N-Europe

Wanting xbox/ps3 to see my computer's shares?

Rummy

Hello all! So, I have a PC running Windows 7 64-bit, I have a folder full of video files shared, I have a 360 and also now a ps3(I know little about this except it likes to be quite hot). I have my PC wired into my router, I have my 360 wired in, I sometimes swap the wire to the ps3/if it doesn't connect wirelessly. On my PC I have Comodo Antivirus/IS, my computer is leased the same local IP every time by the router and that IP is in the DMZ, it seems.

So my problem? Neither my 360 nor PS3(again, dont know much, i just search for media servers) don't seem to see my PC. It's on, and in its own network it sees itself and the shared folders. When I turn the 360 on it sees that too!(no idea about the ps3 didn't check)

So why won't anything see my PC and its shares? I've only shared via right clicking a folder and opting to share, and what I find rather interesting, my computer doesn't seem to think it's connected to a network. It internets fine without any worries, but it's pretty sure it isn't connected to any networks under the active networks in control panel etc/hopethismakessense.

Essentially; wtf mayte?! What's going on! If anyone lovely and helpful knows, that is.

EDIT: Just to clarify, it seems the root/biggest sticking point of my problems is the fact it can't see the network. Everything I find to help me share my media with other stuff eventually seems to come round to something that resultantly doesn't work because the computer doesn't think it's on the network.

Edited by Rummy

I think I may have semi found the culprit, but I have no idea how to handle such a beast.

network.png

What's all this IPv6 about eh! I've known it's been around for years, but learnt to just ignore it. Apparently it's related to win 7 networking though, and so this could be what's stopping it? No idea what to do to fix it though, anybody good with networking?

(i tried uninstalling my network adapter and restarting before the above pic, it just re-installed and the problem remained)

No, it's not IPv6 that's the problem. Your on IPv4 which is fine.

Is media sharing enabled? If you open Windows Media Player go to your library and find "Steam" menu near the top, one of those options should let you enable it. I think it's in "more streaming options".

Once enabled click the stream menu again and check "automatically allow devices to connect" (probably want to change this once it's working).

If it still can't find it you can try disabling your firewall for a bit.

One Vista once I'm on the internet a bubble pops up and ask me if I want to allow it to connect.

Thanks for the replies. My network tray icon still says No Network Connections are available, but I'm definitely on the internet. Also as I said yesterday when I turned the 360 on the computer knew it was there. I've tried disabling and exiting the firewall, seems to make no difference.

@Ike, in media player my two options are 'Allow internet access to home media...'(which I don't want) and 'Turn on media streaming with HomeGroup'. If I click the later, it takes me to HomeGroup, but comes back to telling me it's not available because I'm not connected to the home network. I don't understand how I can't be if I'm wired into the router and on the internet!

homegroup.png

Admittedly none of my other devices are turned on at the moment, but that shouldn't matter, should it? In my advanced sharing options pretty much everything is turned on, if I go into media sharing options though I come back to the same sticking point...no network! I've gotta go work in a sec(ok, half hour ago, but shh) I have a cheap unused router somewhere that I might dig out and see if it still happens. Could it be my router?

Edited by Rummy

If you open Network and Sharing Center under "view your active networks" change the network with internet access to home network if it isn't already.

network.png

(Click where it says Work Network).

homegroup.png

On this screen click change advanced options, drop down home/work turn on network discovery and turn on file sharing if it's off and if you can.

Kinda hard to debug at work and I use Vista at home :laughing:

If you open Network and Sharing Center under "view your active networks" change the network with internet access to home network if it isn't already.

network.png

(Click where it says Work Network).

On this screen click change advanced options, drop down home/work turn on network discovery and turn on file sharing if it's off and if you can.

Kinda hard to debug at work and I use Vista at home :laughing:

Your help is very much appreciated, however, again it hits a sticking point. My network and sharing centre lists no active networks, so I can't change it! :(

nonetwork.png

What confuses me the most about all of this, is the fact I'm still managing to be on the internet despite apparently having no networks! Anyway seriously off to work now, gonna try that other router if I can find it later.

Try the other router, I think it's put on a public network which is why it still lets you connect to the internet.

That what it sounds like to me too... if you've set up your connection as a public network that would explain why it can get online but not use any sharing options

Open your network and sharing center, under the graphic of your network (PC - router - internet)

Does it show the name of your network (possibly with "public" in brackets) and across from it to the right does it say "Customise"

Like where number 2 is marked in the attached pic

Click customise and change the setting from Public to Private

If that is the issue you should then be able to turn on the various sharing and discovery options.... if that helps and yoru still stuck or if you were on private all along post again

nonetwork.png

Hoping the above image shows(can't see them at work, juggling between laptop and phone lol). As you can hopefully see, I don't have any network listed there! Are you on Vista or 7, @Mokong X\-C? Also totally still at work so can't try anything yet, though I did rather absent mindedly type my router ip into the address bar and find myself quite confused for a few when it didn't work here! Iirc, I did take it out of the DMZ at some point. This public/private thing sounds interesting though, never heard of it before. Shall investigate once I get home!

Edited by Rummy

Your image isn't showing for me either, don't know why.... but I pulled the url out of my email noticfication.

K, that does look VERY odd... it doesn't even show a network map and from the looks of that you shouldn't even be online :heh:

EDIT:

Not sure how you are able to get online but you are being told your not on a network.

When you get home, go to the Network & Sharing Centre and click on "Change Adapter Settings" and see what connections are available to you... does your "Local Area Connection" display as connected or unplugged?

Have you tried setting up a new connection altogether?

Edited by Mokong
Automerged Doublepost

Your image isn't showing for me either, don't know why.... but I pulled the url out of my email noticfication.

