N-Europe

Journey to the West

Ike

Anyone read this? Been meaning to read it for ages but I don't know which is the best version to get.

I saw this version recommended on a different (Dragonball, since the series was heavily influenced by Journey to the West) site, but the first volume is a massive 564 pages (which isn't really a problem) plus another 3 volumes :o

Might have preferred a digital version, there's one on Google Play for £0.01 which is somehow only 48 pages, not sure how they managed that.

Or this version which is also available on the Play store.

I think I'd rather have the most accurate version which seems to be the first book(s) but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on it yet. So the third book seems to be the best option unless anyone have any other recommendations?

Anyone read this? Been meaning to read it for ages but I don't know which is the best version to get.

I saw this version recommended on a different (Dragonball, since the series was heavily influenced by Journey to the West) site, but the first volume is a massive 564 pages (which isn't really a problem) plus another 3 volumes :o

Might have preferred a digital version, there's one on Google Play for £0.01 which is somehow only 48 pages, not sure how they managed that.

Or this version which is also available on the Play store.

I think I'd rather have the most accurate version which seems to be the first book(s) but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on it yet. So the third book seems to be the best option unless anyone have any other recommendations?

Can I be brutally honest? I've read it (it's one of China's "famous" novels) and it's really just not very good.

The first book takes a long time to get going, then it's reasonably fun, but by the end of the second book, you will notice it's the same old tale time after time and it's just boring. Similar situations repeat themselves throughout, but only the names are changed.

If you want to understand a few aspects of Chinese culture, and a lot of Buddhism, then by all means, give it a read. But it's a hard slog with little payoff.