NEurope
Dan_Dare

Psychics

There's essentially no way you could correctly work out that probability, as you'd have to define a set of potentially "useable" names, which is somewhat problematic for something trying to debunk a psychic. But of course the probability would be very small.

Plus it was also nice of them to change the spelling to fit their purpose.

I hate how they steal words from things like physics to make themselves seem knowledgeable/authentic. Words like energy. Energy is used to describe physical things, we don't need you telling us there is a mystical form of it somewhere with no proof. Blinding with science is annoying to see. I also saw a guy on tv going on about quantum mechanics, and saying something mystical while using it to make himself sound informed or insightful. When someone (Richard Dawkins) asked him what he was doing mentioning quantum mechanics in such a context, he said that physics likes to think it owns such words and that in fact he did not mean the physical theory at all. Dawkins responded with "Oh that's your word is it? They stole it?" which I thought was funny.

Curiousity; How do you feel about religion?

I have similar feelings. Religion is more dangerous however because its taken seriously by more people, and laws end up being based on it. Again, its not the government's place to ban it, but mentally health adults should know better than to believe in it.

Enter James Randi, mentioned in the article I posted. This video features the footage of the 'faith healer' scumbag he discredited in the mid eighties. Really worth watching for the people who are saying this is all a bit of harmless fun because Peter Popoff made millions off the people he scammed and they weren't grieving housewives after a bit of consolation, they were people with severe cancer in need of medical help who he convinced he had healed and did no longer require medicine. That's...it's just appalling, really. Utterly evil.

Government should not be responsible for making sure people don't make stupid decisions. That said, if he was actually telling the people that they WOULD be cured by paying him, then he's guilty of false advertising.

I don't for one second believe in any of the bullshit these psychics spout. However, I would love to sit down with one and see what non-sense they come up with. And see how much information I could give away without realising it.

The only experience I have with the topic personally is second hand. My mum (and aunt) went to visit one just cause/they were somewhere and seemed like fun, when I was about 3-4 or something. My mum consciously went in without her wedding ring on, all like "Alright bitch, let's see what you come up with."

The woman told her I had gromits in my ears (which I did, and my mum was like "How'd she know that...?"), and that one had fallen out. My mum said "Eh, no. Anyway". Then the woman said the image of a car parked under a street light was prominent. My dad always parked under the same streetlamp, but obviously thats not very specific. Then she informed my mum the lost car key was under a cushion on the sofa. She didn't think the key had been lost, but when she got home my dad had lost it and it was under the cushion.

The psychic said I'd "be at the bar" referring to law, but that has never happened or been an interest of mine really.

She told my aunt that she "saw red dust all around her", and my aunt had in fact just come back from Africa, and as a person is very ingrained in Africa (her son is half Afrikaans/South African). When I talked to my aunt about what else they talked about, she just went a bit quiet and said she was really accurate about relationships in her life or something.

So assuming my mum/aunt aren't lying, I wonder/am intrigued. Maybe knowing about that experience all my life never made me as disgusted by the sortof....less preachy psychics. The ones like that Popoff guy are sick, but this woman just had her little business in Edinburgh, minding her own. I dunno what to think. Doesn't make me BELIEVE in her POWERS, but I'm left clueless.

I have to put my tuppence in here:

Both my grandmother, mother, great grandfather and uncle all knew the date and specifics of their own deaths.

My grandmother knew that she would die early September, from something unknown - she had an undiagnosed micro tumor pressing on part of her brain, and she knew my uncle would be the last person to see her. It happened, bitches.

My mother - and I find it hard to type this - told everyone she would die alone, and before her 33rd birthday. She did.

Great grandfather begged us not to put him in a home as he had spoken numerous times of his firm belief that he wouldn't see out a week there. Six days after he moved in, he passed away in his sleep.

My uncle, died at 12, of a heart attack. He always told my father that his greatest hope was to one day be a teenager - they all laughed, but he said it would never happen as he couldn't see past the July of that year. He died on July 31st.

And yours truly, is absolutely convinced that he doesn't see 42. It'll be cancer.

Anyway, moving on.

These TV psychics are all pretty much BS-artists, cold reading, being fed information, audience plants... but people need it sometime. Because if religion fails us, and there is nothing after death. Then that's terrifying, isn't it?

Nevertheless, there are genuinely people who are in contact not simply with the deceased, but with the world as a whole on a different plane. There are these people who seem to float in and out of reality, they have partial contact, but only see glimpses of this place.

It's like they're laying across leylines (boo!), one toe in the water. They're conduits for this information, but also not exactly ideal for communicating as they are barely lucid, with flashes of madness. It's the difference between riding a moped and rocking a Harley... sometimes the shit needs to get through, and there's no other way.

The real psychics, the ones who can, never really do.

Speaking as a Shaman, I've not spoke to my animal guides in a fair while. Perhaps I should, I felt a lot better when I did.

Not much sense there - broken finger and early morning, yo.