NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

Strongly considering a PC upgrade. Is this spec ok?

I've tried to look for the DualView option, but I only get the options to extend or clone. I've done some research, and have no idea how to find it. :/

In that case I recommend using the program UltraMon to do the same thing. As with the nVidia control panel I recommend you restarting and having both monitors plugged into your PC before Windows boots, then run the program. I used this in the past when I was having issues with the nVidia control panel.

How many USB posts does this thing have altogether?

On a construction side, I know that static can fuck up the processor. When is the best time to put it in so as to minimalise static-fuck-up time?

I believe:

2 USB 3.0 on front (case)

2 USB 3.0 on back (motherboard)

2 USB 2.0 on back (motherboard)

Yup, the back ports are dependent on your mobo. I side note is any USB device can use any port, but for the best speed both device and port must be USB 3.0 (they're usually labelled with blue).

Please my brothers - the Processor issue, it's one of the most ass-raping-expensive pieces here.

XDyaX.jpg

You see the 2 Tricool fans at the bottom?

I must thank you for this image. I really thought you meant putting them one in front of the other. I was confused as fuck.

I need a new mouse too, so a new PC is a good time as any, suddenly the mouse I've got has been going through batteries like nobodies business. The mouse came as a Keyboard combo, but as followers of the forum know my keyboard fucked up some time ago so I've gone for a wired one now - works fine (no need to thank me keyboard, just clear the crap underneath the E key, that's all I need). I think I'll see about getting another rechargeable mouse again. I had a Logitech one before but somehow it stopped working.

OK, so everything is put together as it should be.

It turns on, the power lights come on, if I put a disc in it sounds like a computer should.

However, I'm not getting any video.

I am using the HDMI port from the graphics card. I've also tried the Mobo one - with the Graphics Card HDMI can tell that there is a 1080p/50hz, but can't from the mobo HDMI.

Any ideas?

Edit: I'll see if I can get hold of a standard monitor cable.

Edit: Well, that failed. I got one buy my TV doesn't have the connection.

Anyway, I've removed the graphics card. I'll install windows then the drivers and plug it back in (turning it off before doing so, of course).

Edited by Cube

I had the exact same issue and it was due to the graphics card not being seated properly in the bay. Try that. Also do you have a diagnoser LED light on your board? That way you can find out the exact problem.

Loose connections is often an issue, also check your RAM is seated down properly and check they're in the right slots for dual config. Processor is hard to fuck up since it has to be correctly aligned for the protector to even clasp down. My bet is the graphics card as it is a big thing that is easy to not slot in fully. Easy way to check this - remove the graphics card and connect directly to the onboard mobo HDMI. Does it boot?

There's sometimes more than one slot that the graphics card can go in too, Note that the disc drive shouldn't be needed to just see the BIOS boot screen. I also connect via HDMI so that shouldn't be an issue.

Also check all the power cords are connected up to everything, also check there is a keyboard and mouse hooked up (without a keyboard my PC doesn't even show anything). Check every component you can see and failing that, my best advice would be to go through everything again. Most of the time it fixes things! Good luck. :)

It got a signal without the graphics card. After installing Windows I shut it down and put it back in. It worked this time.

Also, Windows loaded up so fast on that boot that I thought something had gone wrong.

Just installing various stuff now.

Thanks again for all your help.

No problem, happy you guys are enjoying your systems. Brilliant!

Yeah The SSD makes mincemeat of bootup. Photoshop loads up within a second or so too! :)

Right back to square 1. Windows 8 just isn't compatible with enough games, so I've installed Windows 7.

And now I have the same problem. Except that it won't even work with Windows 7.

It works fine with the on-board graphics, but not the graphics card.

The only difference I can tell that may have some relation is how Windows 8 doesn't show any of the BIOS screens at all (I've never been able to access BIOS while the graphics card is installed.

Here are things that I've tried:

- Installing the AMD disk.

- Leaving Windows alone for a while to detect and install it automatically.

- Uninstalling the AMD software

- Leaving Windows alone for a while to detect and install it automatically.

- Changing "Init Display First" to PEG (for PCI Express)

- Disabling the internal graphics (then having to reset BIOS)

- Starting Windows 7 in safe mode.

- Disabling the "Full Screen LOGO"

- Changing the Internal Graphics to "Enabled" then using the motherboard port to load (still no signal).

I've searched for other solutions but I can't seem to find much. It's getting to a point where I may have to install Windows 8 again and not playing a lot of games until the support gets better (my main current game, The Old Republic, works).

From shut down times I can confirm that Windows is fully loading with the graphics card installed.

You mean the fan attached to the coolermaster heatsink? If so that's part of it, yeah keep it on. If you mean you got a free extra fan to put in your case I would still stick with the 2 Tricools.

Just took a picture for comparison:

SAM_0677.jpg

Quite a bulk I think you'd agree.

Actually this is the one for CPU, is this better than the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler you linked to? If so this could save monies.

But now it's payday! So need to purchase the remaining items.

It seems the case is outta stock on waeplus, so I've had to go with the same model on Ebuyer:

http://www.ebuyer.com/341398-three-hundred-two-tower-case-incl-usb3-0-connector-in-0-761345-15320-1

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Hopefully I can get this working tonight. Just before I managed to leave for work I managed to change the BIOS to load IGFX first, then insert the Graphics Card and boot up using the internal graphics. The AMD installation then detected the card and installed the drivers. I just need to go back into BIOS, turn the first display to the PCI-E and hopefully it should work.

Well, I booted up my PC once I got home. I checked again that the decive was in device manager. Then I moved the cable to the graphics card. Worked straight away.

Eevil, if you happen to bump into the same situation (hopefully you won't), I'll talk you though the method (which is actually one I came up myself after trying a ton of methods I found of forums and stuff) that eventually solved the issue for me.

fuuuuuu.jpg

I seem to have ordered the same power supply twice. I really don't know how!

One from Ebuyer and somehow I've ordered it from Amazon.

Ask to return if. If you haven't opened it they have to give you a full refund. I'd return the Amazon one as their returns system is amazingly simple to use.

You have 7 days from the day after receiving an item purchased through the internet to ask to return it (in an unused and unopened state) for any reason whatsoever - even "I don't want it any more".

Edited by Cube

Well, I booted up my PC once I got home. I checked again that the decive was in device manager. Then I moved the cable to the graphics card. Worked straight away.

Eevil, if you happen to bump into the same situation (hopefully you won't), I'll talk you though the method (which is actually one I came up myself after trying a ton of methods I found of forums and stuff) that eventually solved the issue for me.

Sorry I only just responded! Glad you got it to work though. :)

EEVIL that looks like one of the Tricool fans that I installed 2 of on the front of the case. I'm guessing you got that Tricool free? If so you only need to buy one more 120mm fan instead of 2 :).

And yeah Amazon returns are great. :)

EEVIL that looks like one of the Tricool fans that I installed 2 of on the front of the case. I'm guessing you got that Tricool free? If so you only need to buy one more 120mm fan instead of 2 :).

The free one is the Freezer 7 pro CPU fan, which comes with the motherboard and is much smaller than the Hyper 212 EVO (and the one you get with the processor is smaller still).

I fully intend to return it to Amazon, I just don't know how I managed to order it. I thought that since they're both Corsair I ordered it in place of the 8GB RAM, but I placed an order for that 2 hours before.

The big thing is the one I got for free, I have got two of the Tricool thingies. The pic was for comparison. But after looking at the CPU fan you recommended, they look kinda similar (from a newbie techie point of view), so would this work in the place of the Coolermaster Hyper or do you think it wouldn't be able to handle the power of the other parts? I have seen Artic Pro 13's, so maybe a 7 is too outdated.

It seems the case is outta stock on Waeplus, so I've had to go with the same model on Ebuyer:

http://www.ebuyer.com/341398-three-hundred-two-tower-case-incl-usb3-0-connector-in-0-761345-15320-1

Waddaya think? They seem to have the same specs, but want to double check as I don't fancy lugging that back to the post office if it turns out to be wrong.

Current roster.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard @ ebuyer.com for £80

Processor: Intel i5 3570K processor (Ivy Bridge) @ Amazon for £174

Processor Heatsink and Fan: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO @ Novatech (or Overclockers UK) for £30.

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile RAM @ Amazon UK for £43

Graphics card: Radeon 7850 HD (Sapphire Brand) ebuyer.com @ £179

Case: Antec Three Hundred Two WAE UK @ £46

Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK Builder Series 600W Power Supply @ ebuyer.com for £52 (not modular but a lot cheaper and still great)

Case Fans: 2 x Antec Tricool 120mm fans (what I have for the case, nice and quiet and keep things cool) for a total of £15 @ ebuyer.com

Solid State Drive (SSD): 60GB OCZ brand Agility 3 SSD (Read rate 525 MB/s, write 475 MB/s) for £54 @ ebuyer.com

Just the case and heatsink fan thingy.

Oh got it now

The big thing is the one I got for free, I have got two of the Tricool thingies. The pic was for comparison. But after looking at the CPU fan you recommended, they look kinda similar (from a newbie techie point of view), so would this work in the place of the Coolermaster Hyper or do you think it wouldn't be able to handle the power of the other parts? I have seen Artic Pro 13's, so maybe a 7 is too outdated.

Definitely buy the Hyper 212 Evo. It's 5-star reviewed on Newegg (700+ reviews_ and has won quite a few awards. It's the sequel model to the Hyper 212 plus, also 5-star reviewed (a huge 3,000 reviews averaged). Put simply they are some of the best for moderate rigs.

Serious cooling (often for high overclocking) usually involving water-cooling or insanely large and often obstructive fans like the crazy sized Noctua NH-D14:

noctua_nhd14_014.jpg

Mental size if you ask me and obviously a lot louder than the EVO.

The 212 EVO keeps your PC really cool and does so quietly, for £30 it's a steal. It has a massive heatsink too so the fan doesn't have to work as hard. And yeah the one that comes with the processor is a joke. :p

Waddaya think? They seem to have the same specs, but want to double check as I don't fancy lugging that back to the post office if it turns out to be wrong.

Current roster.

Just the case and heatsink fan thingy.

Yup that's the case I bought and I bought it from ebuyer too. I only suggested WAE as it was cheaper and cost was an issue.

Edited by Sheikah

The EVO is "awaiting stock" on Novatech (AKA they don't have any) but they have it on Overclockers for £27:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-035-CM

Plus had to get the case from Ebuyer since it was out of stock at OC as well.

Phew... I think that's everything. Now comes the harder part of finding which bits go where. I think I'll attach my medical bracelet to the radiator. Use it as a grounder so I won't give off any static.

@Sheikah, is this CPU heatsink thingy meant to replace the one which comes with the processor?

Yes, it replaces the one with the processor.

A few tips (from mistakes I made)

- Don't forget the screwhole extender things (the copper things) that go in the case where the motherboard holes are (there are four already in).

- Put the back plate of the CPU fan on before you screw in the motherboard.

- There is a four-pin power connector on the motherboard (in addition to the massive one). On the PSU there is an 8-pin one which can come apart to two four-pin ones - one of these (evident from the shape of the pins) goes in the four-pin one on the motherboard.

Sign in to follow this