NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
knightendo

why no Doom??

There are alot of games that currently say xbox360/ps3 and sometimes PC, but thats becasue the developers know what the specs of those machines are, but not with the revolution. 3 good examples of this are brothers in arms 3 (gearbox software love the rev), project IM (look on ign), and call of duty 3(which, incidently, is being made by Infinity Ward who made the original pc version and call of duty 2 for xbox 360 and PC, the current-gen console call of duty's and the pc original's expansion pack were all made by not-as-good developers).

I dont think its time yet for developers to publicily announce if they are working on the revolution and what games are being made. It appears that Nintendo are keeping everyone quiet for a later date. Cmon, how many confirmed games and developers have been announced for the Rev. Hardly any. There are no pics, no footage, no properly confirmed specs. Wait until more system info is readily available. Also it seems like E3 2006 will be 'The Big Event' where everything will come out. Until then we have no clue whats goin to be on the console?

i havent read the rest of the thread. but in answer to the question:

"because doom sucks"

actually. that was a bit nasty. but there ARE a lot better games out there.

Whether a game is good or not, ANY third party support is good for Nintendo. 'I think the game sucks' is not really a valid reason anymore to dismiss third party support. Maybe you don't care, but other people (like fans of the genre/series) do.

the revo is a totally different kind of machine from everything else out there right now, plus there has been no full blown unveiling yet- not even the design we all know is final.

basically, not only is the prospect of a doom port hugely unlikely on technical levels, its probably more so on the creative asprect.

not only is the prospect of a doom port hugely unlikely on technical levels

Ehh, what?

I play Doom3 + Quake 4 on PC (same hardware) no problem.. I play Doom3 on Xbox, no problem.

Revolution is said to be about 3 times more powerful as a Gamecube, that means its about 2 times more powerful as the Xbox..

I see no "technical" issues for not making a port, it would more be "do we want to port a 1 year old game" for Revolution (IMO).

i have to say i disagree that it would be easier to port the >>controls<< over to the 360 and ps3, after all the game is designed to run with a mouse, and the revolution's controller is the console equivalent at the very least, so it should be easy enough from a control standpoint. but moreso than that, the extra opportunities that a fully 3d-space "mouse" and internal giros could bring to such a game would make it seem like a natural choice.

guess we'll just have to wait till e3 for all these non-disclosure agreements to come to an end... fingers crossed that is!

guys think about it. the mouse works in 2d, right and same with analogue aiming with a cross hair. the revolution works using a fully 3d, spatial system. yes it's ideal for fps control, but fps control designed for the revolution.

anyway, why so upset about no doom? its fucking shit.

guys think about it. the mouse works in 2d, right and same with analogue aiming with a cross hair. the revolution works using a fully 3d, spatial system. yes it's ideal for fps control, but fps control designed for the revolution.

anyway, why so upset about no doom? its fucking shit.

personal opinion aside (having only played the original when it first came out) it's a big title, and as such nintendo would benefit greatly from being able to attract a lot more multi-format games, especially BIG name games, to the revolution and tailored around the new controller.

For real people, why do you want the Rev to get the exact same games as the other 2? The whole point of the Rev is to start new franchises and genres.

Doom 4 would sell about 230 copies on the Rev cause Nintendo customers notoriously snub anything that isnt exclusive to their system. So what if Doom doesnt make it to the Rev. Theirs gonna be a TON of other FPS to pick from and theyll most likely be better designed for it.

You guys jump to conclusions far too easily. Think about what your saying first.....

The was no mention of REV in the announcement. That's all well in good, but come to think of it, who has announced a REV game except for the overly enthusiastic? Even Capcom hasn't said a word. Square, the company (out of the major Japanese companies) that has shown the MOST interest, has yet to announce any projects.

There have been very few announcements regarding the REV and games. You can take that for what it is, or you can look deeper and realize that something special is awaiting us at a convention. When companies finally show what they have been hiding for so long....

No Resident Evil for REV? Yeah f*ucking right. Just cause it hasn't been announced doesn't mean it doesn't exist. (Also, reggie and crew have dropped considerable clues regarding RE. If you don't know what I'm talking about, that's....too bad).

I believe that Nintendo purposefully told third parties to NOT announce any games, or at least not formally (but maybe through an interview, i.e., every single concrete third-party game announcement we have has been through an interview). Nintendo is planning some mega-shock convention that will host the unvieling of ALL games that are currently being worked on, in a collaborated effort with third-party companies, with most games playable.

Think about it... They don't want third-parties showing screens or footage before they do. That would essentially ruin there plans and make them look horrible in the lime-light. They want people to hold the controller in the hand and make a good impression on those that gamers trust most (whatever journalist that maybe). If third-parties were to show screens or footage, that would essentially....f*ck sh*t up.

Anyway, I'm done ranting...peace

Just to add to my previous post, the news i read about ID not seeming that interested was from Revolution Report.

I have quoted the question below, for the whole interview look here

id Software Not Yet Looking at Nintendo Revolution

by Shawn White (01/04/06)

In a recent interview with gaming site Kikizo, id Software's Co-owner and Technical Director John Carmack discussed his company's present and future projects. Carmack also noted Nintendo's next-generation console, code-named the Nintendo Revolution, and the limited knowledge he has on the system.

Kikizo: What are your thoughts on the next generation consoles, particularly Revolution -and what can we expect from id?

John Carmack: The Revolution is the console I am least familiar with, so I can't really comment. I really like developing on the 360 because of the exceptionally good development tools and clean hardware design, but all of our decisions at this point are based on providing great support for the 360, PS3, and PC platforms. We will also support Mac and Linux, but we haven't really looked at the Revolution.

Well he isnt slating the revolution at all, but he doesnt seem all that interested... Who knows?

For real people, why do you want the Rev to get the exact same games as the other 2? The whole point of the Rev is to start new franchises and genres.

Doom 4 would sell about 230 copies on the Rev cause Nintendo customers notoriously snub anything that isnt exclusive to their system. So what if Doom doesnt make it to the Rev. Theirs gonna be a TON of other FPS to pick from and theyll most likely be better designed for it.

i agree with Edjamakated about everything being up in the air, just to clarify that i do understand we're in a kind of limbo for the forseeable future, unfortunately... :(

pit-jr, ofcourse i don't want all our games to be the same, but let's face it if we're gonna rely solely on original content we're gonna be getting a fraction of what the other machines will be enjoying, and having suffered that with the cube i don't really want a repeat of that.

i don't think we snub everything that isn't exclusive for our machines, it's just that a lot of cube owners also own xbox's and ps2's and end up buying the games for them instead because they're used to buying more games for those machines and just leave the cube until another exclusive comes along. for the record i only own a cube and no other home console and find it frustrating the lack of cross-platform games we're getting.

imagine if the revolution got as much cross-platform support as possible, each game being tweaked to support the revolutionary new controller and being all the better for it. people may buy the rev's version over the others'... then add in the >>stack<< of much better exclusive titles from 1st, 2nd and 3rd party developers that are made for the revo from the ground up. can you see it? A MOUNTAIN of software and a huge presence for nintendo, catering for everyone!

I see your point, all im saying is, when i walk into wal-mart or wherever and look at the game library i dont want to see a bunch of watered down ports like i do with the GC. The Rev's sole strength is that its so much different than the competition and the software library should reflect that. I know im asking for the impossible but id love to see more brand new IP's than sequels. Sure the next Zelda, Resident Evil, Doom, and so forth are gonna be great and im being a total hypocrite by playing Dragon Quest 8 right now but hey its current-gen and thats what were being fed.

if doom 3 or 4 did come out on the revolution i whould never buy it, the game play is non existint and the latest versions are just to slow with bearly anything on screen, it's pretty much just a look at me im pretty game.

Doom 4 would sell about 230 copies on the Rev cause Nintendo customers notoriously snub anything that isnt exclusive to their system.

The reason behind this is probably "Why bother" the franschise won't stick.

Meaning sure we might get "Doom 4" and then thats it, when PS3/Xb360 gets Doom 4, Doom5, Doom6 etc etc...

Same happened on Gamecube.. We got Burnout, then Burnout2.. then nothing.. when Ps2/Xbox got Burnout 3, Burnout Revenge...

I REALLY hope this will change on Revolution...

i think the rev will be a better console without a Doom port. maybe an exclusive Doom but the last thing nintendo wants is a half hearted effort the ends up being crap and every1 saying the rev is crap.

Sign in to follow this