N-Europe

How to make a printed portfolio (and get it out there)?

Eenuh

Hey guys!

I have finally decided I want to get off my bum and out off the job I am currently in! To do this though, I know I need to get a portfolio done and get it out there to some publishers.

My aim is mostly for illustration publishers, as I don't really seem to have the talent/experience for actual designer jobs that are going around. They all ask for x years of experience and knowledge in this and that, which I don't have. =P

So my aim is mostly to contact illustration publishers. Now I have noticed pretty much all of them seem to ask for a printed portfolio. I already contacted the ones that accept digital ones, but after about half a year I still haven't heard back from them so it's time to move to the next ones.

But then I realised I have absolutely no clue how to make a portfolio and what should go in it etc.

Do you use those plastic folders to put the images in? Or do you just send the images in a big envelope but not glued onto anything?

Do you print out the images yourself or do you get it done? Do you use fancy paper or not?

Do you print them on A4 or a different size?

Where do you get your prints printed?

How much would it cost?

How do you decide who to send it to?

How do you decide what to send out?

Soooooo many questions! And no answers!

I tried looking around for printer shops here but none of them seem to give quotes for this sort of thing, so I have no clue what it would cost.

I also have no clue if there is a standard or anything for printed portfolios and what they should look like and what should go in them. Do your details go in there too? If so, what details? Or do you put them in separately somehow?

Looooots of questions! Does anyone have any answers for me? I'd very much appreciate any help! =P

Well I don't have any actual experience or knowledge on this subject, so this is just what I think, so feel free to ignore it.

Do you use those plastic folders to put the images in? Or do you just send the images in a big envelope but not glued onto anything?

I'd probably say in some sort of plastic wallet. You want to keep everything together and make it easy for them to look through it.

Do you print out the images yourself or do you get it done? Do you use fancy paper or not?

You could print them out yourself, but as this is going to be the only representation of your talent, I'd say use some professional printing to get the best quality. Perhaps even use glossy paper to make it look more professional. You could try experimenting with different types of paper to see which suits your drawings best.

Do you print them on A4 or a different size?

I'd guess A4. It seems to be the standard format for most things.

Where do you get your prints printed?

Whereabouts do live? There should be a printing shop in the nearest town. Photograph shops and digital studios are the place to try. I know Kodak have a lot of shops around, but you will probably get better value from an independent. There's also internet services that will print and post them to you. Don't know any to recommend though.

How much would it cost?

Depends on the paper you use. Probably looking at around £2-3 per a4 sheet at a guess. Probably able to get a discount if you're having a lot printed out. As a comparison, Vistaprint will print an A3 poster for £3.49.

How do you decide who to send it to?

Do you mean which companies or which staff? For companies, any that you would send a CV out to (obviously it's more expensive than a CV). You could always send out a CV/speculative letter saying what job you are looking for and that you can send out a portfolio if necessary. That way you won't be wasting any. But I'd expect most letters to go unread/ignored. As for which staff, not sure there. Probably best to email HR and ask who the envelope should be addressed to.

How do you decide what to send out?

Whatever you think is your best work. The pieces that best illustrate your range of talents. Whatever you think will suit the job/company best (for example, you wouldn't send out the same work to a children's book illustrator as you would a comic book graphic artist).

Hopefully that's helpful, sorry I don't have any more experience.

As another comparison, this place http://www.alocalprinter.com/uk/posters/ will print A4 posters (probably not the service you want, but will act as a guide) start at an expensive £3.60 per sheet when you order 10, but reducing drastically as you order more (100 sheets for £44, so 44p per sheet). You may want to consider getting a presentation folder, but they only seem to be sold in bulk. For example, Vistaprint sell them at less than a pound, but you have to order 250 minimum (£202.49). Bulk is the key in the printing industry, but for smaller jobs, local businesses will suit better I'd imagine. They would probably be able to advise you as well.

Edited by MoogleViper

Well you've got a background/style that is reminiscent of children's books, so why don't you try and create something that is booklike rather than a plastic folder? It may be a bit more work (and more expensive) but I think it will present yourself better and make a better initial impression.

Not helping, just giving more options :heh:

Well you've got a background/style that is reminiscent of children's books, so why don't you try and create something that is booklike rather than a plastic folder? It may be a bit more work (and more expensive) but I think it will present yourself better and make a better initial impression.

Not helping, just giving more options :heh:

I was looking at Blurb, so I guess it's an option. It's just gonna be costly. =P

I'm also not sure what images to use at the moment. I always find it hard to figure out what is my "best" stuff, especially since some of it is quite old and I seem to have a lot of different styles/mediums. Hmmm...