N-Europe

How much work do you do at work?

Charlie

I tend to spend 10 and a half hours a day (I do 12 hour shifts 6-6) writing emails, this varies between 60 to 120-140 emails.

I also deal with other stuff like major errors people have found (live stuff), helping others (I've recently been asked to do more senior stuff temporarily) etc.

So realistically I spend an awful lot of my time working because if I don't, well someone can certainly check, I would say my job is relatively easy, but it doesn't give much time to do anything else, not that I would want it too.

Approaching this from a different angle, I often wish businesses (particularly retail) would go back to the "Are You Being Served?" model of always having their departments staffed.

I've no doubt some people get bored at work, but I think having too much to do is worse. I look around and see so many failed or failing companies, and I can almost guarantee each one has become greedy and taken the focus off providing good service. Businesses are so scared of having staff with nothing to do that they go to the other extreme; namely, they don't employ enough staff and have them all stretched too thin.

Shareholders and executives may want to make more and more profit, trying to make businesses more "efficient", but what they don't seem to care about is that if you cut a business down too much, the customers think "This is rubbish" and abandon you in droves. Loyalty is not easy (or even possible) to win back.