N-Europe

Looking for a new HDTV

CoolFunkMan

I've decided it's time for me to replace my old TV, and upgrade to a newer model. After some recommendations, I've decided I may go for the PANASONIC TX-P42G30B. However, I've read a few reviews, and there's some issues that have me slighly worried (such as poor sound quality and automatic greyscale adjustment in dark scenes.)

Are these issues minor enough to warrant buying that TV, or should I go with something else?

My budget is around £400-£600, and I'm looking for a 42" TV that's good for both gaming and blu-ray films (I've heard that Sony or Panasonic are the best brands.) 3D really doesn't bother me, as I find it a silly gimmick.

Thanks if anyone can help. :)

I have that TV and I'm very pleased with it. I've not noticed any problems with dark scenes, however the audio isn't great though the in-built speakers (but the same is true for the vast majority of TVs).

Actually, there are four different kind of "LED" (LED is LCD with a different kind of back lighting).

The most common ones (and the ones you'll find in the cheaper sets) don't look better than similar level (but cheaper) LCD sets, and can have additional problems (such as a lighter edge to the centre).

They just market them as being much better so everyone can charge more from them.

Go for LED over LCD or Plasma is best advice I can give :D

Errr.

If you're buying Panasonic make absolutely sure its a Neo Plasma panel. I have the G20, and I you cannot fault the blacks, they're incredible - the 2012 range, I believe is even better in this regard.

I would always recommend plasma over LCD - not just because of the deep blacks but the refresh rate. Incidently, if people are looking at 3DTV, again go for plasma.

I think you're onto a winner with this panel.

Thanks for the help everyone. I've decided to stick with my original choice, I just wanted to be sure I was making the right decision. I'll probably go out and get it tomorrow (I've heard M&S are doing a sale price on it, for £450 apparently.) Thanks again though folks! :)