NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Shadow of the Colossus

shadowofthecolossus052312coverjpg-8cdb04.jpg

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/23/chronicle-director-to-make-shadow-of-the-colossus-movie

Chronicle Director to Make Shadow of The Colossus Movie

Josh Trank to helm game-to-film for Sony.

We knew Chronicle director Josh Trank was a big gamer from our recent interview with him, but now he's going to channel that passion for gaming into bringing Shadow of the Colossus to the big screen!

According to Deadline, Sony has signed the hot up-and-coming filmmaker to direct the movie and is out to writers to script the VFX-heavy film version of the popular game. Kevin Misher (Public Enemies, The Scorpion King) will produce.

Trank is also attached to the comic book movies Venom, Red Star and Fantastic Four Reborn.

Hope this game-to-film actually makes it because visually it could look incredible!

Horse riding across Lord of the Rings esque landscapes, with these incredibly detailed giants and fantastic camerawork as the horse rides under a colossus, or a colossus goes overhead.

I wonder if they can stick to the style of the game, and have 90% of the film of just the main character (I can't remember his name, if he was even giving one) and the horse (I see them putting a bigger focus on the friendship between them) travelling a lovely landscape and battling the Colossi. They need to focus on the emotion - these aren't evil things, the main character should be extremely upset by what he's doing, although less so throughout the course of the film to show his "corruption". This main section of the film should have no spoken dialogue whatsoever. The start of the film need it to explain that he needs to kill these thins to save the girl, as well as the confrontation at the end, but the majority of it should have no dialogue.

However, I fully expect them to change it completely. The Colossi will be turned into a big threat (rather than creatures minding their own business) and some of the main battles against them will have a massive army, there will also be some new major characters and the main character will simply be a generic hero who saves the day and gets the girl (who is not in a dead/near-dead condition and in need of saving).

So, this really is happening, huh?

I won't jump to conclusions yet, but I do fear the things in Cube's second paragraph. The fact that it's being directed by a fan of the game is somewhat reassuring, at least.

I can see how it would work as a film, although naturally it would need to take a slightly different approach than the game. Namely I think they'd need to intersperse flashbacks to the events before Wander (the guy) headed into the Forbidden Land; what happened to Mono, who was she to him, etc. The game didn't really need to go into the specifics of the human drama, but I'm not sure the sensation of adventure and isolation can carry a film in the same way.

Another obvious concession is the need to prune back the number of colossi shown, at least in detail. Tonally I think they could keep true to the original, though: retain the sparse use of made up language, make use of the amazing soundtrack, etc.

Of course the fear is that it'll be much easier to get wrong than right, especially as the effects will require a decent budget; the more money that's in play the 'safer' something has to be.

Sign in to follow this