K, that does look VERY odd... it doesn't even show a network map and from the looks of that you shouldn't even be online :heh:

EDIT:

Not sure how you are able to get online but you are being told your not on a network.

When you get home, go to the Network & Sharing Centre and click on "Change Adapter Settings" and see what connections are available to you... does your "Local Area Connection" display as connected or unplugged?

Have you tried setting up a new connection altogether?

Hi, again, really appreciate the input from you guys. This issue has become more of a perplexion than a problem, given the fact I'm online yet apparently not connected to anything!

My adapter just says it's enabled? No mention of connected/not. Status is as shown in one of the posts above where it says internet on IPv4 and no network access on IPv6.

How do you mean for me to set up a new connection? Trying to setup a new connection from my network and sharing gives me a few options, connect to the internet(you are already connected to the internet), connect to a workplace, set-up a dial up, and the one I've tried 'Set up a new network' - configure a new router or access point; upon clicking this it doesn't pick up any devices.

newconnect.png

I unfortunately have to pop out again soon, but I'm going to put my long wire into my modem, bring the router up here and try both separately with another wire. Keep you guys posted!

(will do the above this evening or tomorrow)

On t'other router; some minimal progress. Again, I'm on tinternets, but now it shows;

newrouter.png

Basically, I can gather I'm on a public network as some have quite aptly said(thanks @Mokong X\-C), the question now is...how do I change it to private?! First step to the next stage methinks.

(also clearly still on internet, new router still)

(arrrgh, now my fucking sound's gone dead! going to system restore to a week ago and hope for the best)

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

ARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHH, going absolutely crazy over this fucking piece of shit. I've tried my other router, I've just uninstalled my antivirus/firewall software and am running Windows 7's own, and STILL my connecting is apparently public with absolutely no fucking way to change it to private. All the information I seem to find on it isn't helpful for my situation either, how is such an issue just completely unknown?!

EDIT:Computer doesn't see my xbox or anything else anymore either. I've gotten a possible solution, but it's all foreign to me;

I found a solution for (my version of) this problem. My tray icon never showed the red X, but if I clicked on the icon, the popup showed a bigger icon with a red X, and said "Not connected". As in your case, Internet worked, but I'm unable to setup a VPN connection because it insists on using a non-existent modem, obviously because I'm "not connected" (which I am).

I monitored the processes running the NlaSvc and Netprofm services (using ProcMon), and noticed that both were denied read/write access to subkeys within the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList hierarchy.

The processes were running as NetworkService and LocalService, respectively, so I tried adding full access for these service accounts to the entire subkey mentioned above. Notice that permissions are not automatically inherited in the registry, so you may need to explicitly "replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object".

Within seconds, Network and Sharing Center tells me I'm connected to my domain. Yay!

A reboot was required to fix the tray icon and its popup.

However, I'm still unable to add my VPN connection.

I'm interested in hearing from you guys if your registries miss the same permissions? If so, Windows 7 must have a bug somewhere with misaligned service permissions/rights.

Taken from ; http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/df17c593-e78f-4878-97b0-7569307934c5

Edited by Rummy

OK going by what you posted in the spoiler tag (which I assume is what some else found and you are just reposting it) I went to the mentioned subkey (...NetworkList) in my registry and checked what had permissions for it and I have permission options for "Admins" and "netprofm" which is one of the two services mention in what you copied... the "Nlasvc" isn't listed as having any permissions on that subkey on mine... but I am on Vista that could be (or maybe not) a difference between Vista and 7.

Anyway the "netprofm" service on mine is listed as having "read" allowed.

Check to see if yours is the same.

Note: Try to follow these instructions exactly and don't go poking around/changing anything else in the registry less you seriously frak something up.

Click "Start" and type "regedit" to open the Registry Editor then navigate as follows

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList

Right Click on the "NetworkList" folder and select "Permissions" and see what you have in there.

As I said I only have two things listed, "Administrator" which has Full Controll and Read permissions allowed and "netprofm" which has "read" permissions allowed... it also has "special" permissions allowed but this is greyed out and can't be altered on mine.... be sure to take note of what the permissions were BEFORE you change anything though.

See if yours is the same, if not try changing the permissions to match mine, click ok and see if anything changes (might need to reboot)

If nothing changes, just to be safe go back to the regedit and reverse the changes you made to what they were before.

Thanks, after reading round a bit more I found the same solution translated later on, and have finally fixed it(breaking a few things on the way)! Gave permissions to all users except OWNER CREATOR and had to go into advanced and ensure child thingies had it too. I hadn't restarted though, I fell asleep and someone tripped the power breaker, so I didn't know if it worked til I came home last night(drunk) and I think I was in safe mode? Lost my Aero look too, so I tried a system restore, however I restored to before I uninstalled Comodo, and then it wouldn't go back, and all sorts of annoying madness.

Looks to be sorted now though(at least, I'm on a home network, haven't tried the sharing yet). Hopefully. Whenever I get a new hard drive I'll probably fresh install 7 again anyway. Quite an annoying problem/fix, and alot of the information out there isn't always applicable(due to different versions of 7). Probably got more bothered about the unsolvability than the actual issue itself!

Many thanks to you all for helping out :)

Ah cool so you are at least being told and shown that you are indeed on a network now? Cool.

Let us know if the sharing is successful when you try it.

One thing I would reccomend though....

I hadn't restarted though, I fell asleep and someone tripped the power breaker, so I didn't know if it worked til I came home last night(drunk) and I think I was in safe mode? Lost my Aero look too, so I tried a system restore, however I restored to before I uninstalled Comodo, and then it wouldn't go back, and all sorts of annoying madness.

If ever you think your comp running a bit slow or think your memory is being eaten, try turning off the Aero... it feeds on your memory :heh: