NEurope
mr_bogus

La-Mulana

Anyone tried this? It was un-cancelled and just been released on Wiiware, for 1000 points (apparently cheaper than in Japan).

First impressions are Rick Dangerous meets Metroidvania, and so far highly recommended :)

Edited by Retro_Link

I love the way that many people raved about this game coming out for so long and now that it's released, there's finally a thread for it and no one replies... apart from me of course. :heh:

Though I suppose loads of people could all be too busy playing it to post which would explain a lot, regardless though I did purchase it on Thursday and I have to say that even from what little I played... I'm really enjoying it and I can se myself going back to it really soon which is why I put my name down for the review. :)

I'll be going back to it properly tomorrow so I'll keep you all posted. : peace:

Like many VC games, I'm waiting for the Wii U arrival before buying this. It will save transferring it over and it will help getting that premium discount.

That's actually a valid point... I mainly decided to get it now with the intention of reviewing it for N-E but for other titles it may well be worth waiting, I hadn't considered that the discount would apply to the existing VC games and WiiWare titles.

Regardless of this, La Mulana is still worth the points though for anyone wanting to take the plunge. :)

Still haven't picked it up. Haven't had any free time all week!

That will be rectified come tomorrow, which will be La Mulana day for me! :D

Been curious about this for what must be years without actually reading up on it, it would seem. I thought it was just a 16-bit platformer, harking back to the Disney gaming hits of yore - yes, basically, I saw the Mulan part of the games title and one screenshot and drew my own conclusions. :p

Now its out and I've read a wee bit about it well... I know its designed after the "classic" Metro...i...d...:zzz:...

I played 2 hours' worth on the weekend and found it pretty difficult (jumping mechanic is weeeeeeird) and got completely lost.

Absolutely love the graphics & the music.

More will be played!!

So I finally got it! It's... weird! Best way I can describe it is like Metroidvania with Zelda style puzzles - though with almost no handholding at all!

I'm not too far into it (Still in the 2nd area of the ruins) but I'm really enjoying it so far. Jumping takes some getting used to, but I think I've got the hang of it now!

Combat is straight out of Castlevania (knockback and all!) and I can already see that there will be plenty of backtracking to do later on. Good stuff!

Music is absolutely ace as well!

There's a real sense of discovery when you figure out a puzzle, that kind of warm fuzzy feeling you get from solving the types of fiendish puzzles in Zelda. Great stuff! :D

Edit: OMG! The Holy Grail lives up to its name! :o Oh man, I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't find it...

Edited by Dcubed

Still had 700 points to my surprise:o Added some extra points thanks to unredeemed stars (the pincodes actually expire nowadays...who knew! (guess everybody knew:heh:))

Only played a bit, but I really love the 16-bittyness of it all. And the music is evil, I can not get that ruins theme out of my head!

Pretty early on in the first couple of screens, you find an item which I don't think has anything to do with the game

Death Village, Nigoro's first flash game...do I still need something for my laptop or am I missing something? Come to think of it...maybe they interwove this somehow

The Nigoro games you find do have beneficial effects later on. If you combine them with other games, you get various stat boosts.

Thought you could play the games inside the game, like you could play DK and Jetpac(?) in DK64:heh:

What a wonderful game this is!:hehe: Even when it took me until yesterday to figure out how to warp to other spots other than the Surface:blush:

Bless this place for bringing this game to my attention:smile:. Still ploughing through it but a sequel has been announced a while back. I wasn't sure where to put it as it's just PC, but here's hoping for an eShop release.

If Zelda WiiU could have La Mulana's puzzle difficulty, that would be bliss :heh: