NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

Can anyone recommend a DVD recorder?

It's my Nan and Grandad's 50th wedding anniversary soon, and one of the presents they said they'd like would be a DVD recorder. What's the best value DVD recorder that I could buy? They wouldn't need freeview, as they have Sky, but a HDMI port would be a plus, as they have a HDTV.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Is there any particular reason they want a DVD recorder? I mean, are they planning on having everything neatly organised on the shelves in cases etc?

If not, DVD recorders are a bit last-generation - and still pretty expensive. They'd be better off with something which just records to a hard drive, maybe even upgrading to Sky+.

Cheap (<£200) DVD/HDD recorders are also usually not very user-friendly.

Edit: Recommended a Freeview HDD when I shouldn't have.

Edited by Mr_Odwin

Edit: Recommended a Freeview HDD when I shouldn't have.

Brilliant :laughing:

I'm sort of with Shorty's train of thought here, though given actual products I'm pretty much at a loss. I've got a toshiba 3 in 1 dealie, but I rarely use it.

The problem is, my family and I have no idea what to get them and they've asked for this, so it's the easiest option. I have no idea why they specifically asked for one either.

Just buy them a HDD recorder and tell them it has a re-usable, non-removable DVD inside :p

The Sky+ features are free these days, right?

Have you looked into getting them a Sky+ box?

They have the highest Virgin Media package, so have similar features to Sky+. I'm honestly not sure why they do want one tbh.

They have the highest Virgin Media package, so have similar features to Sky+. I'm honestly not sure why they do want one tbh.

Probably the same reason my Grandparents got one: they have loads of stuff saved that they want to keep, and are running out of space.

Probably the same reason my Grandparents got one: they have loads of stuff saved that they want to keep, and are running out of space.

In that case, why not just get a 2 or possibly even 3TB HDD, copy over the files, and install the new one in the box?

Sign in to follow this