N-Europe

Budapest - Anyone been?

Retro_Link

In a similar thread to Nightwolfs...

I'm thinking about maybe going to Budapest later on in the year and was just wondering if anyone here had been and could perhaps give any insight into...

- Hotels they stayed at

- Best/Worst areas of the city to stay in

- Things they did etc...

Thanks to anyone who has any info!

I was thinking I'd rent a car over there, but I'm not so sure now looking at what the website says about prices and other drivers etc... Hmm... not having a car could complicate things somewhat!

I went to Budapest with a friend a few years ago in November for just under a week and had a wonderful time. We took the Eurolines coach (since it was free for me, tiring but saved some cash)

Since we went out of Season, we were able to stay in a 4 star hotel, not far from Elizabeth Tower for a total of £145 for us both (breakfast included) it was outside the city centre, which meant a bus ride daily, but it was all part of the experience.

Things you should def do:

The Terror House

Elizabeth Tower

Opera House

Public bathhouses

the parliment building tour

Wow sounds like you managed to do it at a good price @Gentleben.

Chances are I'd be renting a car and staying more city centre orientated, but hopefully I can find a good price on a hotel.

What's it like in terms of people speaking English in Hungary? Is there anything/situations that I'd need to prepare for?

Went there last summer for a few days before going on to Bratislava and Vienna. We arranged things incredibly last minutes so knew literally no Hungarian - wasn't a problem in the slightest, feeling guilty aside. Everyone there speaks enough. We stayed in a random Hostel which was nice but I assume you're going for a hotel.

A few random recommendations: Margret Island is an Island toward the north of the city which is nice to spend a day on. The baths are definately worth a visit, there are a few to chose from..

Szechenyi-Bath.amanderson2.jpg

Natural thermal heating and that. The trams are really good for getting around the city, though everything is pretty walkable. And the food is really good, fairly reasonably priced restaurants all over the place.

We actually didn't find any but there are these things called 'ruin bars' or something which are basically hidden pubs, quick google describes them as 'ad hoc watering holes and clubs that spring up while condemned buildings wait to be razed -- straddle the lines between dancehall, pub, rock, folk, roma, disco, rave...in an unending and impossible to pin down moveable feast.'.

If you're there for a while and you say you're renting a car I'd recommend having a day or two in Vienna, seeing as it's so close. Great city, lots to do. Not sure I can say the same about Bratislava, though it has it's charms.

Wow sounds like you managed to do it at a good price @Gentleben.

Chances are I'd be renting a car and staying more city centre orientated, but hopefully I can find a good price on a hotel.

What's it like in terms of people speaking English in Hungary? Is there anything/situations that I'd need to prepare for?

After posting my message, I tried to locate the hotel we stayed in (it was booked via Octopus travel (http://www.octopustravel.co.uk) but can't see it online anymore.

I would advise to ditch the car and just use the public transport (you can get either a 3, 7 or 14 day type ticket) and pick up a good guide book. I would normally recommend Lonely planet, but I used Frommers Day by Day for this holiday.