N-Europe

Low download speed

nightwolf

Hey guys,

Getting a bit frustrated, so I was wondering if anyone could offer a bit of advice.

EDIT: apparently sky is having issues, so I'm going to double check...hmm. Apparently we're not affected, but it certainly looks that way, I'll keep an eye out.

If anybody hears the Cambridge area getting fixed with Sky or has any issues with Sky atm, let me know, I'm getting really peeved off.

Edited by nightwolf

What's your result on http://www.speedtest.net/ compared to what it should be?

If it's low, and nothing's changed with your setup, give them a call.

I'm unfortunately, not the account owner, my landlord is, so I don't know how much help they'll be.

This is what I'm currently getting:

1812654062.png

58223519.png

(the ping about an hour ago: 58216769.png

Apparently it seems there's a few areas affected, but there's a lot more people outside of those areas affected too. My old colleague at Spotify lives down the road and is going to do a speedtest later and give Sky a ring, so I'm going to see how it goes, but I'm a bit stuck..

So, you're getting a bit better than 2MB speeds and an okay ping. What package are you meant to be getting, and how many people share the internet?

I imagine Sky has traffic shaping, so if you do a lot of downloading, you'll get your speeds greatly reduced for a while.

So, you're getting a bit better than 2MB speeds and an okay ping. What package are you meant to be getting, and how many people share the internet?

I imagine Sky has traffic shaping, so if you do a lot of downloading, you'll get your speeds greatly reduced for a while.

I barely download anything and as far as I'm aware neither do my housemates (given 5 out 7 days a week the other two aren't here.) There's currently three of us, I think I use the internet the most.

We're currently on the Sky broadband unlimited, which isn't great, but we usually get at least double 2.45 on any regular day, baring in mind that usually I only touch the internet in the evenings.

It's fine for using the internet, that's a-ok, which is grand, but downloads, streaming and p2p (Spotify) are being affected pretty badly, usually I don't have any issues. I don't expect super fast, but decent would be nice. :heh:

My friend in the next town over is having similar problems, I've asked if they can do a speedtest when they get in (he's an IT techie?) just to check as he mentioned he's getting a similar issue.

It just seems a very strange coincidence that I notice my internet get really slow when they've started mentioning these exchanges, but without being the account holder, I can't be 100% sure.

*shrug*

I was worried then that I was over-reacting..'2.45 is low man?!'

Yeah so it's still the same, I'm not particularly bothered so much, it'll just take me longer to download Tera. I've had a look at online gaming, it does mean my game drops from time to time, but nothing more.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how it goes, but for now I'm stuck with a pretty bad connection (given my landlord is giving Sky about 150quid a month for everything.) sly dogs!