.

Plus I would imagine it would go to a different division of Sony, not the gaming one, and thus it's not like blu-rays in the next Xbox would be helping their competitor.

It's like how Samsung can supply the iPhone screens, but the companies still fight in courts as its a different aspect of Samsung.

I really hadn't thought about it like that at all, now I feel rather silly for posting this thread. I think due to the things I read about Sony's financial situation, I see them as a whole entity riding on any/all money they get in.

Sony only co-developed the tech, they don't own it out right. It belongs to the BDA (Blu-Ray Disc Association) and they licence it out via one of their vendors - so even Sony have to pay for a Blu Ray license, it's just that they will get some of it back.

There is also another group that holds various patents and licences the tech - the Premier BD. Funnily enough, this group is made up of some of the people who supported HD-DVD in the beginning such as WB and Toshiba. They seem to be pushing for lower license fees than the other group.

Sign in to follow this