N-Europe

Can i trust the Norton firewall?

Pancake

I just got a paid version of Norton 360 for my new computer, and just realised it has a built in firewall. Strangely, they hardly mention the firewall in their speil, and i actually had to google it to confirm there is a firewall in there. Makes me wonder if the firewall is up to standard.

I know installing two firewalls is bad, so i can't do that. I guess i'll just have to trust the Norton one.

Just wondering if any Norton 360 owners have had this issue?

I suspect you're chances of finding a Norton 360 owner here are... slim ;) Most people probably just use Windows Firewall which is built in to Windows 7 and Vista. However, I'm sure it does the trick. All it's there to do is stop unwanted traffic, which if it's set up right isn't a difficult task.

Knowing Norton, they will want another £50 for that firewall in 12 months, or you're only using a "limited trial" version right now without knowing it. It's also pretty widely considered bloatware (slows down your system) so if it causes you any problems, I would say take it off and let Windows do it for you.

Norton....................

Destroy it, immediatly. Norton is a plague for all computers. I did use Norton in the past, but as soon as i learned more about computers, i ridded myself of it and purchased Kaspersky. Had no issues with it.

Except Norton, that was a nightmare. It let in too much, used too many resources and was a pain in the back-side to get rid of it.

I made the decision a few years ago to completely rid my system of any firewall (other than the Windows one) and anti-virus protection because they just tend to slow down the computer a lot. Never once got a virus since doing that years ago. As long as you're sensible about what you're doing and no one else uses the computer you'll be fine.